• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • e_digg
    258 I6
    • Oct 26, 2009

New tire thread for stock rims

I did some searching and I really didn't see any threads that were within the last 5 years. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on tires but wanted to hear from some of you on what you are using with your stock rims. I have a 2" lift and was thinking of going with Firestone Destination M/T2's or Goodyear Duratracs. I live in VA and around here we experience all weather related scenarios year round. I personally like to drive in the snow and would like to do some basic off-roading with the Jeep. Have you any experience with my two tires above or what do you suggest? Let me know. Also pics are great to see as well.

Thanks
    Ed
    1991 Grand Wagoneer
    My 91 Phoenix Build Thread
  • JDD
    232 I6
    • Oct 01, 2011

32 11.5 15 on my stock wheels, about a 4” lift. I would try 31 10.5 for a 2” lift.

Comment

• ZackN920
      350 Buick
      • Nov 18, 2015

Just a 2" lift? Hell, stock size still looks good on a 2". That's what I got... 235/75/R15

Do some research if you want to go up in size. I THINK that I have read that even with a 2" lift, a 31" tire can rub in certain situation's. Don't know if that was just because of being taller or due to it being wider...

With my Wag, at the time I got tires I went cheap. Not too cheap though, I don't trust foreign (china) tires . I got a new set of Goodyear Wrangler Radial's. $280. I put em' on myself with my tire changer so that's all it cost me. (They've since gone up unless you can get them on a sale like I did)

Overall, I'm impressed with them. My GW is my most capable vehicle when it comes to snow. It goes through taller than my Suburban would and does better than Dad's '02 Jeep GC. I've parked into snowbanks as tall as the fender opening and was able to crawl it back out. With the full time 4X4 it does awesome with regular everyday snowy road conditions.

In the rain, they could be better. With how I tend to drive, I usually end up peeling out on one rear wheel or the other in a turn from a stop. I just flip it into 4X4 when it's wet out, then it don't slip around at all... Unless I'm putting the pedal on the floor!

Overall, I like them for a cheap tire. I like the general design too, its been around for over 30 years. This model line of tire was put on Jeeps that were coming out of the factory. It's too bad they only offer the one size at this point. Damn it... I'm rambling. You didn't ask about these tires, but its what I got and you mentioned snow...

Here's the most current pic of my Jeep I got online right now. Taken back in NOV.

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
      Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
      ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• e_digg
        258 I6
        • Oct 26, 2009

What's the difference between English or Metric tire sizes? The size closest to 31x10.5r15 is 265/75R15. So it's only a little wider?

Zack, that is exactly what I was looking for and I appreciate all the knowledge!
        1991 Grand Wagoneer
        My 91 Phoenix Build Thread

Comment

• jeepman1
          258 I6
          • Jul 22, 2015

Tars

I'm putting 37's on my stock white spokes, just like the look alot more than the 20" idiot wheels you see running around these days..
          : 98 9er
          '83 Honcho j10
          '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
          '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
            232 I6
            • Sep 08, 2019

I live in Colorado and have been 4-wheeling for 30 years. I have tried lots of different tires over the years. The best ones that have worked for me and many other 4-wheelers out here are the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2. I have a 4" lift on my Grand Wagoneer and I am running the 31x10.5x15's on stock rims with no wheel well triming. The KO2's work great on the road, in the rain, in the dirt, in snow and on the rocks. They do get more torn up rock crawling than mud terrains, but work much better in the snow and on ice due to the siping. I am running the BFG All Terrains (original or KO2's) on 4 XJ's, my Grand Wagoneer and a Ford Expedition.

My friend got the duratracks on his X-Terra when they came out. They were pretty quiet when new, but got very noisy after putting some miles on them, even with rotating the tires.

I know that everyone has an opinion about what is best and I respect everyone's opinion. I am just sharing my experience in the hope that it will be helpful to you. I am not trying to start an argument or a flaming war.

Best of luck in choosing what will work best for you.

Comment

• FSJunkie
              The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
              • Jan 09, 2011

STA Super Traxion H78-15LT 6-ply Nylon on 15x6 steel wheels.
              '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

Working...
              X