You think I need a moisture barrier for ABS door cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

You think I need a moisture barrier for ABS door cards?

I am just about done stretching my factory vinyls over my Men-in-black ABS door cards and my doors are rebuilt (new seals/gaskets/scrapers). The factory had that plastic sheet moisture barrier between the door and the door card but I assume it's to protect the factory board stuff from sucking up water and turning into mildewing messes. My ABS cards won't do that and I plan to velcro my door cards on so I don't think I "NEED" to redo the moisture barrier.

If if was your rig, what you put a new moisture barrier on?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • miracleed
    232 I6
    • Feb 19, 2019

i'm not planning to with mine. i assumed that the moisture barrier was there because the original cardboard was a essentially a sponge indirectly/directly (depending on your window seals) exposed to the environment.
    '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

• SJTD
      304 AMC
      • Apr 26, 2012

You do need it.

It isn't only a moisture barrier. it also, if properly installed, directs water back into the door to the drains rather than running down the inside of your waterproof ABS panel and into the bottom of the upholstery and down to the carpet.

Even modern cars with ABS door cards still have the plastic sheeting.
      Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• rws31
        258 I6
        • Dec 10, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
        You do need it.

It isn't only a moisture barrier. it also, if properly installed, directs water back into the door to the drains rather than running down the inside of your waterproof ABS panel and into the bottom of the upholstery and down to the carpet.

Even modern cars with ABS door cards still have the plastic sheeting.

Never even thought about this! Thanks for the insight and thanks for asking Rang.
        89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
        1988 Ramcharger
        1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
        2003 Durango 4x4
        1982 CJ7 4 banger
        2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

Working...
        X