• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by 63J200atLSU
    People ask me when I'm getting new rims all the time but I'm sticking with these rims! I found a guy on the Facebook FSJ group who had a pair of NOS Kaiser era dog dishes that I picked up. They're amazing. So I'm going to blast the rims and get a good coat of paint on them, but I think I want to do that after I get new tires. I'm planning on doing an all terrain radial just for safety and drive ability and I think the all terrains would look closest to the super traxion tread profile (that would be my first choice if I felt ok with bias ply tires for lots of driving... may go that way anyhow). That way, the tire shop can mount and balance the tires on the old paint and then I can make them pretty after. I'll keep the posts coming!
    Perfect! excited to see it done! Will be watching and rooting for you from SoCal!
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
      360 AMC
      • Oct 02, 2002

So how many miles have you racked up already?
      Melford1972 says...
      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
      -----------------------
      I make wag parts
      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
      1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
      1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
      1968 M715 restomod
      2001 Dodge 3500
      2002 Toyota Tundra
      2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
      Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Randyzzz
        258 I6
        • Mar 03, 2008

That looks awesome!
        Randy S.
        It's not what you Buy, it's what you Build.
        1987 J20 SOLD
        1966 Waggy SOLD
        1970 Waggy SOLD
        1982 Scrambler SOLD
        1981 Scrambler - Current Project/Keeper

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 15, 2016

A couple things to report:

I got the windows installed in the doors and I got the floors sound dampened. I think the truck is going to be pretty solid. I also got the rear main seal changed out along with the oil pan gasket. That should keep the leaks at bay for a minute.

I was going to get the windshield installed and I'm afraid I've jacked that right up. I'd read around and decided that urethane windshield adhesive was the way to go. I really wish I hadn't. I think using the butyl rope caulk would've worked just fine and at one point, the windshield gasket fell off of the cab and left black urethane adhesive on the dash, the hood and the steering wheel. It also squeezed out onto the A-pillars. This stuff does not budge once it cures. Any solvent that MIGHT remove it would surely strip the paint off. So I'm going to try to heat the sealant a little and use a plastic scraper to get most of it off then very carefully sand it down to the clear and see if I can't buff it out. I can repaint the steering wheel, but I'm just sick about the dash and pillars. I also managed to put a crack in the windshield before I decided I should put my work down for the day. Now I'm in Alabama with the family for a little vacation before school starts back up.

The good news is the truck is running great. I don't forgotten how much tinkering I'd done with the engine before I put the truck in the garage.

Also, if I can't repair the crack on the windshield, safelite has told me that they can do a new windshield with a new gasket, installed for $300. So I'll not be putting any more money into the windshield or a new gasket.

More soon!
          '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
          (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

I also got the rear main seal changed out along with the oil pan gasket. That should keep the leaks at bay for a minute.
            AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA! funny because its true! LOL!
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
              327 Rambler
              • Dec 04, 2016

I used Hurkliner on my 95 YJ interior- used Duraliner on underside. Loved them both!

Loved the progress. That just means you get to start the road trip to join Todd, Al, an me! Moab??? I'll lead the trails!
              1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
              Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                So how many miles have you racked up already?
                Nary a one, Al! Once I get the seatbelts and the seat back in, I'll start running errands in it, even without the bed. In fact, I'll probably end up driving the truck to get the bed that I'm going to hack up for the truck. Seems like the truck it's going on would be a pretty good hauling vehicle!

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                  360 AMC
                  • Oct 02, 2002

Well you will be driving before we will. Sorry to hear about the windshield woe's. If it makes you feel any better things are not perfect here either. I degreased the new spray gun and shot the hood and fenders again. I hate the new gun as the streaks in the hood are terrible and the dern thing made fish eyes from oil droplets on everything. I did not get the assembly oil out enough. I am sanding everything back down again today and doing a super clean on my old spray gun. I know that gun and I can make streaks not be there with that one. I am pretty frustrated by this paint work. It is challenging me. It feels like the movie ground hog day.

Have a good vacation and come back refreshed.
                  Melford1972 says...
                  I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                  -----------------------
                  I make wag parts
                  1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                  1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                  1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                  1968 M715 restomod
                  2001 Dodge 3500
                  2002 Toyota Tundra
                  2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                  Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• toddthewelder
                    258 I6
                    • Dec 30, 2010

Originally posted by Frank Ziebert
                    I used Hurkliner on my 95 YJ interior- used Duraliner on underside. Loved them both!

Loved the progress. That just means you get to start the road trip to join Todd, Al, an me! Moab??? I'll lead the trails!
                    That's a trip I can't wait to be on
                    80 cj 5
                    87 GW
                    Another 87 GW
                    88 GW
                    99 Wrangler
                    07 Dodge 3500
                    67 Chevy SWB
                    2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jan 15, 2016

Long time no post

Sorry for the delay. I'll try and get the few progress pictures up this weekend. School is killing me currently, and this week has been the most intense so far.

I found that the lock cylinder positioning holes on the '91 doors is about a 1/4" lower than on the '63 doors, so short of designing some sort of geared connection between the two, the simplest solution was to install the newer latches in the newer doors. But that would require newer strikers on the cab. And wouldn't you know the holes don't line up at all for the strikers. So as much as it pained me, I had to cut the piece of the door jamb out that houses the striker and re-create it for the newer striker. It wasn't that bad once I got over the initial stress of it, but like I said, I'll post pictures.

Current plan of action (when I actually get a minute):
                      - install seatbelt mounting points
                      -take the dash back out and mask off the rest of the cab from the windshield surround and door jambs (and most likely the inner b-pillar after I get the seatbelt mounts done) and respray those.
                      respray the dash
                      -put the old guy back together and get the windshield in (Safelite quoted me at $300 for a new windshield+gasket+guaranteed install... seems like a no brainer)
                      -button this thing up and go find a bed!

More soon.

Also, and certainly not least in my thoughts. For anyone in the wake of formerly Harvey, or anyone anticipating being hit by Irma, I'm thinking about you. Living in southern Louisiana, I empathize all too well with these kinds of situations and it stirs up a really really intense emotion from me to see so many people facing so much devastation. Be safe.

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jan 15, 2016

I haven't scrapped the build, I swear. School's been rocking me to no end, but I did manage to finish the seatbelt mounting points in the b pillars. I used a piece of 2"wide x 3/16"thick steel c-channel with a grade 8 nut welded to the back of it as a backing plate. I really wanted to increase the overall potential area that'll make contact with the pillar sheet metal in the event that there's an accident. The basic premise of impulse forces is not lost on me. If you can lengthen the duration of the "halt" in an accident from 1 millisecond to 3 milliseconds (which doesn't take very much doing, that amount of time is tiny, obviously) you cut the forces experienced by the driver and occupants by 66%. Now, if the sheet metal in the b-pillars gives, it will actually increase the area that the force is being dissipated over. I call this a win.

I also took the steering column and dash back out, and got to work sanding down the urethane adhesive. Once I get it masked off and primed, I'll spray that, along with the rear fenders and respray the dash. That brings me to......

The windshield. I'm having a helluva time figuring out what to do about the windshield. I cracked mine trying on the first install and then cracked it both more (in the same spot) and again (in a different spot) removing it. Safelite now is saying they don't carry the windshield, which leaves me looking for salvage yard windshields. This would be easy if I lived in an area where there were any FSJs in a junkyard... There's one FSJ in a salvage yard within 250 miles of me and guess what... The windshield is busted.

Anybody have an extra windshield who'll be passing through Baton Rouge? Hit me up!

More soon!

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 20, 2014

Check out a place called windshieldstogo.com, says they have yours for $152.62 here is the number Call Toll-free 800-914-1075 (Hours 9-5 Eastern Time Monday - Friday)
                          1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
                          Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• toddthewelder
                            258 I6
                            • Dec 30, 2010

I haven't scrapped the build, I swear. School's been rocking me to no end, but I did manage to finish the seatbelt mounting points in the b pillars. I used a piece of 2"wide x 3/16"thick steel c-channel with a grade 8 nut welded to the back of it as a backing plate. I really wanted to increase the overall potential area that'll make contact with the pillar sheet metal in the event that there's an accident. The basic premise of impulse forces is not lost on me. If you can lengthen the duration of the "halt" in an accident from 1 millisecond to 3 milliseconds (which doesn't take very much doing, that amount of time is tiny, obviously) you cut the forces experienced by the driver and occupants by 66%. Now, if the sheet metal in the b-pillars gives, it will actually increase the area that the force is being dissipated over. I call this a win.

I also took the steering column and dash back out, and got to work sanding down the urethane adhesive. Once I get it masked off and primed, I'll spray that, along with the rear fenders and respray the dash. That brings me to......

The windshield. I'm having a helluva time figuring out what to do about the windshield. I cracked mine trying on the first install and then cracked it both more (in the same spot) and again (in a different spot) removing it. Safelite now is saying they don't carry the windshield, which leaves me looking for salvage yard windshields. This would be easy if I lived in an area where there were any FSJs in a junkyard... There's one FSJ in a salvage yard within 250 miles of me and guess what... The windshield is busted.

Anybody have an extra windshield who'll be passing through Baton Rouge? Hit me up!

More soon!
                            I was starting to think you'd been kidnapped, or at very least lost your internet privileges.
                            80 cj 5
                            87 GW
                            Another 87 GW
                            88 GW
                            99 Wrangler
                            07 Dodge 3500
                            67 Chevy SWB
                            2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                              Shakes hands with danger
                              • Jul 01, 2012

The windshield. I'm having a helluva time figuring out what to do about the windshield...Anybody have an extra windshield who'll be passing through Baton Rouge? Hit me up!
                              Is there any reason not to bite the bullet and have a new windshield put in? This seems like one of those cases where trying to save money with used parts ends up costing more than just picking up the phone and buying a new one.
                              '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                              High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                                327 Rambler
                                • Jan 15, 2016

I did check out windshieldstogo, I have one one the way.

Todd, nobody wants to kidnap me, I'm far too grumpy during the semester and I eat too much.

Dark, I started off wanting a new windshield, but couldn't find them for the life of me, so then I was scanning the used market.

The windshield I have coming has the tint stripe across the top. I'm not crazy about that. If I ever run across someone with a non-tinted windshield in good shape and they want a tinted one, maybe we can do a swap... until then, I'll be fine with it.

I get out of class tomorrow at 8:30AM. Guess what I'll be working on then!!

Comment

Working...
                                X