International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM

Trying to salvage my Tailgate trim piece?

I trying to salvage my rear tailgate trim piece. (piece the top of the 88-91 tailgate to protect the rear window when it's down)

It has 7 screw holes in it, and only about 3 of mine are still there as most of the plastic screw "pots" are cracked or long disappeared. The trim pice itself is in pretty good shape so I would like to figure out a way to salvage it.

What I was thinking is since the trim is hollow, is filling it with some sort of epoxy or urethane to give it strength. This would give the working screw "pots" some strength, and also give me the ability to repair the broken holes because I would have new material to drill into for new holes.

Anyone tried any kind of repair on these?

This is the type of material I am thinking of. It's the same stuff you see in bars that is poured and then left to dry:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.USaMNlqG24c
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM
out of order

I'd stick with a 2 part epoxy, or a plastic repair resin vs what you're looking @.
Usually comes in a syringe.
Home Depot has some, auto parts stores will have some too.

Rough it up a little, tape the holes on the bottom, and partially fill the holes (not to the top).
After it cures peel the tape off, and drill new holes.

I've used bumper repair products on broken plastic pieces with good results.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 PM

X2 on the 2 part epoxy instead.

With all the talk of 3D printers, I think the tailgate washer trim piece is a prime candidate. Print it out in 2 or three pieces. Would still be cheaper than paying for tooling and a minimum run of 5,000.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM

If I do the 2 part epoxy in the syringe, it might cost me a fortune though??? I am planning on filling the entire trim piece with epoxy.

Anyone have a link to a particular brand that I am looking for? Looking for something that doesn't expand too much when drying/setting up. I was going to make a level jig on my workbench, and just fill all the voids and see what happens. Worst case is that I ruin it and I'll hacve to try and find another one.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

how about fiberglass resin? a quart is what 30 bucks or so?

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Where are you? I ain't the only auto-body guy around here, one probably lives near you! Seriously, with all the "issues" surrounding these old things, someone has dealt with it before, some better than others. Puke up some pics or a location and we'll lick this in no time!
What's been did:
Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
MSD Streetfire based TFI
Custom-hack gauge cluster
Razor swap
Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
2 knob tape deck!
3" homebuilt lift
Half a hillbilly paint job
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzam
If I do the 2 part epoxy in the syringe, it might cost me a fortune though??? I am planning on filling the entire trim piece with epoxy.

Anyone have a link to a particular brand that I am looking for? Looking for something that doesn't expand too much when drying/setting up. I was going to make a level jig on my workbench, and just fill all the voids and see what happens. Worst case is that I ruin it and I'll hacve to try and find another one.

Use the West Systems Epoxy (You can pick it up at most boating stores). Mix it with chopped fiberglass mat to thicken/strengthen it. You'll also need to sand and degrease the inside of the trim before you pour the epoxy in so it will have a rough surface to grab.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDONE
Where are you? I ain't the only auto-body guy around here, one probably lives near you! Seriously, with all the "issues" surrounding these old things, someone has dealt with it before, some better than others. Puke up some pics or a location and we'll lick this in no time!

I'm just north of Atlanta. I will take some pics of the piece and see what you guys think. Fiberglass resin might work, I've just never really used the stuff.

I'll try to post some pics this weekend.