International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Events > Ouray FSJ Invasion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:24 AM
derf's Avatar
derf derf is offline
360 AMC
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,405
2012 Ouray caravan from the upper midwest?

Is it too early to start organizing caravans to get to Ouray next year?

It's going to be a 2 day drive for me. I wouldn't mind meeting up with people along the way so we can ride into Ouray together.

My route will take me down I-80 from eastern Iowa to western Nebraska. I plan on peeling off on I-76 to Denver and then I-70 towards western Colorado. I'm not sure what the best route would be once I get west of Denver but I'm sure someone has a good suggestion. Google maps has me going to Grand Junction on I-70 and south on US-50 to Ouray. Though it looks like there's a couple routes to go through Buena Vista and Poncha Springs that might be better than droning along on the interstate.

I have two thoughts on timetables. The first is to make the ~1130 mile trip in two days. I'd leave home in the morning on the 16th, stop in far eastern Colorado, then pick up the trail again in the morning, stopping in Denver for early lunch with my cousin, and getting into Ouray in the evening on the 17th.

My second thought would be to leave on the 15th and get a couple hundred miles knocked off, getting to at least Nebraska. From there, I'd get to Denver and stop to visit my cousin for the night. That would give me more time to enjoy the trip from Denver through the mountains to Ouray.

What do y'all think? Anyone interested in joining up with a caravan?
__________________
Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
grand_wag_85's Avatar
grand_wag_85 grand_wag_85 is offline
Murphy's Law Poster Child
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2003
Posts: 10,707
I'm planning on running I80-I76 as well but getting off at Copper Mtn and going south thru Leadville to Poncha Springs and over Monarch Pass. Not sure of my dates yet, vacation won't get approved until New Year's.

As far as driving time, with an FSJ always leave yourself extra time. You never know when the vapor lock fairy will pay you a visit.
__________________
You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2011, 12:31 PM
derf's Avatar
derf derf is offline
360 AMC
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by grand_wag_85
I'm planning on running I80-I76 as well but getting off at Copper Mtn and going south thru Leadville to Poncha Springs and over Monarch Pass. Not sure of my dates yet, vacation won't get approved until New Year's.

As far as driving time, with an FSJ always leave yourself extra time. You never know when the vapor lock fairy will pay you a visit.

That looks like a good route to take.

But I do agree with you on having extra time. I'm leaning towards the 3 day trip so I have that cushion. The 15th is a Sunday so there's no problem taking that extra time.
__________________
Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:24 PM
ne715 ne715 is offline
Master Mechanic
 
Join Date: Mar 16, 2006
Location: Cozad, NE
Posts: 967
We will be leaving out of Central Nebraska on the 15th and pulling into Ouray the 16th. We usually travel I-80 to I-76 and south at Brush CO Hwy 71 to Limon, pick up Hwy 24 to Colorado Springs, then 115 to Canon City, Pick up 50 across to Montrose and south on 550. We have tried several alternative routes the last 5 years, and this one seems to work the best for us, but we try and avoid Denver at all possible costs.

If you want to leave on the 14th and make it to Cozad NE we could put you up for the night and leave here the next morning. We usually make it a two day trip from here due to sick and tired of sitting up tents in the dark. We usually stay in Salida CO overnight and carry on the next morning. You would have to promise to keep Truck Norris away from Mikki's Honcho, we don't need any little FSJ's running around here.
Pam

Last edited by ne715 : 11-08-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 PM
derf's Avatar
derf derf is offline
360 AMC
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne715
We will be leaving out of Central Nebraska on the 15th and pulling into Ouray the 16th. We usually travel I-80 to I-76 and south at Brush CO Hwy 71 to Limon, pick up Hwy 24 to Colorado Springs, then 115 to Canon City, Pick up 50 across to Montrose and south on 550. We have tried several alternative routes the last 5 years, and this one seems to work the best for us, but we try and avoid Denver at all possible costs.

If you want to leave on the 14th and make it to Cozad NE we could put you up for the night and leave here the next morning. We usually make it a two day trip from here due to sick and tired of sitting up tents in the dark. We usually stay in Salida CO overnight and carry on the next morning. You would have to promise to keep Truck Norris away from Mikki's Honcho, we don't need any little FSJ's running around here.
Pam

Well, I do have a cousin that lives in Denver proper and I do want to stop by and see him and the family on my way through.
__________________
Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 PM
ne715 ne715 is offline
Master Mechanic
 
Join Date: Mar 16, 2006
Location: Cozad, NE
Posts: 967
This year we took 285 out of Denver to Poncha Springs, not a bad drive, good highway. You get to go through South Park Colorado.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Hutcho's Avatar
Hutcho Hutcho is offline
Gear Head
 
Join Date: Jun 22, 2010
Location: Neosho, MO
Posts: 641
We will we coming from neosho, mo no clue on what route haven't thought that far ahead yet. But also leaving the Saturday before and staying all week probably leave the next Saturday...sorry bout lack of dates but I'm not near my Calender and too lazy to get out of typing this and look LOL! Would be really cool to have a convoy of Fsjs! You could see the leaks and smoke from space! Lol
__________________
Formally known as "oilfieldtrash354"

"Grandpas" 1979 J-10 resto/mod-on hold for now

Preparing for Ouray 2013!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 AM
grand_wag_85's Avatar
grand_wag_85 grand_wag_85 is offline
Murphy's Law Poster Child
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2003
Posts: 10,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne715
This year we took 285 out of Denver to Poncha Springs, not a bad drive, good highway. You get to go through South Park Colorado.

Gorgeous route, one of my favorite drives
__________________
You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2011, 03:59 PM
derf's Avatar
derf derf is offline
360 AMC
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne715
This year we took 285 out of Denver to Poncha Springs, not a bad drive, good highway. You get to go through South Park Colorado.

That could be a fun route.
__________________
Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 AM
HOOT's Avatar
HOOT HOOT is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 28, 2003
Location: Taylor Mill,KY 41015
Posts: 5,592
I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction is a very scenic drive. Most people will be driving way too fast around you but it is worth it if you've never been there before. The drive from GJ down to Ouray is very scenic but a scary drive if you are afraid of a break down. Some historic places to see along the way and not many people around. The drive along the Delores River is great.
I go in from the north usually and tried the southern approach once but usually always leave out over Monarch Pass (wish SJ was still there).

Not sure which way I'll be taking this time. I'll most likely be leaving on Friday the 13th, I like to temp the spirits. I also like avoiding the interstate when possible so will probably be heading out across MO again and out the panhandle of OK.
I'll be out there somewhere is all I can say at this point may have it on a trailer or if all goes well I'll be driving it.

My time at KOA starts on Sunday 7/15 (I'll leave a light on for you) and goes till Sunday 7/22. Most likely trekking north from there to MT via ID.
__________________
Tom Gibson
1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Last edited by HOOT : 11-16-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 AM
derf's Avatar
derf derf is offline
360 AMC
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,405
I've done I-70 all the way from Denver to Utah once already. And I'm the kind of guy who does different routes for the sake of going a different route. I like the idea of trying out a different way there.
__________________
Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Tonka J200's Avatar
Tonka J200 Tonka J200 is offline
FSJ Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 21, 2002
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 3,108
I'm not sure what next summer holds for us yet. Gotta see how finances etc. will be holding up. If we can swing it, we're going to try and make it out there again. I'm really hoping to!

If we can go, I'd love to caravan with you! The route we took last year took me right by you on the way out. I could follow you to the Denver area and I'll run up and visit my cousin in Longmont, then head out from there.

If I can get my truck done I'd love to take it instead of my Grand Wagoneer! Imagine Truck Norris and Truck E. Cheese blasting down the highway together! What could be cooler than that!?! Fuggedaboutit!!
__________________
-Frank
'63 J200 2WD
'63 J200 4WD: J20 Axles, extended wheelbase, factory stakebed
'63 J100 Panel Delivery
'91 Grand Wagoneer Final Edition
"If you're going to laugh about it someday, you might as well start now".
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Sharps Shooter's Avatar
Sharps Shooter Sharps Shooter is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: Nov 18, 2010
Location: NW Washington
Posts: 127
NW Upstart had mentioned roundin up as many of us North Westernes as possable to make the Ouray run in2012, but i have no idea what the best route to git there is from here.. Anyone have any idea?.. NW Washington, is kinda the farthest from anywhere as far as i know..lol.. I'm about 100 feet from SR 20. (North Cascades Hway), & a stones throw from I-5
__________________
BUMP IT, or JUMP IT!!!. Either Way, Yer Goin Through!!!

Last edited by Sharps Shooter : 11-16-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
grand_wag_85's Avatar
grand_wag_85 grand_wag_85 is offline
Murphy's Law Poster Child
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2003
Posts: 10,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps Shooter
NW Upstart had mentioned roundin up as many of us North Westernes as possable to make the Ouray run in2012, but i have no idea what the best route to git there is from here.. Anyone have any idea?.. NW Washington, is kinda the farthest from anywhere as far as i know..lol.. I'm about 100 feet from SR 20. (North Cascades Hway), & a stones throw from I-5

Get down to I84 and then to I15 towards SLC. From there catch US6 to Green River then I70 to Grand Junction and US50 down to Ouray.

OR after you get to Green River head south thru Moab, Monticello and over the mountain into Colorado. Not a bad drive but I've only done it at night.
__________________
You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Sharps Shooter's Avatar
Sharps Shooter Sharps Shooter is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: Nov 18, 2010
Location: NW Washington
Posts: 127
[quote=grand_wag_85]Get down to I84 and then to I15 towards SLC. From there catch US6 to Green River then I70 to Grand Junction and US50


Thay Ya Kindly.. with any luck, i'll have the fundin to pull off the trip, with a couple extra K for spendin money.
__________________
BUMP IT, or JUMP IT!!!. Either Way, Yer Goin Through!!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 PM
derf's Avatar
derf derf is offline
360 AMC
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka J200
I'm not sure what next summer holds for us yet. Gotta see how finances etc. will be holding up. If we can swing it, we're going to try and make it out there again. I'm really hoping to!

If we can go, I'd love to caravan with you! The route we took last year took me right by you on the way out. I could follow you to the Denver area and I'll run up and visit my cousin in Longmont, then head out from there.

If I can get my truck done I'd love to take it instead of my Grand Wagoneer! Imagine Truck Norris and Truck E. Cheese blasting down the highway together! What could be cooler than that!?! Fuggedaboutit!!

My cousin is on the north side of Denver so that could be very easy. As far as joining up, we could meet up in the Iowa City area where I would pick up with I-80 and go from there. The two trucks together would be very cool indeed.
__________________
Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 AM
grand_wag_85's Avatar
grand_wag_85 grand_wag_85 is offline
Murphy's Law Poster Child
 
Join Date: Dec 03, 2003
Posts: 10,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf
My cousin is on the north side of Denver so that could be very easy. As far as joining up, we could meet up in the Iowa City area where I would pick up with I-80 and go from there. The two trucks together would be very cool indeed.

Depending on which dates I can get for vacation and if I can make it work I'd love to be part of the convoy.
__________________
You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
derf's Avatar
derf derf is offline
360 AMC
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by grand_wag_85
Depending on which dates I can get for vacation and if I can make it work I'd love to be part of the convoy.

The more the merrier.
__________________
Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM
derf's Avatar
derf derf is offline
360 AMC
 
Join Date: Jul 12, 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,405
I've been doing some thinking about my trip out and back. I know, very dangerous. I've thought about skipping the interstates, at least on the way out. And maybe just for parts of the trip.

My thinking is that I've done that I-80 trip from Iowa through Nebraska twice already in my life. Maybe taking a different route out there would make it a little more interesting. It might be fun to limit my route to US highways so I can see parts of America I haven't already seen.

I'll probably just jump on the interstates for the trip home since I'll probably be anxious to get that part of the trip out of the way. But maybe having a more scenic route out there could be fun.

Would anyone feel like joining me for that kind of convoy?
__________________
Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:15 PM
ne715 ne715 is offline
Master Mechanic
 
Join Date: Mar 16, 2006
Location: Cozad, NE
Posts: 967
Hwy 6 through Nebraska would be a good trip, if you take it I would recommend stopping in Minden at Pioneer Village.

Hwy 6 would keep you on a route into CO, but not interstate. Most of it is 60-65 MPH.

Pam
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Ouray FSJ Invasion - July 18-20, 2012 fulsizjeep Ouray FSJ Invasion 491 01-23-2013 07:43 AM
2009 Ouray FSJ Invasion - July 22-24, 2009 fulsizjeep Ouray FSJ Invasion 419 07-26-2009 11:26 PM
2008 Ouray FSJ Invasion fulsizjeep Ouray FSJ Invasion 519 08-14-2008 10:00 AM
July 11-13, 2007 ~ Ouray FSJ Invasion fulsizjeep Ouray FSJ Invasion 347 07-09-2007 08:57 AM
Ouray Reservations/Convoy's Posted Here!!! Updated 08/9 irbob General FSJ Tech 2 08-09-2002 05:19 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
corner corner