• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BIG BAD JON
    4-Wheel Drive Junky
    • Jan 20, 2002

Tailgate with manual rear window

Okay, Ive absolutely had it with that rear window!!! It wont roll up or down. I drained my battery trying! I know that I had plenty of juice before, cause I started it. So, what all do I need out of a tailgate with the manual rear window?

How hard is the conversion?

*Also, my handle broke off of the mechanism inside the door. How hard is it to replace that junk?
    FSJ-Less...

i did it, nothing to it. all you need to do is take out the motor and convert the key switch to the handle. i think it's easy, you can look in a Haynes maunal for all the details.
    Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
    Originally posted by johnny019
    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• BIG BAD JON
      4-Wheel Drive Junky
      • Jan 20, 2002

Thanks OrangeCherokee, so could anybody tell me what part I need to replace in that door?
      FSJ-Less...

Comment

• Tad
        • Nov 30, 2001

Jon,
        You will need the arm & gear assembly for the inside and the handle and dear drive assembly for the outside, pretty much all the parts from a manual setup. Replacing the latch arm in not too technically challeging but you are working up inside the door and it can just be a little frustrating.
        If you are looking for a used setup, which can be hard to find, don't discount one with a flat/dead spot on the big gears. This is fixable some times and I have a write up for it...
        Large Gear Reversal for Manual Tailate
        ...more common are stripped handles and the small gear drive that's on the outside.
        If you are going for new parts I think Brent at BJ's has those parts in stock.
        You are going to be checking other things inside there too like the condition and alignment of the side tracks and that usually rusted bottom track that holds the glass in. Lot of good write ups on that stuff out there.
        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Nobby
          258 I6
          • Jul 29, 2002

Yep you can get a manual conversion kit at BJ's here's a link. Look in New Items at the bottom of the list. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ February 03, 2003, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: Nobby ]
          87 Stock V8 GW<br />49 Austin A40 Devon Pickup<br />84 Saab 900 Turbo<br />72 Citroen DS21 Station Wagon

Comment

• BIG BAD JON
            4-Wheel Drive Junky
            • Jan 20, 2002

Thanks guys.
            FSJ-Less...

Comment

• Gary Holmes
              232 I6
              • Sep 10, 2001

I did the conversion on the CAMO COW just recently. Biggest PITA was the handle. The assembly is held together by pressing on a brass/bronze busing loooking piece that had a tendency to pop off and disassemble the whole handle. I drilled and pined the bushing in place and no problems since. The first New regulator mechanism I purchased blew two teeth off one of the large gears right away but the company replace it with no hassle. (4x4 Salvage in Glendale, Arizona). Well worth doing IMO. If anyone wants the electric regulator assembly they can have it for the shipping. It works, just need cleaning and re-lubing.
              \'78 Jeep Cherokee W/T - The \"CAMO COW\" - Way too much to list!!

Comment

• Sitting Bull
                360 AMC
                • Sep 18, 2000

Gary,

I'll take the electric assembly. Thanks for the offer, my zip is 30188 for shipping $$.

Thanks!
                Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

Working...
                X