• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Ironsides
    258 I6
    • Jul 06, 2014

FSJ Mechanic Map?

I commute 75 miles each way to work in my J-10, and got to thinking one day that if I broke down, I may not have time to deal with the issue, and it would be great to know what options are where for help.
    Just like the members map, we could have one for FSJ shops (or willing members that offer services from home). It could be a resource for all members, plus some might become better known and generate some business.

Thoughts anyone?
    Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
    Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
    '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
    '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Just my thoughts. You won't find many if any FSJ specific garages. On the other hand these are really low tech and any decent garage shouldn't be too baffled with an old school carbed pushrod motor. In your part of the world and the tow truck driver offers options between a Chryco dealer or Juan and Manuel's Garage. I'd opt for Juan and Manuel every time.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Tripwire
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 30, 2000

X2 on joes post or stop for a break at every mom and pop cafe along your route and ask for a good shop with old geezers working there..

in many cases - if the mechanic kid cant hook his computer up to it - it will be like a pig looking at a watch
      Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
        350 Buick
        • Jan 18, 2004

I have to agree. The mom and pop shops with the old mechanics always do the best work on my fsj, (when I don't do it myself). Many years ago I tried to get a carb rebuilt and a shop with younger mechanics and they were baffled. They did the job and wound up not charging me as the carb was so mucked up. They did not get it correct and they could not tune it properly. They gave up and referred me to a mom and pop speed shop with some older guys who had no problems with it at all. It was second nature to them. ,(Too bad that speed shop closed when the owner retired) but you get the idea. it
        88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
        89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
        2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
        1. TBI
        2. New fuel tank
        3. AW-4 Transmission
        4. Aluminum condensor
        5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

• letank
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 03, 2002

Good idea, but Mom and Pop are retired now... Good luck finding a place that has thinking minds, as said: if it can be hooked up you will have a solution, otherwise nobody will have a solution. A few years ago even the dealership (german brand) had to upgrade the transmission chip to diagnose transmission issues, with the upgraded chip the diagnostic could not be established...

I have been checking the gm sites about the vortec 5.3 potential issues... same things, people and shops seem to replace parts at random... even with the diagnostic interface... In the end, it is all about how the problem is approached...
          Michel
          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Tanker
            350 Buick
            • Jan 04, 2005

For your info we have for several years sold parts to t and j performance in orange ca. There web site gets weird at times.
            Owner of Jakes FSJ Junkyard 91 Jeep Cherokee /2006 3500 Dodge AKA Babe the big blue puller
            Hire the handicapped, they are fun watch!

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
              350 Buick
              • Feb 15, 2010

A good idea, you will be hard pressed to find shops to work on older vehicles anymore, it may be old technology but the new "mechanics" are just part changers anymore. We have been advertising for mechanics for sometime and are having a very hard time finding any. No one wants to work blue collar anymore, its an industry wide issue and not just old school vehicle issues. Now having said that I can't help you in so cal but if anyone is in the northwest phoenix area and needs repairs done I can help on weekends as a side business I do for extra cash.

Comment

• Old Ironsides
                258 I6
                • Jul 06, 2014

Good points everyone. I'm sure we all know who is good at what in the FSJ world. My question is:

Perhaps members (or members who know of people) who are willing to work on our FSJs would be willing to post location and contact info?

It could be a good resource for our members if enough interest is there.
                Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
                Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
                '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
                '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• ZackN920
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 18, 2015

Well, ya got the locations on the other side of the member profile names, most of us work on our own vehicles. I know I do. So, probably wouldn't be a big deal if your in the area and pull up for some help. But, would seem a little weird though.

I often wonder how a modern shop would do trying to work on older cars without the obd2 ports and with carburetors. I never give them a chance because I do my own work... and I am very cheap. I've been told many times that I should get a job as a mechanic, but too many negatives for me. Unappreciated, bad pay, don't like the idea of book time pay(leads to throwing parts at a problem and pissing off the customer) have to use MY personal tools, and i'd be working on modern junk, that I hate with a passion. Top that off with all the health problems it leads to if you make it a life long career. Probably kill my enthusiasm to work on my own vehicles as well so they'd get pushed to the side. All I really have interest in (in automechanics) would be to work on old cars. Kind of odd to others I guess, as I'm in my 20's with this kind of mindset. That's most of my reasons for not wanting to be a mechanic. It'd be awesome to find a job at a restoration shop. All kinds of different oldies coming in and out.

Another thing I just thought about that someone above mentioned: Most shops are parts swappers. I don't like this as well. I'd rather rebuild an engine or transmission than swap a ''jasper rebuild'' in. Everyone just wants to swap another in, instead of fixing it in the first place.
                  1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                  Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                  ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• badaboom
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jun 05, 2001

Tyical answer

What is a J10, who makes that ?
                    Are you sure its not a Cherokee
                    1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

Working...
                    X