• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue88
    232 I6
    • Sep 10, 2012

Flat towing with a 229 TFC

Hope to buy another G.W. this holiday weekend as a parts car. I wanna use the drivetrain parts to rebuild and swap into the wife's rig. That way theres less down time . The front shaft is out for whatever reason. It won't start, so is it safest to pull the rear shaft and get it on a dolly? I've read about trashing the v.c. and would like to avoid damaging parts.
    Thanks,
    88 Grand Wagoneer, 360,727, 229, 3.31 dana 44s. TFI conversion. 2 inch rough country spring/block lift. Pátina and faded wood grain.

Pull the shaft = safe bet. Just don't forget when you disconnect so it doesn't roll away!
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
      • Mar 20, 2005

I would remove the rear driveshaft as well. There are ways you could do it without doing that, but why chance it? 4 bolts at the rear axle and the driveshaft is disconnected. Wire it up with baling wire and tow it on home.
      Ethan Brady
      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Blue88
        232 I6
        • Sep 10, 2012

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not going far with it, just don't want to break stuff I need for later.
        88 Grand Wagoneer, 360,727, 229, 3.31 dana 44s. TFI conversion. 2 inch rough country spring/block lift. Pátina and faded wood grain.

Comment

Working...
        X