• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dazer
    232 I6
    • Feb 22, 2009

moving out to cali!!

So barring any screw up during my phone interview i'm transferring out to temecula,ca this august..bringing the 86' wagoneer with me! My mom who lives in san diego is also gunna be bringing out alot of her crap so she's gunna rent the truck and i'll pull the wagoneer behind it on a trailer. Should be a fun drive!

My biggest question is..being a MA car, what issues am i going to run into getting it registered in cali?
    1986 GW with BDS 4" lift, 32" mud terrains and a built 360
    www.fatdaddyproductions.com
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

You'll have to complete a VIN verification, basically an inspection by DMV to verify the VIN & title match.
    Pay them some money based on the vehicle value & you'll also have to pass the lovely smog test.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• AnnieL
      304 AMC
      • Nov 07, 2004

Cool! Another FSJ'er in SoCal.

Here's some info that'll help you out regarding your registration issues-(be SURE to bring proof of insurance with you-or you are completely wasting your time!)

How To Register An Out-of-State Vehicle
      (Nonresident Vehicle)

Definition of a nonresident vehicle

A nonresident vehicle was last registered outside the state of California. Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware of the registration requirements.

When fees are due
      Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:
      • Accept gainful employment in California.
      • Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
      • Rent or lease a residence in California.
      • Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
      • Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

NOTE: Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed.
      Registering the vehicle

The following is required to register a nonresident vehicle:
      • An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) (PDF) signed by all registered owners as they appear on the out-of-state registration and/or title. Enter the name(s) and address of the registered owner(s) and lienholder (legal owner), if any, and complete the questions on the application.
      • Last issued out-of-state title. (Not required if there is no change of registered owner and a California title is not requested.) If the out-of-state title is not surrendered the California registration card issued will say nontransferable and a California title will not be issued.Last issued registration certificate, if the applicant is the same as the registered owner shown on the out-of-state title and the vehicle entered California with valid out-of-state registration, or if the title has been lost.
      • Last issued registration certificate or renewal notice for the current year or a letter from the last registration jurisdiction verifying the registration period.
      • The vehicle must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier. These inspections are most easily obtained by bringing the vehicle to the nearest DMV, where there is no extra fee charged for the inspection. For faster service, make an Appointment(s) .
      • Smog certification, if applicable
      • Weight certificate, if applicable
      Out of state vehicle registration checklist:
      ~AnnieL ~

"I think, therefore I'm single.?

Director: Mojave Desert Animal Rescue
      http://www.AnimalResQ.org

~'89 GW- "Harsh Mistress " BJ's 4 Inch Lift, 31" Bridgestone REVOS, Quick Disconnect Swaybars, Pro Comp shocks...and...crappy paint!

Comment

• manimal
        327 Rambler
        • Oct 18, 2008

HEY we will be neighbors! Well almost
        -Lance
        --------------------------------
        -Lance

Originally posted by REDONE
        Bring some wet-naps. I'm gonna lick everything you butt doesn't touch!!!!
        Originally posted by fulsizjeep
        Heck Yeah, I am an equal opportunity offender today and think we should all get bent.

Comment

• sappy76
          327 Rambler
          • Dec 26, 2007

Temecula?

Transferring to Temecula? Who do you work for?

I lived in Ramona for 10 years working in the San Diego area. The biggest hurdle to overcome with the DMV is having the proper smog equipment installed. California does both a sniffer check and a visual. Your rig may pass with flying colors on the sniffer but if you are missing even one vacuum line, you will fail.

I recently modified my 76 cherokee with a 401 and EFI from Howell. I spent an extra $100 to get the 50 state legal version and the firewall decal just in case I move back. (I'm currently exploring the possibilities.)
          1976 Chief
          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=96753

Comment

• Dazer
            232 I6
            • Feb 22, 2009

I work for apple. Yea i'll prob need some help when i get there getting everything looking right lol.

Comment

• pablo_max
              258 I6
              • Dec 19, 2008

Really..I dont know why everyone complains about smog regs in CA.. I have never had even a single issue with my 72 sporting a nice big 401

Originally posted by Dazer
              I work for apple. Yea i'll prob need some help when i get there getting everything looking right lol.
              Which part of Apple do you work for? I have some other buddies up there.
              1972 Wagoneer
              401 w/edelbrock Performer manifold and Holley Truck avenger
              Complete MSD ignition system with rev limiter and billet distributor.
              4inch lift.
              t-18/D20
              E-Z wiring kit.

Comment

• Dazer
                232 I6
                • Feb 22, 2009

Nothing crazy..just a genius in the retail stores (we're the guys that replace your iphones and ipods when you drop them in a mud hole). I think the truck will pass fine..i've been meaning to fix up the tiny bit of rust but i have no welding or body experience. And the engine other than needing an oil change and some timing work runs like a banshee.

Comment

• srobertsfsj
                  304 AMC
                  • Aug 26, 2002

Dazer, maybe you can get my iphone replaced for me. (Just dont look at the liquid detector)
                  Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
                  http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep?s temp going towards that 220F mark, I?m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Comment

• Dazer
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 22, 2009

i'll see what i can do

Comment

• Dazer
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 22, 2009

well the first phone interview went well! Have a second scheduled for next wed. If i get the job they want me in temecula the first week of august and then I'd be heading to cupertino for two weeks of training and then back to temecula.

Comment

• Danbert
                        327 Rambler
                        • May 23, 2006

Send free iPhone to:
                        Danbert....

Congrats man, and good luck with that.
                        '83 Wagoneer LTD.
                        Vacuum elimated Dana front axle
                        Building stereo, window tint, roof rack, light bar, and other projects currently underway

Comment

• ChadC
                          230 Tornado
                          • Dec 03, 2006

get a AAA membership and you wont have to stand in line at DMV!
                          1967 327 Wagoneer
                          1971 AMG M151A2 Mutt
                          2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Comment

• AnnieL
                            304 AMC
                            • Nov 07, 2004

I swear ta gawd-the AAA membership fee alone is worth its weight in GOLD as far as DMV stuff goes-I haven't been in the DMV (THANK GAWD) for years-and never have had to wait more than 15-20 minutes to take care of business. My luck is running out though, my DL expires this year-and that's the one thing they don't do-DL renewal.
                            ~AnnieL ~

"I think, therefore I'm single.?

Director: Mojave Desert Animal Rescue
                            http://www.AnimalResQ.org

~'89 GW- "Harsh Mistress " BJ's 4 Inch Lift, 31" Bridgestone REVOS, Quick Disconnect Swaybars, Pro Comp shocks...and...crappy paint!

Comment

• ChadC
                              230 Tornado
                              • Dec 03, 2006

yeah, ya never know when you might need that tow I had to use their jump service when the Optima red top( 1 year old ) crapped out in my SRT8 Cherokee. They were there in 10 minutes. Well worth it for the roadside services, but also for the DMV services too is an even better deal!
                              1967 327 Wagoneer
                              1971 AMG M151A2 Mutt
                              2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Comment

Working...
                              X