• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Predator09
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 04, 2017

Noob to the FSJ, my 79 Chief project

After having a Wrangler of some description for a while I found a '76 CJ7 in pretty good shape for the money so my search was on for Waggy axles to swap under it. I found a '79 Chief just down the road from me with a blown head gasket, my thoughts...."Sweet, I'll see what I can get it for!" Long story short, I got it for $550. So now my thoughts were to yank the 360, rebuild it and swap it and the axles into my CJ. After getting it home and looking it over with the wife we both had this nagging feeling that we should just rebuild it! So I'll be pulling the 360 to rebuild since I was told it was a rebuilt tranny with about 1500 miles on it before the blown head gasket. Everything else seems to be in decent condition for the age.

So here I am, a noob to the FSJ's and taking on a rebuild project! I'm sure I'll be trying to search up a lot of things and probably asking lots of "duh" questions!

So here's my new addition...after a bath, a little grinding on the rust spots and a quick shot of rust-oleum!

• joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

WT axles under a CJ??? I highly suggest before pulling axles do some measuring. WT Chero axles are seriously wider than the entire CJ. Gonna look kinda silly to me but then only you know what your goals are.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Predator09
      230 Tornado
      • Jul 04, 2017

Yeah, that was another point to just rebuilding the Chief...I think I'm just going to go with some wider wheels/tires for the time being but will eventually go with wider/ stronger axles.

P.S. anyone know why all my pictures now say upgrade my account to 3rd party hosting?

Comment

• Predator09
        230 Tornado
        • Jul 04, 2017

Oh, I see now...they want $40 a month to show the pictures...NOT!

Comment

Working...
        X