International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I'm baaack.

Wow, a dedicated diesel swap board. I wish I had this when I started my swap way back in 2003. I think I had the first functional daily driven diesel swap here. Finally got it on the road in 2006 and put about 60K miles on it over the next 4 years. Been sitting since late 2010 due to a bad injection pump and a divorce sucking the life out of me. Well I have a rebuilt pump sitting in the garage along with some other upgrades that I wanted to do so I should be back up and running by spring.

Here's the goods...
87 Grand Wag.
'97 GM 6.5
Electronics junked in favor of a mechanical DB2-4911
Hummer H1 intake (currently being swapped to a truck intake)
Art Carr super diesel towing 700R4 trans
229 T-case...which I blew the viscous apart on my maiden drive yet has somehow managed to go 60K miles. I have a 208 waiting to be rebuilt sitting in the garage.

Other changes include scrapping the open element cone filter and installing a GM Duramax airbox that feeds cold air from the cowl. Some type of intercooling...probably an air/water setup as I don't have much room with the radiator, A/C, and oil and trans coolers. Possibly even an alcohol or water injection system instead of intercooling. Also finally getting the Vintage Air system installed and running so I don't have to drive it for another Arizona summer without A/C.

I have a bunch of pics from the build...somewhere. I'll find them and get them posted.

Looks like there have been some cool diesel builds. Nice work!
-Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM
327 Rambler

Sounds like a very cool project! Please post those pics if you can find them, not to mention a few of how she sits now!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Master Mechanic

Welcome back! You were the inspiration and education for me when I did my swap!

Sorry about your troubles, but I'm glad you're bouncing back.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Master Mechanic

The prodigal son has returned! Glad to see you back on the board, I have read through your project many times.

I've never thought of water injection in exchange for an intercooler....can it offer comprable cooling? It'd be nice to not have to mount an intercooler (save space0

Last edited by jMedia : 02-27-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Thanks for the warm welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jMedia
The prodigal son has returned! Glad to see you back on the board, I have read through your project many times.

I've never thought of water injection in exchange for an intercooler....can it offer comprable cooling? It'd be nice to not have to mount an intercooler (save space0

It isn't totally the same. Basically you have it set so that it only comes on over a certain boost level so it isn't running all the time. The theory (right or wrong) is that you don't really need the intercooler unless you are in boost. So you spray a mist of water into the intake...can either be before or after the turbo...and it cools the air charge. I've seen setups that use both intercooler and water injection and the owners says the water injection makes a difference and lowers EGT and boosts power. If you run alcohol in the tank it supposedly works even better. I'm mostly looking at that because of the lack of room for an intercooler. I'll probably set it up to start spraying when boost hits about 8psi and see how it does.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Master Mechanic

I've looked at water injection too. Are you going the DIY route or buying one of the aftermarket systems?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Master Mechanic

Ya I have been researching them because saving space in the engine compartment is always nice. People seem to be on the fence about wether or not it is a suitable replacement. But it is extremely situational; what you use the vehicle for, which engine, which turbo, how much boost etc.

Speaking of turbos, how is that TE06H working for you??

Totally random: ever thought about propane injection?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Master Mechanic

Also, here is an awesome article about meth injection/nozzle placement:

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
out of order

Good to hear you still have it!
Bummer about the bad stuff that happened, but sometimes life feels the need to kick 'ya in the privates.

I've still got an AMG NV242 from an H1 kicking around if you're looking to upgrade?
I'd probably let it go for the right price.
I sold my 6.5 engine because I needed the money, and probably not going to use it anymore.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:23 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ
. . .

I'm mostly looking at that because of the lack of room for an intercooler. I'll probably set it up to start spraying when boost hits about 8psi and see how it does.

If you search for "Project Humpty" on here you'll find a nice solution to the intercooler location issue that you might like.
Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
Good to hear you still have it!
Bummer about the bad stuff that happened, but sometimes life feels the need to kick 'ya in the privates.

I've still got an AMG NV242 from an H1 kicking around if you're looking to upgrade?
I'd probably let it go for the right price.
I sold my 6.5 engine because I needed the money, and probably not going to use it anymore.

Hmmm. Interesting. PM sent.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jMedia
Ya I have been researching them because saving space in the engine compartment is always nice. People seem to be on the fence about wether or not it is a suitable replacement. But it is extremely situational; what you use the vehicle for, which engine, which turbo, how much boost etc.

Speaking of turbos, how is that TE06H working for you??

Totally random: ever thought about propane injection?

The TE06H is OK. Not the stellar performer that it was hyped up to be. After I get everything back together I'm going to play with a few things to see if I can get better response out of it. If I can't get it to do what I want, then I'll go after a HX-35 mostly because of the aftermarket support and the different housings and wheels will let me build it to what I want.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger4X
If you search for "Project Humpty" on here you'll find a nice solution to the intercooler location issue that you might like.

I just read through that. It doesn't leave much room for oil and trans coolers and A/C condenser.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 PM
King Browless

Welcome Back!

Zack has an A/C condenser on Project Humpty.
He does not have an oil cooler or a trans cooler as he is running a NV4500 5 speed.
I am guessing there is room for those items, but it would need to be planned very carefully.
1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrodoh
...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Hey Bryan! Good to see you still here.

Other option is water/air setup and using something thinner like another AC Condenser as the radiator for the IC setup.