Clear All
  • BigOberg
    oh i wish i had a cool handle.......
    • Jan 20, 2015

Originally posted by Achilles
    Almost across the finish line.
    Ha! I can't even see the finish line yet
    Follow my build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174682

1989 Grand Wagoneer: 360-727-229, 4" BJ's Lift w/32's, Howell Fuel Injection, TFI Conversion

2012 Jeep JKU Sahara: 3" Lift & 35's

Comment

• Achilles
      350 Buick
      • May 12, 2004

Originally posted by BigOberg
      Ha! I can't even see the finish line yet
      My friend, I know the feeling.
      Life happens while you are making plans...............

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
      MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
      http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
      Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925

Comment

• BigOberg
        • Jan 20, 2015

Well we got the tires and alignment done this morning. What do you think?
        (oh the center caps need to go back on. Of course about half the screw heads broke off so I'm going to drill the remaining screws out and re-tap the holes for a machine screw size. Either 6-32 or 8-32.)

The alignment is now straight as an arrow. However there's still something up with the steering. It's still kind of jerky. I've replaced all of the tie rods and drop link as well as a drop pitman arm. Everything is tight an smooth there. I did replace the power steering pump and steering box way back in the beginning of this saga. One of the two could be bad. Or it could be the ball joints. I'm going to jack up the front end and unhook the pitman arm and check to see how the the steering box and pump feel. I can also see how the ball joints feel. They weren't loose when I checked them. But maybe they're rough when turning. Oh and I have a transmission return line that needs to be replaced.
        To be continued!

1989 Grand Wagoneer: 360-727-229, 4" BJ's Lift w/32's, Howell Fuel Injection, TFI Conversion

Comment

• LIbeachbum
          230 Tornado
          • Oct 15, 2015

Awesome, that looks great!!! Do the tires rub anywhere?
          1988 GW

Comment

• Achilles
            350 Buick
            • May 12, 2004

It is looking really nice.
            Life happens while you are making plans...............

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
            MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
            Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925

Comment

• BigOberg
              • Jan 20, 2015

So far as I can tell there's no tire rub. We shall see when the lift settles some. But so far so good. As for my steering issues I messed with her some tonight. The real issue I was having was with return to center. My castor is fine so I was afraid it was too tight ball joints. There's no play in them but she was sitting a long time. I jacked up the front end and disconnected the pitman arm from the box. The wheels turn although they're tight. But I don't think too tight. And there's no play 12-6. And 9-3 is fine cause I replaced all the steering tie rods and drop link. I put everything back together but removed the steering stabilizer. I thought the new one might be too tight. I drove it and is seemed slightly better but not the cure. Although both the steering box and power steering pump are new I was a bit skeptical. I've read on here that others have gotten a bunch of bad ones. That being the case I decided to try to adjust the steering box myself. I loosened the nut on the top of the box while keeping the the Allen screw in place. Once the lock nut was loose I turned the Allen screw counter clockwise to loosen the box up. Tightened back the lock nut then took it for a test drive and wouldn't you know it she was way better. Not perfect but definitely better. I threw the stabilizer back on and loosened it some more. Even better than before. So I think my issue was the steering box was too tight. I already ordered the new pump and box so I will swap out this Napa box with an AC Delco from Rock Auto and see if that works better. But for now I'm just relieved to know that at least for a while I wont be replacing my ball joints. New box should be here in a day or two so I'll throw her in and see if that cures my return to center problem. To be continued...

Comment

• jpsterluvr
                232 I6
                • Jan 28, 2005

Awesome build, what did you do with the stock fuel tank, clean it, replace sending unit??
                1989 TFI, K&N, BJ's 6" lift kit with pro comp shocks and drop pitman arm, Quick disconnect sway bar links, Turbo muffler and high flow cat with new exhaust from the y-pipe back, Rebuilt tranny

Comment

• BigOberg
                  • Jan 20, 2015

Originally posted by jpsterluvr
                  Awesome build, what did you do with the stock fuel tank, clean it, replace sending unit??
                  Thanks jpsterluvr I cleaned out the original poly tank and replaced the rubber tank mat. I replaced the Sending Unit, O-Ring and Plastic Lock Nut. I also replaced both Breather Gaskets and all Hoses. Also replaced the ends on the power and ground wires and put in a new ground to the frame. The gauge is working great now

Comment

• BigOberg
                    • Jan 20, 2015

So my new AC Delco steering box and power steering pump from rock auto showed up today. Like I said before I thought the Napa box I bought new and installed back in January was the problem with return to center issue I was having. I swapped out the box and cleared out all the air in the system. I took her for a drive and wouldn't you know she's steering like a dream. Return to center is solved and she tracks nicely and responds great. So problem solved. Turns out the Napa box I got was crap and the new AC Delco box did the trick. I couldn't be happier and more relieved to have this solved. Sometimes it's a problem replacing everything at once. You have a problem and you don't know what's at fault since it's all new.

Comment

• JeepJeepster
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 04, 2014

Are the AC Delco boxes known for being good? Was yours new or reman? How much play does it have on center?

I have bad luck with steering boxes.
                      2004 Jeep Liberty
                      1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
                      1994 Jeep ZJ I6
                      1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• BigOberg
                        • Jan 20, 2015

Out for a little weekend cruise with the wife and kid

Comment

• bwwhaler
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 17, 2012

looks awesome, great work

But, of course, I am a little biased:
                          87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                          Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• BigOberg
                            • Jan 20, 2015

Ha! Great looking rig you got! I like those fog lights. I think a new harness from serenehill and fog lights are next. Gotta rebuild the tailgate though first.

Comment

• BigOberg
                              • Jan 20, 2015

Well I haven't posted in a while so I figured a little update was in order. So I've been driving her daily for 2+ months now. She's running great!! Haven't done too much more other than rebuild the tailgate. New rear glass lifter bar, tracks, cone bushings and seals. She goes up and down without a hitch now. Also finished the tfi conversion. I needed to swap my old platinum four plugs out for some new single pole plugs gapped to .045". Also swapped out the stock air cleaner for a 14" open element with a 3" tall K&N filter. Here's what she looks like now under the hood.

Next order of business is replace the door lock springs and go through the locks and power windows. Also need to soundproof the roof and install the new headliner I bought. But I'll get yo it when I've got the time. Right now I'm just enjoying driving her. It was a long year of weekends and week nights to get her to this point. And it was totally worth it

Comment

• Gibber
                                232 I6
                                • May 07, 2015

Wow...after reading this thread....I feel so insignificant! Great job on all the work you have done!

So, it has been 3-4 months now since you got the lift and the 32's installed......are you seeing any rubbing?
                                '89 GW
                                TF727
                                Dana 44's (2.73)
                                Baltic Blue/Sand Interior

"Passing everything but Gas Stations"

Comment

Working...
                                X