Gas at ~2 bucks a gallon, How will this effect the Hobby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Moore
    304 AMC
    • May 22, 2006

Gas at ~2 bucks a gallon, How will this effect the Hobby?

With Gas below $2 now and predictions are in the 1.60 to 1.80 area before leveling off should increase demand for our Jeeps.

Prices were increasing before the drop in gas prices, now that demand is going up (might be small, increase, might not), should be in full swing by summer, and supply is low, maybe, just maybe prices will go up, but I think that depends on the economy. Hard to tell, thoughts?
    DDs
    67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
    78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Are people stupid enough to by a gas hog just because gas prices have temporarily dropped?

Probably.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Bill Moore
      304 AMC
      • May 22, 2006

Originally posted by SJTD
      Are people stupid enough to by a gas hog just because gas prices have temporarily dropped?

Probably.
      thought that was a rhetorical question, 6 months from now it will be the new norm......................
      DDs
      67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
      78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by SJTD

Probably.
        X2
        Seems new SUV sales are up significantly. Silly boys. Never thought $2 gas would look good but the key word above is "temporarily". As soon as oil drops to a certain lprice evel and the oil companies decide fracking isn't worth the cost or the greenies shut it down prices will be back up again. Plus the sanctions against Russia are killing their economy(basically oil and LNG sales) and eventually they'll quit screwing around in the Ukraine and you can bet the other major oil producing nations will hold back production to increase demand/prices.
        For you young'uns it'll make a good story someday to tell your grandkids. "Well I remember back in 014/15 when gas was only $2/gal."
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Joe's right

Joe's right-

Anyone who thinks this is 'the new norm' or a 'blessing from the almighty hands of Kaptain Kool Aid' is sorely wrong.

Yeah, go for some drives, excercise the stored FSJ's a bit....but this won't stand.

Now that the ptb know the public will still pay at 4+ a gallon, it will return to their new margin level. And folks who are buying those 'discounted' (yet still overpriced) SUV's will be crying again when things settle down.

Plus, with the mandated, increased CAFE standards, and the new carbon crap laws/bills/etc....that stuff ain't going away, either.

Can't lie, wish I was home, the Wag would definitely get a bit of excercise if it was finished.

Don't mean to come off negative, but again, 'they' aren't gonna let this stand for long. Too much money to be made, to much control to be maintained.

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

LOL

Gone back up 40 cents since this post.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• thechier86
              327 Rambler
              • Mar 16, 2009

Ironically, scrap steel prices have gone down, so my jeeps are actually worth quite a bit less....
              buckle up, i wanna try somethin...

Comment

• mattmopar440
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by thechier86
                Ironically, scrap steel prices have gone down, so my jeeps are actually worth quite a bit less....

dont scrap them Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!
                87' Grand Wagoneer
                401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                Inferior Chevy

Comment

Scrap $ down???

Nah...

Not on those tv auctions.....several months back they actually had a couple FSJ's go thru the blocks- a Wag and a J truck. The Wag went for stupid money, the J truck about 8K.

Too bad the announcers were pretty clueless...but guess Jeeps don't pass thru Barret-Jackson, Mecum, RM, etc., that often.

Was amusing they called the J truck 'cute'. Was also waiting for them to announce that 'GM made AMC's engines, etc.', but that didn't happen, surprisingly.

The Woodie Wags seem to have a niche for some reason, and bring big bucks. Even seen a few with those odd new tires- say, like a 22" chrome
                  gangsta rim, the sidewalls look like 35 series Vette tires, but then they have somewhat knobby treads. Really weird. Yeah, those are posted for like 10-15K online.

It's funny what that does to local sales- 'oh, on BJ a Wag just like mine went for 40K'-

Meanwhile, as you open the doors, the mice scatter, as you open the door, the hinge breaks...kind of funny what tv does to folks.

Sooo...if you want to make some cash, just do the gangsta lift with the no-sidewall knobbies, hose it down with flat black ("patina"), stick a Flowmaster in there, and get paid!

Comment

• draglink
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 17, 2008

dropped another .15 today. I am burning the h. e l. l. out of it right now between GW, F150 and my outboard. Next summer I'm guessing near $4 gallon again
                    '86 GW 6" Rustys, 1 1/2" BJs shackles, 33 BFGs

Comment

• bigun
                      • Feb 10, 2003

As far as I can tell all our traveling other than trips into the big ciry are through for the winter, so it ain't affecting me at all.
                      Sister is worried as to how it is going to affect their heating and A/C business down in W Texas
                      charlie
                      KB0HXA
                      "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                      congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                      How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                      Robert A. Heinlein
                      The birth of CROM is recorded here
                      http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• mokurt
                        258 I6
                        • Feb 23, 2014

Originally posted by Bill Moore
                        should increase demand for our Jeeps.
                        I don't think so.
                        There's only a small amount of FSJ enthusiast's.They would buy one anyway regardless of fuel prices.
                        1967 J2000
                        1985 CJ7

Comment

• Tatsadasayago
                          350 Buick
                          • May 15, 2009

I doubt gas prices will affect our 'hobby' (I prefer the term 'Addiction') much since we are a niche group. I think it's great that we can drive our toys a bit more and further than we normally do.
                          I was going to drive mine to North Dakota and figured it would cost 1k for fuel (I always estimate at 10 MPG). I can do it right now for half that.
                          I'll fly there for 155.00 and come back in May to get the jeep. Hopefully the prices haven't climbed much in the mean time.

Jim
                          KY7DX/6
                          76 401 Wagoneer *The Gag-O-Neer*
                          77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA

Comment

• vacaisle
                            snide. snarky. grease covered.
                            • Mar 18, 2013

Originally posted by bmax65
                            Sooo...if you want to make some cash, just do the gangsta lift with the no-sidewall knobbies, hose it down with flat black ("patina"), stick a Flowmaster in there, and get paid!
                            That's hilarious!
                            89 Grand Wagoneer
                            145,000 miles, TFI, MSD 6a

Comment

Vacaisle.....

Vacaisle-

Well, not really trying to be funny or purposefully sarcastic, it's just what goes on 'back home'.

I've seen quite a few different Jeeps and other 4x4's done up like that- the giant ghetto/gangsta/pimp wheels, and those baloney-skin-wrapper thinwall knobbies on quite a few 4x4's, the dumbest one was a all white XJ Cherokee Limited, slammed to the ground, with the old white/goldwall stripe 13" tires, and gold plated Dayton wires all around. Yeah, gangsta-jeepin'.

Then you got the in your face rednecks, with the 20-30" rims, 8-10 shocks,
                              and a giant version of those thinwall knobbies, doggone truck is like 9 feet tall. Giant diesel stacks spewing worse than an old steam locomotive.
                              Ironically, even with the 3 foot lift, it will NEVER go off pavement.

Oh well, to each their own.

Over the last 20+ years, I've seen and heard the following "PNW Gems"-

Any old, crappy, smoking, rattling, puking SBC that get's washed, and with a few chromed bits added, almost always becomes a 'Vette motor'. If you can read the GM casting numbers, and politely prove otherwise, you are-

a) a liar
                              b) a jerk
                              c) an eff-bleeping a-hole who 'needs to go away'

Any Ford FE engine, that also smokes/rattles/pukes, etc., with a few chrome bits or Cobra-repop valve covers, is a "Shelby racing motor"...and, if you can read Ford part numbers, and politely prove otherwise, you are also a, b, and c, and 'need to go away'

On old Mopars, have heard how old 440's magically have '906 racing heads' and 'Hemi valves/springs' in them....even from an old truck or motorhome.
                              Bet the slant 6's were somehow involved in the Mopar racing programs, too.

An Earl Scheib/Maaco paint job qualifies as 'totally restored', and if you don't like the overspray, crooked door/panel alignment, and the rust STILL bubbling underneath the new, shiny 'resale red' paint, you again are a,b,c,
                              and need to go away.

Just waiting for a few more FSJ's to get televised, maybe even on a horrible show like 'Slow and Quiet', or some other bleeping car-flipper show, perhaps with some celebrity who has now just added an FSJ along with his/her newly acquired Harley mid life crisis mobile, to make the average joe say
                              'hey, so and so on tv says all FSJ's have AMX racing motors in them, they are worth 30 grand!'

Yeah, sounds ridiculous, but entirely plausible back home. Miss the days where folks knew what stuff actually was, didn't hype it or inflate it, and you could get a good deal, or even barter for stuff. Junkyards let you roam free. Now, everything is a unicorn-hugging, 'carbon neutral recycling station'...and if it's not in the computer, forget it.

Even the axle thing has gotten ridiculous- mention the word Dana, and the price is like it was hand carved out of solid gold, even if the axle assembly is covered in dirt, grease, or rust. It's like somehow, they are all rare or special in some way. Always had just thought Dana/Spicer made truck axles for the various companies, you picked what fit, and away you went. Silly me, they're all 'off road racing axles' nowdays.

Maybe it's the long, grey days, or the amount of rainfall, but have heard and seen some really, stupid, stuff back home over the years. I miss the older days, people seemed more honest, and you could have some quiet fun just roaming a junkyard.

Sorry if this comes off as too grumpy, don't mean to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X