X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • altrocker1
    232 I6
    • Dec 30, 2011

Thanks for the comments guys...more work to be done this week. i have a question about gauges for ya'll. as i get ready to re do the cab, i was wondering a couple of things 1.) which stock gauges could be made to work with the new motor. i know a lot of the senders are probably different or strange, but has anyone used their own gauges in the swap? obviously some of will take some work to get working. 2.) what other gauges would be good to add...besides what the truck already has i know i want an egt gauge, maybe a boost gauge and a tach. what else would you want if you were building a diesel truck..3.) what brand of gauges you all like?

Comment

• altrocker1
      232 I6
      • Dec 30, 2011

still hurting a little from the weekend, but i managed to get a couple of things done...started stripping the front 44 from the chevy, but i gave up for tonight since i don't have a spanner wrench yet. also finally got a hoist from a buddy...and then this happened

didnt have anywhere to put it...this will do...i knew i left the box on for a reason

and then i realized i didn't have the right size star socket to pull the driveshafts...so the transfer case stayed on for tonight

more fun tomorrow! going to deliver the tranny to its new owner and hopefully get the transfer case off...anyone need a np208???

Comment

• JeepinPete
        304 AMC
        • Dec 09, 2003

If memory serves, a 5/16" 12 point box end wrench works on the driveshaft bolts.
        Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
        Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
        Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• altrocker1
          232 I6
          • Dec 30, 2011

dang it...you are right actually...sometimes i forget that wrenches have a 12 pt on the other side since i use mostly flare nut wrenches. im a dummy. cool, going to go pull that now!

Comment

• altrocker1
            232 I6
            • Dec 30, 2011

not much exciting today...BUT i did find these:

8 bolt 16" soft 8's...i didn't even know they made them. Im going to re-finish them, but i cant argue with the price the guy is selling them for...so hopefully they will be in my possession tomorrow. i finally got rid of the outlaw 2's i bought back when i though i was going to stick with 6 bolts...

i did get the t-case out after i was reminded that combination wrenches have a 12 point on the back side...sometimes i wonder how i get out of bed in the morning! but they were 1/4" and i couldn't find mine so i had to run to the parts store for one. starting to get close to a bare frame!

managed to get the passenger side torn down...i got the sway bar, drag link and shock off. i did have to cut the eye off the shock with a sawzall since the bolt was frozen in the bushing sleeve, i figured i will deal with it when i put the axle under my xj next year you can see the bushing in the pic giving me the evil eye...no pun intended

i also started pulling the box/rear end out...and i found these shocks...is this an air line on these shocks? they are destroyed, i just thought it was interesting.

Comment

• rwjohnstone
              232 I6
              • Jul 17, 2011

Those are some nice looking cab mounts you have there...
              "Decide what to be and go be it." - The Avett Brothers

1964 J-200 "Alice" Build Thread:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150066

1979 CJ-7 (s) - Status: Dismantled Hibernation

1981 J-10 - Status: Parts? Daily Driver? Lawn Ornament?

1993 Cherokee Sport - Status: Sold (408,000 miles)

Comment

• Resbum
                327 Rambler
                • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by Resbum
                "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• altrocker1
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 30, 2011

Originally posted by rwjohnstone
                  Those are some nice looking cab mounts you have there...
                  pretty sexy huh...you think ill need new ones??

the funny thing is every single one looked just like that...the bolts in the front cab mounts were actually rusted away so that they were about 1/16th of an inch wide in the middle. i put a wrench on them knowing they would be frozen and braced myself for a hard turn with the breaker bar and proceeded to almost fall over when they instantly snapped the second i put any torque on them. lucky no one was there watching. it was pretty embarrassing.

Comment

• jaber
                    Dragin Az
                    • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by altrocker1
                    lucky no one was there watching. it was pretty embarrassing.
                    I did that once and I smashed my finger between the wrench and the frame so hard, that 2 weeks later, I lost the finger nail...
                    Jeff

'43 cj2a
                    '51 Willys p/u
                    '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                    '68 Panel Delivery
                    '74 CJ5
                    '75 J-20 Wrecker
                    '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                    '77 J-10 p/u
                    '79 Cherokee
                    '88 Grand Wagoneer
                    '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• rwjohnstone
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 17, 2011

.... and proceeded to almost fall over when they instantly snapped the second i put any torque on them. lucky no one was there watching. it was pretty embarrassing.
                      We have all been there, but typically I only do it when there are as many people around as possible and then there is the 5/16" bolt that you are going to be all macho about and snap off with ease, only to find out its a grade 8 forged in the depths of h@!! and the tiny wrench you got to remove it makes you huff and puff for all your worth while it laughs at you........
                      "Decide what to be and go be it." - The Avett Brothers

1964 J-200 "Alice" Build Thread:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150066

1979 CJ-7 (s) - Status: Dismantled Hibernation

1981 J-10 - Status: Parts? Daily Driver? Lawn Ornament?

1993 Cherokee Sport - Status: Sold (408,000 miles)

Comment

• altrocker1
                        232 I6
                        • Dec 30, 2011

started to go to town with a wire wheel and my sandblaster tonight...only had about 2 hours to work but i got to here. you can see the dirty cruddy side, the parts where it wheeled it and the part that got blasted. so far so good, just a little slow going. sand blasting SUCKS by the way...what a mess

also picked up my wheels today! the tires are for sale if anyone wants them

i also have this on the way...

starting to come together...i also might have a hood lined up to replace the one that i got from the jy thats a little rougher than i thought. little over a month till motor time...got a crap load to do!

Comment

• altrocker1
                          232 I6
                          • Dec 30, 2011

well boo...the boobie grille didn't pan out. so now onto other options. i may be trying to work on a deal on some gladiator parts, but we will see how that goes.

now im t minus 6 days until motor pickup day, and i'll bet you've all been wondering where my mystery motor is coming from. well, if anyone hasn't figured it out i have worked out a deal out with ifjsa's resident isuzu man, jeepinpete. im super excited to be resurrecting what he started, and for the price it was an absolute no brainer. i originally contacted him about motor mounts for 4bd1t, and he offered to sell me a set with an entire drivetrain attached to it. so it is a win, win as far as im concerned. im getting a project that needs to be resurrected and he is getting some cash to continue his awesome projects.

im also hoping that i have the cash left over to stop in maumee to pick up new bedsides for the truck. im getting excited...this is close to happening and i should have a good amount of free time in august! hopefully i have a moving truck by christmas

Comment

• MtnYJ
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 12, 2006

Thanks for the comments guys...more work to be done this week. i have a question about gauges for ya'll. as i get ready to re do the cab, i was wondering a couple of things 1.) which stock gauges could be made to work with the new motor. i know a lot of the senders are probably different or strange, but has anyone used their own gauges in the swap? obviously some of will take some work to get working. 2.) what other gauges would be good to add...besides what the truck already has i know i want an egt gauge, maybe a boost gauge and a tach. what else would you want if you were building a diesel truck..3.) what brand of gauges you all like?
                            Looks like a great project!

I've been very happy with the Isspro gauges in my Cummins Dodge. They're a little cheaper than other brands but seem pretty reliable, mine came from http://www.dieselmanor.com/gauges.asp. I have EGT, Boost and Fuel Pressure. I don't know that you need a fuel pressure gauge for the Isuzu, but the EGT, boost, and tach are a good idea.
                            Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
                            '76 J20, T-18, Dana 20, no floors
                            '91 GW, AMC 360, AX-15, NP 208, 178K Mi
                            Rear bumper w/swing-out tire carrier
                            '93 YJ, 4.0L, 5-SP, flipped Dana 300, Dana 44s
                            '14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD
                            Carolina Full Size Jeep Club President http://www.cfsjc.com

Comment

• altrocker1
                              232 I6
                              • Dec 30, 2011

uh-oh...what is that i see

made my way to jeepinpete's yesterday morning to relieve him of his 4bd1t. with a little gruntin, straining and sweat we got her all loaded up for the 1000 mile trip back to my house. fortunately it wasn't too hot...though my poor little xj cherokee took a beating making its way up and down the hills in pennsylvania. it was a little under geared for the job, but she got her home safe and sound. then of course when i got here, it poured down rain like crazy. it never fails...

i probably could have spent all day at pete's house and given him every cent i have to my name for parts in his shop. he's got a pretty neat little setup and like me, one too many projects. so now, the engine waits for me to finish the frame...with any luck it will be sitting on the frame and axles by the end of august. more pics and work to come in the upcoming weeks!

Comment

• Resbum
                                327 Rambler
                                • Jun 16, 2010

Cool beans!
                                Originally posted by Resbum
                                "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

Working...
                                X