decisions, decisions, oh how I hate decisions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muddy
    258 I6
    • Aug 30, 2011

decisions, decisions, oh how I hate decisions...

felt like I needed to vent a little bit, and who better to talk to, than a bunch of fellow jeep guys/gals

Anyway;
    When I first got my wagoneer several years ago, I had big plans for it. I guess you could say that I was a little "starry eyed". I wanted to build it into a well rounded family camping/weekend wheeling rig that the whole family could enjoy.

I am beginning to come to the realization that I do not have the time and/or resources to make this happen any time in the near future. Not only that, but the wagoneer (or any enclosed suv for that matter) really doesn't meet all my needs. I've had to borrow a trailer several times in the last few weeks to haul things that wouldn't fit in the wagoneer, but would have easily fit in the bed of a truck. Granted, I could just get a trailer, and pull it with the wagoneer; but that's another thing that I'd have to register(pay for) every year.

Lately I've been thinking that a crew cab truck would be a much better fit for my vehicle needs. And, while I think it would be awesome to build a crew cab out of the wagoneer, I again come back to the no time and no resources to make that happen.

So at the end of all of this, I'm left contemplating selling my wagoneer

If you were in a similar situation, what would you do?
    1987 Grand Wagoneer,
    well worn, bone stock, with 120K miles.
    added a snow plow, and looking for a lift.
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

Cheaper to buy a trailer than a pickup, the insurance and licensing will be cheaper in the long run, and you won't have to worry about major repairs like engine or tranny!
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• muddy
      258 I6
      • Aug 30, 2011

Originally posted by bigun
      Cheaper to buy a trailer than a pickup, the insurance and licensing will be cheaper in the long run, and you won't have to worry about major repairs like engine or tranny!
      This is very true. a trailer would be much cheaper than a truck.

However, I'm struggling with how much work the jeep needs to be a reliable daily driver, and the fact that I don't have the time to work on it. For example; Last weekend the rear passenger side wheel cylinder decided to start puking fluid. I still haven't gotten it fixed yet because I don't have time to work on it. It really sucks, but I just have to much going on right now to give the jeep the attention it needs.
      I guess the dilemma is do I let the jeep just sit, and hope that some day I'll be able to get back to it, or sell it while it's still in good enough shape to be worth something?
      1987 Grand Wagoneer,

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Hello. Crisis Hotline here.
        If you're suicidal. Press 1
        If you're injured. Press 2
        If you're in danger. Press 3
        If you're indecisive. Press 4 or 5

Only you know your needs, situation, use requirements and economics. Personally I don't see how folks live w/o a pickup. I need/use a pickup way more often than I need a station wagon.
        Just my opinion.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• mdcptman
          Jeep Therapist
          • Apr 09, 2010

Man, I feel your pain. Sometimes you gotta make the hard decision. If it were mee....If you have room to store the jeep, why not keep it. Park it, drop the insurance, Work on it a little at a time as you go along to make it the car you want it to be. Buy a crew cab truck as your every day driver. Down the road, the jeep will be ready and maybe you wont need a truck anymore. Or, if you still need the truck, just put minimum insurance on the jeep and drive it for fun.
          Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
          88 Grand Wagoneer
          360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
          Edelbrock 2131
          Holley 600
          Hydroboost
          Hedman headers
          Dual exhaust
          MSD6A, TFI
          Digital Gauges
          Rusty's 2" Lift
          31x10.5 15LT15s
          Quote From Friend's Mom:
          "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• chrism
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 07, 2002

This is what you are looking for...

lol..I would already own that if it wern't on the other side of the country.

I picked up a used 4x8 utility trailer for $400. However if your wag is not a reliable daily driver and you don't have the time or money to make it so you may want to reconsider and go for the pickup.
            1979 Cherokee
            1979 CJ-7

Comment

• muddy
              258 I6
              • Aug 30, 2011

Originally posted by chrism
              This is what you are looking for...

yep, that would be perfect. Actually, I would love to build a crew cab out of my wagoneer. Heck, even something like this,

would be just about perfect for me. enough cab space for the family, and as long as the bed +"tailgate down" length was close to 8 feet, I could haul pretty much every thing I would ever need to haul without the need for a trailer.

I picked up a used 4x8 utility trailer for $400. However if your wag is not a reliable daily driver and you don't have the time or money to make it so you may want to reconsider and go for the pickup.
              actually, just last night, I was given a 6' x 10' trailer for "free". I say "free" because it needs some work. The tongue is bent, the tires are different sized, it has no lights, and a couple of the decking boards are shot. It has never been registered, so I have to file paperwork to apply for a "manufactured vehicle identification number" , and get it inspected before I can get it registered and get plates.

Currently, aside from a leaking wheel cylinder, the wagoneer is/has been really dependable. However, it is getting to the point where it's going to start needing some attention. The rockers have started to get some small rust spots, and sooner or later, the body mounts (on the frame) are going to need some attention (the last couple Indiana winters have not been kind).
              I would love to be able to park it in the garage, and do a full frame off build, but that's just can't happen at this time. If I'm being totally honest with my self, I don't see having that kind of time until maybe after my kids are out of high school, which is 10 years away.
              Last edited by muddy; 05-08-2015, 08:12 AM.
              1987 Grand Wagoneer,

Comment

• Bill J
                232 I6
                • May 25, 2005

I am in the same boat with my TJ, gotta fix the brakes, but don't have the time. The frame is going to need attention too, but I have some money that I can devote to that fix. As for the trailer, you should be able to register it as a homebuilt. Check out your DMV website for more info on that. I would stick it out a little bit with the Wagoneer. There may be some folks in the area willing to do a wrench a thon if you have an afternoon free, its amazing what can get done!
                1989 Grand Wagoneer, Sold
                1997 Wrangler TJ
                2004 Honda Accord
                2012 Honda Odyssey

?This car is a squadron of nuts and bolts flying together in loose formation.? - Colin Beer

www.colinmichaelfund.org

Comment

• jimbos83j10
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 10, 2009

I currently have a 01 Chevvy 2500 HD 4 Dr Long bed.. I recently looking into replacements for her and decided I could never afford something comparable new so Id be stuck looking into something pretty used and then Im looking at issues from previous owner. I just picked up a waggy shell that needs pretty much every thing with the same plans as you. I figured a new truck will set me back atleast 4-500 a month so Ill ill put around that aside every month to "fix" it up. Could you do the same thing? Ive got a 5 yr plan figuring 20k max to have it completely rebuilt with new power train.

When we go camping we bring enough stuff to completely fill the long bed. So a trailer is in our future also.

Is the waggy your daily Driver
                  19?? CJ-7 Stretched.. alot, 360, T-18, Dana 20, 44 front and rear locked, 4:88 gears, Hydro assist steering and maybe even 4 doors!

Comment

• muddy
                    258 I6
                    • Aug 30, 2011

Technically, no, the wag is not my daily driver. However we have
                    Been making repairs to a rental property that we own( last tenants
                    Did a number on it on their way out). I've been using the wag almost every
                    Night, and on the weekends to haul materials.
                    My wife and I work at the same place, and have a small car that we drive
                    During the week, but the wag is our only other vehicle.
                    While it would be possible to park the wag, at times it would be really
                    Inconvenient to be down to only one vehicle for an extended amount of time.
                    1987 Grand Wagoneer,

Comment

• Mr. Goatman
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jan 05, 2006

Every vehicle has its best mission. Some are "good" at several things but not great at anything. The Wagoneer is Great at hauling the family, camping, and trail riding. A crew cab truck can haul the family (maybe not as comfortable- depends on the spring weight) could be used for camping, although everything in the bed get wet, and is less that great at trails due to the length and turning radius. Yes, it can do all of those things just not as well as a wagoneer. However, it can haul things and a wagoneer really can't. Unless your prepared for a full strip down/ rebuild of the wagoneer it's gonna take money and routine attention. A newer truck... not so much.
                      I have a crew cab F-350 PSD, several Wagoneers, and a trailer. The older I get the more I use the trailer. It's bigger, wider, and lower to the ground. It's just easier to use (for me) Its been said many times here and other places. A FSJ is a thing of beauty to love. It is much like artwork. The value is in the heart of the owner. You will NEVER get a return on the investment you make the the FSJ. You will get a beautiful vehicle to drive that will bring the admiration of many who see it. Its value is the smile on your face and in the spirit of your family. The cost is frustration, hard work, and many parts.

The decision is one that only you (the the wife) can make because the value (and expense) is unique to your personality. I'd fix it, improve it, and get a trailer... but that's me
                      Remember; When it comes to tools and toys forgiveness is ALWAYS easier than permission!

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

Yeah I had that problem

I was Like:

Then I was like:

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Edlebrock performer intake
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Gurinski
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 14, 2010

Take the wag off the road and buy a beater like a Toyota 4 runner, and if you normally have those type of tenants rent it out section 8. dont know about where you you but here its guaranteed rent and I think they pay for damages done by tenants.
                          1991 GW TFI GM-icm 360 727 np229

Comment

• muddy
                            258 I6
                            • Aug 30, 2011

Well, as of this moment, the plan is to rehab the trailer, and I'm going to try to put whatever I can each month into "the jeep fund".
                            I'm still ironing out the details, but I'm hoping that with good enough planning, I will be able to break the projects down into small stages so that it can still be driven when needed.

Oh, and because everyone likes pictures, here's a couple of the trailer.

It's 6' x 10', and needs some work. However, on the plus side, it appears to have the same lug pattern as the jeep, so when it's all said and done, I should be able to just carry one spare. I'm thinking about flipping the axle, to raise it up a bit, and making some sides to box it in for hauling fire wood.

and here's the messed up tongue. someone cut it to shorten it and raise the coupling. I'll most likely try to repair it back to how it was before.
                            1987 Grand Wagoneer,

Comment

• muddy
                              258 I6
                              • Aug 30, 2011

other pic

well, lets try that tongue pic again,

the wagoneer pulls the trailer really well. There are a few issues though,
                              1: I can't really see the trailer when towing it. when going straight, I can just barely see the edges of the fenders past the back of the jeep when using the side mirrors(can't see it at all with the rear view).
                              2: needs all new wiring, and I'll have to add wiring to the jeep
                              3: it has miss matched tires(I'll try to find replacements that are the same size as what I have on the jeep.
                              4: and as you can probably see in this pic, I need to address the rust issue on the hitch on the jeep.
                              Last edited by muddy; 05-13-2015, 07:32 AM.
                              1987 Grand Wagoneer,

Comment

Working...
                              X