Would work drive window regulators fit my 87GW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

Would work drive window regulators fit my 87GW?

Would it bolt right up and fit with electrical connectors and bolt holes in door? Has anyone done this?

I just need to know if it will work okay before I search out a set and convert.

Please share.

Thanks.
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

I assume you meant worm drive?
    Yes, they are a direct bolt in/swap. Many have done it.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ShagWagon
      350 Buick
      • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
      I assume you meant worm drive?
      Yes, they are a direct bolt in/swap. Many have done it.
      Yeah worm drive I couldn't edit my title.

I figured they were the same but wasn't sure. Never know if the components and connections all match. Usually has something you have to adapt or modify slightly or greatly and it helps to know beforehand.

Thanks I can now be confident.
      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• acct21
        327 Rambler
        • May 20, 2014

They had to be interchangeable -- some late 1989 models have been found with cable drive units, and likewise some early 1990 models had the flex racks. It must have taken a while until they were getting enough supply of the cable drive units to make the full switch over.
        1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• ShagWagon
          350 Buick
          • Apr 10, 2016

So can I use my motors? Do just the regulators swap out? I need to look for some but don’t know what to ask for.

Comment

• acct21
            327 Rambler
            • May 20, 2014

They're not available as aftermarket/rebuilt pieces. You need two driver side and two passenger side cable drive units from a late '89-'91 GW.
            1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• ShagWagon
              350 Buick
              • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by acct21
              They're not available as aftermarket/rebuilt pieces. You need two driver side and two passenger side cable drive units from a late '89-'91 GW.
              Is the electric motor and the cable drive part one unit? Or do they separate? Is what I meant. My motors are good. Just want the different drive. I guess nobody would separate the drive from the motor? I haven’t seen one in person so don’t know how that works.

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

They're different motors.
                Tony

Comment

• Tripwire
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jul 30, 2000

I have sold two complete sets of regulators, I did not look closely but i believe they are not quite the same as the drive head operates in a different maner ...though you might be able to remove the base motor from the drive head. i would buy the complete regulator assy its a easy peasy upgrade

steve
                  Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• ShagWagon
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 10, 2016

Ok great! Thanks. That

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

If yours are all good no real gain from worm drive swap imho.
                      Especially since they would all be decades old/used parts now.

Best thing is simply clean AND polish flextrack rails.
                      Spray rails with some form of dry film lube.
                      Adjust/tweak window channels properly.
                      Make sure motors are getting battery voltage.
                      They'll work very well this way.
                      Tony

Comment

• ShagWagon
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
                        If yours are all good no real gain from worm drive swap imho.
                        Especially since they would all be decades old/used parts now.

Best thing is simply clean AND polish flextrack rails.
                        Spray rails with some form of dry film lube.
                        Adjust/tweak window channels properly.
                        Make sure motors are getting battery voltage.
                        They'll work very well this way.
                        I did all that 2 summers ago besides polish the flex track rails? Like turtle wax em?

I just like metal better. And I

Comment

• ShagWagon
                          350 Buick
                          • Apr 10, 2016

Was thinking to add a overhead console and a rear wiper if the bolt right in as well some time.

The forum keeps cutting off my replies...

Comment

• Tripwire
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jul 30, 2000

a overhead console and rear wiper jeez i cant think of two other more unreliable an unobtainable parts on our rig this is another reason to outlaw recreational pot use

just teasing....

steve
                            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by ShagWagon
                              Was thinking to add a overhead console and a rear wiper if the bolt right in as well some time.

The forum keeps cutting off my replies...
                              Grab a better console like from an s10 or some other newer one. Original GW consoles are problematic.
                              Look @ durango rear wiper threads, it would be fairly simple to add to an 87.
                              Original GW rear wiper motors are crap.
                              88 had some of wiring already but not all, not sure on 87.
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X