360 ci 727 with
      Comp cams 270 h
      NP208
      Edlebrock performer intake
      Holley 4180
      Msd total multi spark.
      4" rusty's springs
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• polarfire
        258 I6
        • Apr 01, 2010

Hoping to see finished pics soon!
        '78 Cherokee S Levi's 4-Door (SOLD)
        '84 J10 Shortbed
        '83 Cherokee Chief WT (SOLD)
        '82 J10 Sportside Honcho
        '82 CJ-8 Scrambler
        '77 CJ-5 Renegade

Comment

• polarfire
          258 I6
          • Apr 01, 2010

Any pics of this thing all buttoned up?
          '84 J10 Shortbed
          '82 J10 Sportside Honcho
          '82 CJ-8 Scrambler
          '77 CJ-5 Renegade

Comment

• DarkMonohue
            Shakes hands with danger
            • Jul 01, 2012

What an amazing job! More importantly, you and your son have shared a whole lot of time together. That is something you will both remember forever. Way to go. Hopefully he can pass the same on to his kid(s) at some point.

While you and your kid got a lot of time in, I lost an entire Saturday morning drooling over your thread. Dang. There truly is no free lunch.
            '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
            High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• CJ5
              350 Buick
              • May 07, 2002

Sorry, guys about the final update. I have been working on getting all of the bugs out and didn't want to do a final update until it was really finished.

The motor is strong and have no issues except fine tuning. I have a spreadsheet started and noting all changes and results. I am trying to get it perfect. I have changed jets, rods, mixture, etc. At the same time, I am noting mpg and what each change has done there. I have not touched the timing but will be doing that also. We have been driving it everyday since we picked it up from the shop. I just wanted to tinker with it more to get it perfect. I am almost there. It is running smooth and is at 10.3mpg. I think with some timing adjustment I can get a little more quickness and a little more MPG. I can live with anything above 10.

I had issues with the AC switches. First was the thermostat, then the fan. I waited on some used parts only to find the fan switch was different. I installed a new thermostat switch. The fan switch will only blow on high so until I can find a rheostat that will work I will have to live with it. The drain nipple was broke and it appears my fix didn't work so I am trying to find a solution for that so the water doesn't leak onto the carpet.

Dash LED strip has shorted somewhere. Not sure how or where. I have to removed the instrument panel to fix. Of course that means taking the steering wheel lose enough to drop it some. This is unfixed as of yet.

I had a issue with the alt. but that turned out to be a bad crimp on a wire. Other than electrical is fine and show no issues except the cheap arse loom as shown signs for degrading in high heat areas.

My windshield is leaking at the passenger bottom corner. Same place it was before the rebuild. I am looking for solutions there but have made some stop gap measures to keep the carpet dry. Gasket problem likely.

The brakes were not as good as they needed to be for a 16 yo driver and I worked on those. I found I had one side of shoes in wrong and fixed that. I replaced the master cylinder. The one I originally put on there never did seem like the right one to me. Then because of such low vacuum, I replaced the booster to a dual diaphragm and that made the biggest difference. I did not want to mess with hydro.

Last night I had to go back in the door and replace the clip for the regulator. I should have did the retro fix on the doors and didn't. I did do it for the tailgate. If I have to go back in there I will pull the regulators and upgrade.

I have one slight oil leak around the filter. It appears to be the lower piece on the oil pump assembly around the pressure spring. I think I can remove it and just put another gasket or sealer without getting into a big deal. Only leak so far.

Other than those and a few odd issues it has been about as expect. I knew there would be some odd and ends.

Oh....he cut it too close getting in the garage and scraped the rear fender flair against the bricks. I have to sand, bondo and repaint it.
              Last edited by CJ5; 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM.
              Chief Laredo Build Album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
              '72CJ - Complete Restore
              '81SJ - Loredo Resto Project
              '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• 8man
                304 AMC
                • Jan 04, 2011

That is his truck now, have him do it with you and tell him "this is the last time I help, it's your now." Great to hear the final report, seems like a long way off to me right now.
                79 Cherokee S (current project)
                82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• WHSII
                  Hack-Priss
                  • Feb 06, 2010

Sounds grand Sir,

Please post some pictures of the rolling Cherokee, I know that you want to have it all complete, but people are hanging waiting for them!

Pictures will not show that the timing is off by 1/2 degree!

Again Sir, Salute, job well done.
                  WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                  Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• polarfire
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 01, 2010

Originally posted by WHSII
                    Sounds grand Sir,

Please post some pictures of the rolling Cherokee, I know that you want to have it all complete, but people are hanging waiting for them!

Pictures will not show that the timing is off by 1/2 degree!

Again Sir, Salute, job well done.
                    What he said!
                    '84 J10 Shortbed
                    '82 J10 Sportside Honcho
                    '82 CJ-8 Scrambler
                    '77 CJ-5 Renegade

Comment

• donniesoup
                      232 I6
                      • Dec 17, 2005

I just read through this again. It is one of the most detailed rebuilds here. Outstanding. Can you post the completed photos for us?
                      80 chief wt
                      94 cherokee
                      08 wrangler rubicon
                      11 liberty

Comment

• polarfire
                        258 I6
                        • Apr 01, 2010

Any update on this build? I would love to see the finished product!
                        '84 J10 Shortbed
                        '82 J10 Sportside Honcho
                        '82 CJ-8 Scrambler
                        '77 CJ-5 Renegade

Comment

Working...
                        X