• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoggerFogger
    232 I6
    • Jul 31, 2017

Finished product

Well, here's my finished product. I'm happy with it. Maybe in 10 years when I do a full restoration I'll have this redone properly, but for the kind of girls I hang with, this will do.

The rivets on the back will be under the bumper, and the rivets on the bottom can only be seen if you're on the ground.

-Kevin

1972 Wagoneer > Isuzu 4BD1t > 4L80E > D300 > D44
    www.civilrock.com/72-Wagoneer

Comment

• MadMax78
      258 I6
      • May 26, 2010

Awesome!

I need to do this exact same thing on both sides. I have the same ideas as you do. It will never be seen and I?m not a purist so what ever works. My idea is to cut out all the rust, seal it all up then use seam sealer as well as pop rivet it all together. Once the patch is complete I will use bed liner to seal the outside. Awesome job.
      MadMax78
      78 Cherokee Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake

Comment

• JoggerFogger
        232 I6
        • Jul 31, 2017

Thanks man!

I did use stainless pop rivets. I think they're a lot stronger than the aluminum ones that I've used for years. I didn't even know about SS ones until I worked in a SS shop. They're harder to get, but worth it.

Comment

• MadMax78
          258 I6
          • May 26, 2010

JoggerFogger, you wouldn?t happen to have a pattern for the panel you made I could get a copy of would you? Save me the time of trying to make one.
          MadMax78
          78 Cherokee Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake

Comment

• JoggerFogger
            232 I6
            • Jul 31, 2017

I do. It's cardboard so I can't scan it. I could mail it to you I guess...

I'll do anything to help out, but:
            1. Judging by the build quality of this 72 Jeep, I wouldn't trust that even the mirror image of my pattern would match the other side.

2. It might be totally different for a different year.

3. Mine might be (no, I know it is) a little off, but I compensated where I knew it was off. 1/8th here, 1/8th there. 1/4" on the wheel well. Adjustments that determine which side of the mark you make the sharpie line. Little stuff.

It's really easy to make. Get your cardboard close to where you want it, then hold it up under there. Then take a rubber hammer or dead blow and imprint the outline of the quarter panel into the cardboard. If you have gorilla fingers you can just use your thumbs. Just enough to make an indent, then mark with a sharpie and trim to fit. I might have made two of these, screwing up the first one. I know that I test fit it 5-6 times before I was satisfied.

If you're going to make this part in metal, making the CAD version is good practice on fitment and installation. That's my old man sage advice.

-Kevin

Comment

• 80Limited
              232 I6
              • Feb 19, 2015

I have a plywood template that I?m not using if you want it.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                Cherokee Outlaw
                • Jan 10, 2006

Have you seen this?
                -Jonny B.
                1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• MadMax78
                  258 I6
                  • May 26, 2010

Thanks guys. I was being lazy. I went ahead and made a template. Once I tore into it I found more than I wanted. Oh well. At least she will be water tight (I hope) once I?m done.

Heavy, I missed out on that Feebay find. Wasn?t aware this part was out there. Looks like I need to check it more often.
                  MadMax78

Comment

Working...
                  X