• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Do Napa gold aka Wix filter suck?

2nd time this has happened to me now.
    Rattles like hell on cold start for half second.
    El cheapo STP filters(ones I?ve generally used)never do this, but not in stock so got the Napa filter.
    Now I remember why I stopped using them.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Don't know about the issues you're having but Napa Gold/Wix have been my decades steady preferred filters for all my American iron motors. Never an issue yet.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• J20 project
      304 AMC
      • Dec 27, 2000

anti drain back

So the Wix gold I use have the valve. Any chance this makes a low pressure engine starve for a second? As compared to an open filter......

J20
      BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
      775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• ZackN920
        350 Buick
        • Nov 18, 2015

Napa's are made by wix too? I've been using Oreille's which are made by wix as well. Never had a problem with them.

Also never had a problem with the frams, in all my other vehicle's. Nobody around here sells the fram filter for the 360, so it gets a more expensive one, from an actual autoparts store!
        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
        Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
        ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• mattmopar440
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • May 17, 2007

maybe your oil pump is struggling to push throught the thicker/finer element on the WIX? I've run both STP and Wix I like the Wix better but the STP is the best filter on the cheap
          87' Grand Wagoneer
          401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
          84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
          80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
          74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
          Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Inferior Chevy

Comment

• FSJunkie
            The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
            • Jan 09, 2011

All versions of the WIX 51258 line of filters have a faulty anti-drainback valve. I have been saying that for years and people just blew me off. I worked as a Napa counter parts salesman for several years and stand by Napa's products, especially their filters. I looked at every filter I sold with a scrutinizing eye for "would I put this on my own car?". Wix (Napa) filters were some of the best in the industry for the most part, but the 51258 designed for AMC engines has a definite defect.

The anti-drainback valve (ADV) inside the filter is defective and does not seal. The purpose of the ADV is to prevent the oil inside the oil filter and pump from draining back into the oil pan after the engine is shut off. That way, the engine has immidiete oil pressure when it is restarted. The obvious consequence of a faulty ADV is air in the filter and pump, which takes a few seconds to purge when the engine is started. During that time, the engne is running with only the layer of oil that was clinging to the parts from the last time it ran.

There is a deeper consequence, however. The "full" mark on an AMC V8 dipstick indicated 4 quarts of oil in the pan. Since the ADV is supposed to hold another quart in the oil filter and pump, the engine's full oil capacity is 5 quarts. Roughly 1 quart is trapped up in the heads while the engine is running, so the oil level in the pan on a running engine is roughly 3 quarts. But....with a faulty ADV, you don't have that extra quart of oil trapped in the filter and pump with the engine off. The 4 quarts in the oil pan to reach the "full" mark is all the oil you have. Now once the engine starts, one of those quarts has to fill the oil filter and pump and roughly one more quart is up in the cylinder heads. You are running with 2 quarts in the oil pan assuming your oil level was at the "full" mark to begin with! If you were at the "add" mark, you only have 1 quart in the oil pan. That is dangerously close to sucking air.

And that is why so many people complain about the AMC V8 lubrication system.

Common versions of the Wix 51258 include:
            -Napa Gold 1258 and 1258MP.
            -Napa ProSelect 21258.
            -AMSOIL EaO31.

Don't buy them. If you make the mistake of getting one, fill your engine with 5 quarts regardless of the dipstick reading because the level will drop by 2 quarts once the engine starts instead of the proper 1 quart drop.

Good filters:
            -AC Delco PF24 (made by Champion Labs).
            -STP S25 (also made by Champion labs and identical to the AC Delco inside).
            -Purolator L30005.
            '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
              304 AMC
              • Jul 25, 2016

good info fsj junkie
              thanx !
              SOLSAKS - dave
              1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
              1982 J-10 Fleetside
              1988 grand wagoneer
              2004 RUBICON jeep
              Benson, NC

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

I’m going to take it off and replace it. Every time I start my truck(cold) I just cringe.
                It isn’t an oil pump issue either. Engine has phenomenal op since I rebuilt pump 4yrs ago. ~25psi hot idle and ~65+psi driving.
                I’ve also been running 6qts in the thing for years, the pan has the room.
                I believe it was SC/397 who posted pics of a pan filled w/ 6 vs. 5qts?
                Last edited by babywag; 02-07-2018, 09:23 AM.
                Tony

Comment

• SC/397
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 01, 2010

Yea the pictures are burried somewhere in photo bucket but, 6 quarts just fills the pan up to the baffle plate. Remember, thats when the engine is not running. There is probably a quart circulating in the engine not to mention the amount of oil that is in the filter when it is running.
                  I used to use the WIX or NAPA filter but they have changed them and the anti-drain back valve doesn't work as good as it used to. I heard that they have changed the ACDelco PF24 as well but I have not confirmed that.
                  I buy Baldwin filters by the dozen. B39 for the short one and B9 for the full quart one.
                  https://www.google.com/search?q=bald...HZY2CycQ_AUICA

These are for the Non-Metric threads!
                  Last edited by SC/397; 02-07-2018, 11:34 AM.
                  The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

It will be interesting to pull?
                    Guessing the filter will be fairly empty compared to STP when removed??

For clarity, this is on a late model w/ metric filter & stud.
                    Tony

Comment

• FSJunkie
                      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                      • Jan 09, 2011

Originally posted by babywag
                      It will be interesting to pull?
                      Guessing the filter will be fairly empty compared to STP when removed??

For clarity, this is on a late model w/ metric filter & stud.
                      OH. That makes a big difference. My info was for the early (pre-1988?) engine using the 1258 filter. The later engines use a 1085, which is the same filter the 1990s and 2000s Jeep 4.0L, Dodge 5.2L and 5.9L engines.

I have had zero issues with the 1085 line of Wix filters so far.
                      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

Well like I said, this isn't the first one I've had do it.
                        Other brands of filters on this engine or my other engine don't do it...so???
                        Tony

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                          OH. That makes a big difference. My info was for the early (pre-1988?) engine using the 1258 filter. The later engines use a 1085, which is the same filter the 1990s and 2000s Jeep 4.0L, Dodge 5.2L and 5.9L engines.

I have had zero issues with the 1085 line of Wix filters so far.
                          According to specs., a 1085 isn't correct anyway. Wrong thread size/application 3/4-16 in..

Wix# 51626 Napa# 1626 are 20x1.5 mm
                          Last edited by babywag; 02-07-2018, 12:01 PM.
                          Tony

Comment

• acct21
                            327 Rambler
                            • May 20, 2014

Hey Tony, why don't you change the stud while you're down there and get rid of the metric? Go to the 3/4x16 on the '91-on. the Mopar part number is 53007563AB.

So many more options for filters in the 3/4x16 -- ACDelco, Motorcraft, Mopar all make OEM filters, not to mention all of the aftermarket -- you can even find a FL-300 at most truck stops and rural convenience stores. I run a Wix 51068, and it just barely clears the motor mount -- you're not going to get a bigger filter on there. It holds about 1/2 cup more oil than the metric 51626.

It takes a 3/4" socket to pull it off, and a 1" to put the new one back on. Will take under 5 minutes and will be the best $10 you'll spend.
                            1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

'cuz I'm lazy...
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X