• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Studebaker1965
    232 I6
    • Jan 25, 2016

LED tail lights and headlight wiring questions

Hey guys,

I'm just looking at replacing the rear tail and brake lights with LEDs. Am I correct that all I need to do is replace the flashers with electronic ones? Also, are there any wiring diagrams for Serehills headlight relay kit? Or are they still available? Thanks in advance!

Nate
  • itselliot
    350 Buick
    • Aug 28, 2010

LED's

Just an FYI...

look up the site Wish.com
    and search for LED flasher.....it takes a little while to get your order and you really need to READ all the information because the Asian people tend to convolute the descriptions of the items....but the items are good quality and the price cannot be beat...
    If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
    [email protected]
    616 four 03 44 0 five
    '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
    "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
    '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• suzq044
      304 AMC
      • Dec 23, 2008

I do not recommend wish.com; try SuperBrightLEDs.com

Our Vehicle Bulb Finder is a quick and easy way to locate LED bulbs for your 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Whether you're searching for replacements for burned-out or dim incandescent bulbs or if you simply crave the long-lasting, energy-efficient, instant lighting that LED bulbs provide, we've got you covered. It is wise to double check the Bulb Finder versus your vehicle, as a vehicle may come with different bulbs if equipped with a certain option or trim level.

I threw in a basic '84 GW for year/make/model, but it should work for you. I've used their bulbs, and they worked great while I had that car. (Clear housings, red LEDs).

Depending on how you do it, you may just find your truck signaling quickly instead of not at all, as I think older vehicles did that to tell you where a bulb is out. In that case, you'll just need to wire in a resistor iirc.
      Max²: 1964 Jeep Panel Wagoneer
      Planning Stages

2018 Wagoneer Rendering if you're interested.

Comment

• nograin
        304 AMC
        • Dec 19, 2000

Am I correct that all I need to do is replace the flashers with electronic ones?
        I believe that is correct. The LED power usage is different enough that the flasher mechanism will probably not work correctly.
        Daniel Stern has posted info on which ones work with what. Do a 'net search of his name with LED markers and it should turn up - probably in mopar or slant six forums, but elsewhere too. He's a become a bit of a know it all, but just ignore that if you need tech info - his will be solid.

Another place to look is Candlepower forums. Stern doesn't post there, but some other lighting experts do. I was looking there and at some other jeep forums and came across some solid testing by "hilldweller" of headlights including a couple of LED models that perform well.
        About 2/3 of the way down Forward Lighting I made a table of his tests and also a bunch of links to the posts.
        As far as the headlight circuit goes, I can't think of any reason to rewire when going to LED.
        '85 Grand Wagoneer
        360 727auto, NP229
        body by beer (PO)
        carries wood inside
        no "wood" outside
        My other car is a fish

Comment

• 8man
          304 AMC
          • Jan 04, 2011

X2 for superbrightled.com. I used them and got the flasher and they work fine and are brighter than stock.
          79 Cherokee S (current project)
          82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• men in black
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 08, 2006

Here's the ones I used from superbright.com
            They just fit.

1157 LED Bulb - Dual Function 30 SMD LED Spider - BAY15D Retrofit - 1157 Red

1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
            Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
            Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
            Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• itselliot
              350 Buick
              • Aug 28, 2010

Originally posted by suzq044
              I do not recommend wish.com; try SuperBrightLEDs.com

Our Vehicle Bulb Finder is a quick and easy way to locate LED bulbs for your 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Whether you're searching for replacements for burned-out or dim incandescent bulbs or if you simply crave the long-lasting, energy-efficient, instant lighting that LED bulbs provide, we've got you covered. It is wise to double check the Bulb Finder versus your vehicle, as a vehicle may come with different bulbs if equipped with a certain option or trim level.

I threw in a basic '84 GW for year/make/model, but it should work for you. I've used their bulbs, and they worked great while I had that car. (Clear housings, red LEDs).

Depending on how you do it, you may just find your truck signaling quickly instead of not at all, as I think older vehicles did that to tell you where a bulb is out. In that case, you'll just need to wire in a resistor iirc.
              While I respect your opinion, I would like to hear what it is about WISH that makes you negative towards them? I have had complete satisfaction with orders there.
              And as a note...the LEDS are identical as the expensive ones found elsewhere.
              If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
              [email protected]
              616 four 03 44 0 five
              '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
              "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
              '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

Working...
              X