• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 7350life
    232 I6
    • Jul 05, 2020

1979 J10

Hi from Southern Colorado,

I recently purchased a 1979 J10 from a younger guy who got this Jeep out of a Woodland Park CO barn. Combing through the original paperwork, it started it's new life at a Loveland CO dealership in Nov 1978 with a 258. It eventually made it's way to Woodland Park, ended up with a stock 304 (more power (?) possibly due to the high elevation) and 2 1/2" suspension lift, and then sat in a barn from 2001 to the end of 2018. The PO got it running (basic tune-up plus battery and starter), added new 33" tires, replaced the clutch, and replaced brakes front and rear. Mechanically it's ok. It needs attention, which is why I bought it. I needed something to tinker with on my time off.

I've owned 30+ vehicles including muscle cars, 4x4s, imports, and motorcycles. This my third Jeep. I owned a 1988 XJ and a 1985 CJ7, but that was decades ago. It was time for a FSJ in my life.
    1979 J10, 304 V8, 4-speed manual
  • Wagoneer Taylor
    258 I6
    • Dec 17, 2018

Welcome!

Awesome to see a truck come back to life, love the roll bar in the back.

Looks like a good truck to start with.

Sounds like you know what your doing with all the vehicles you've had, but if you have questions there is a wealth of knowledge here that cant be beat!
    Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
    Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
    PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
    "Soon" is a relative term.
    Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

welcome to the forum

you got a nice one there !!!

dave in NC
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• 7350life
        232 I6
        • Jul 05, 2020

Thanks, gents. I'm very glad to be here.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Yyyeessss.... Another 79 and another pignose grill!!! Welcome to the group! Glad you're here. 304 is a good motor, don't just get rid of it. Drive it/enjoy it/fix what bugs you.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 7350life
            232 I6
            • Jul 05, 2020

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
            Yyyeessss.... Another 79 and another pignose grill!!!
            Thanks! I'm enjoying the truck, but I struggle with keeping the stock grill. It was one thing for Jeep to ditch the round headlights for rectangles, it's another to move from away from vertical slot grills to horizontal. To me, Jeep abandoned their history and established design language. Sure, the egg crate and cheese grater grills combine both vertical and horizontal elements, but at least the vertical portions are there. Maybe it's the protruding snout of the pignose that bothers me more.

As a compromise, to keep the rectangle headlights, I though about swapping out the pignose to a muscle grill. In my eyes I would be correcting a wrong. It would also add the option to use the additional round cutouts that are blocked by the pignose grill for lights or something else.

In the end, the grill doesn't make the truck run better so it's low on the list of priorities.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
              Shakes hands with danger
              • Jul 01, 2012

Welcome! Always good to see another pick-em-up around here. Looks like a pretty solid start.

Originally posted by 7350life
              As a compromise, to keep the rectangle headlights, I though about swapping out the pignose to a muscle grill.
              Good call. I have toyed with the idea of backdating to a rhino or a razor, but I do love my muscle grille.
              '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
              High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Muscle grill is my favorite on a WT but they are pretty expensive these days. I love the pignose, too because it was so short lived and (IMHO) the most unique.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 7350life
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 05, 2020

You're right, I shouldn't betray the '79 heritage and keep it stock, pignose grill and all.

I'm fortunate that I have FNJeep nearby, a Jeep salvage yard. I have a number of parts that I acquired with this truck that I have no intention of using or needing like the passenger side chrome trim. I'm hoping to take all of the unneeded parts and swap (or get me most of the way) for a used muscle grill. I need to talk to them first to see if my plan is grounded in reality. I may be way off base, the muscle grill may be too expensive, and I keep the pignose.

Comment

• 77_Honcho
                    230 Tornado
                    • Jul 22, 2020

Welcome! Nice looking Jeep! Looking forward to see what you do with it!

Comment

• FleetFox
                      258 I6
                      • Apr 04, 2018

Awesome truck! You have a brow, the pignose looks right on it in my opinion. The drapes should match the carpet! my suggestion would be to find a brush bar or a nice meaty front bumper to beef up the look.

2 cents. no more, maybe less by the time you read this...

Fleet Fox

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Fleet Fox, again, with a some deep wisdom!

In the end, it is your truck and you will find none of us will judge you for swapping grills. Do what you want! I will say, I had a 78 front end and the bracketry is different between pignose and Razor grills. I don't think it would be as easy as unscrewing one grill and screwing on another.

The thing that is cool about these rigs, 7350life, is when Jeep/AMC built them, they were a conglomeration of parts from all the Big 3 and others. for instance, my 79 came from the factory with a GM TH400 transmission, but in 1980 the same rig would have come with a Chrysler Torqueflight trans. Full size Jeeps in 1979 came with Ford Carbs and ignition, GM steering systems, etc. What this means is, nothing is holy. You want to put a Nissan Diesel engine in it? Do it. You want to put a GM 14 bolt in it? Do it. You want to put a Razor grill on it? Do it. You want to lower it, paint it bass boat green with giant metal flakes, and really blingin wheels? ummm.... that was already done. Please don't do that again but you can if you want to.
                        Last edited by rang-a-stang; 08-05-2020, 01:41 PM.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 7350life
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 05, 2020

Thanks guys.

Rang-a-stang,

Good point on the hodge-podge of parts on this things. I knew about the Ford distributor and carb and I thought the GM steering components looked familiar.

I've got a few other things to iron out first before I even drive it too far, let alone concern myself with the grill.

FleetFox,

Despite what I said above about fixing other things first so I can drive this thing safely I have been occasionally looking for a used beefy front winch bumper and an old Warn winch. Someday.

This project is turning out exactly as I hoped, a nice distraction from the world we find ourselves in lately.

Comment

• FleetFox
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 04, 2018

totally ! Take your time, and have fun. I'm 2.5 years in and probably have another year of work before I feel like i can say "done." Besides, take some time and let it grow on you, then you'll have a vision of what you want the final product to look like.

Fleet Fox
                            Last edited by FleetFox; 08-05-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• autonoob
                              Banned
                              • Jun 04, 2020

I am so excited about how you will work on modifying this truck. Keep us posted with the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X