• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbstan
    232 I6
    • Jan 02, 2011

Stock leaf spring options?

I have been looking at options for new stock to 2" lift leaf springs for the Wagoneer and J10. I know this question has been asked on the forum many times over the years and I figure it might be time to gather more recent information. Here's some info I have gathered so far.

Stock replacement options:
    1. Crown (TeamGrandWagoneer)
    2. Dayton (RockAuto)
    3. General Spring Kansas City
    4. BJs
    5. Espo

2-3" lift options:
    1. BJs - they're in the process of switching manufacturers so this option won't be available for a while
    2. Rough Country (Hell Creek's 3" lift is from Rough Country)

I get the impression most don't recommend Rough Country or Espo. Espo seems to have a bad rep with their new rear springs not correcting the Wag Sag. I'm skeptical of BJ's stock springs with 4 leaves in the front and 3 leaves in the rear. My stock springs have 5+ leaves so I'm concerned that BJs stock springs will have a stiffer ride.

Anyone have experience with General Spring KC? Their springs look nice. I don't know which front springs to get (5 layer or 7 layer) to be level with their only choice for rear springs. They didn't get back to me on that question.

I'm not interested in a significant lift because I don't plan on doing any serious off roading, have no desire to install larger tires than 30-31" and do not want to mess with installing blocks. At most a 2" lift would be fine to me but I don't know of anyone who offers that besides BJs without going custom.

Anyone willing to share experience with their stock spring replacement options or recommend other vendors? How is the ride and did you have any issues with leveling after installing springs?
    Jon

1982 Wagoneer Limited AMC 360 727 Quadratrac
    1983 J10 Laredo AMC 360 T177 4-speed part-time
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

I bought Crown stock height front springs on Craigslist and Rocklaurence's Front shackle Reversal kit for the 2.5" in the front
    http://rocklaurencevintageautoparts....ackle-reversal. My Cherokee already had 2" lift blocks in the back. I wanted a little lift but did not want ride quality to change.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• mattmopar440
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • May 17, 2007

BJs 2" springs rides better and it makes it look like how it should of left the factory
      87' Grand Wagoneer
      401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
      84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
      80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
      74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
      Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
      Inferior Chevy

Comment

• ZackN920
        350 Buick
        • Nov 18, 2015

I don't know if they make a 2" or 2 1/2" for the back, but I gotta say that I'm very happy with my Rancho 44044 2 1/2" springs I got for the front. Ride seems nice so far. Not too hard. I think it looks good with my stock size (29") tires, and I think* it may fit 31's.

I bought mine used from another member. New, I think I saw they are around $100-175 apiece depending on where you get them.

Here's a pic after install on my Wagon with new stock size tires:
        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
        Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
        ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

Working...
        X