International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 10-16-2020, 12:09 PM
232 I6

Main reason for buying the donor column was the correct steering wheel and properly functioning gear shift indictor, among some other things:

Disassembled and awaiting cleaning:

All painted and awaiting reassembly on the column:

Indicator back together with a new bulb. Still need to cut something soft between the housing and column though. Original foamy stuff was done for:

By far the best moment of the entire restoration process:

2nd view.

3rd view.

Last edited by MysticRob : 10-22-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:50 PM
350 Buick

AWESOME dash work,....

NOTE:
saw the question about the lines of rubbed off paint etc on end of dash

that comes from the "cord" trim on the door panels

( you can tell it is in the shape of the two cord lines that come in contact with dash frame )

it touches that area when closed, after just a short time, it rubs paint off, etc, etc

a BIG pet peeve of mine,..... CANT STAND IT,....

I did as you did,....

dyed dash and column in wagoneer, thought I had fixed it,

rubbed off after new paint,....so I re did it, and covered with 3M clear paint protector vinyl,....

no dice,....failed.....it still wrinkles and embosses the clear protectant film,....

so,...I have just ordered carpet, and plan on putting carpet in that

"triangualrish" area of metal dash frame,....

we will see if that works.
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 10-16-2020, 01:08 PM
232 I6

Almost done with 'past' work, getting close to being caught up to present day stuff. The driver seat that was in mine was not only wrong (no headrest), but had multiple frame welds broken, plus the motor frame was pretty rusted and didn't work right.

Earlier this year I bought the correct power driver seat (with headrest) with a good base for my GW. I decided it was time to test it all before spending any time restoring it.
Discovered all the motors worked well, but the switch needed cleaned out. I Brake-Cleaned the heck out of it and that did the trick.

As with everything else, there was a lot of gunk and rust:

Testing everything:

Ready for paint after sanding and prepping:

Ready to go back onto the seat after lubing all the moving bits:

Last edited by MysticRob : 10-21-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:33 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
AWESOME dash work,....

NOTE:
saw the question about the lines of rubbed off paint etc on end of dash

that comes from the "cord" trim on the door panels

( you can tell it is in the shape of the two cord lines that come in contact with dash frame )

it touches that area when closed, after just a short time, it rubs paint off, etc, etc

a BIG pet peeve of mine,..... CANT STAND IT,....

I did as you did,....

dyed dash and column in wagoneer, thought I had fixed it,

rubbed off after new paint,....so I re did it, and covered with 3M clear paint protector vinyl,....

no dice,....failed.....it still wrinkles and embosses the clear protectant film,....

so,...I have just ordered carpet, and plan on putting carpet in that

"triangualrish" area of metal dash frame,....

we will see if that works.

Crud, that's what I was worried about. I think I'd seen where someone had glued microsuede with upholstery adhesive to that area, but didn't really understand why when I saw it.
I thought the wear marks on mine were just from the old door panels being so beat up and hanging off the panels somewhat.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:37 PM
232 I6

Caught up to this week. Tackling the original passenger side power seat base. First thing I noticed was the massive amount of rust, and a hog ring basically rust-welded onto the bottom of the frame foot. You know it had some bad water intrusion issues when the base looks this bad.

This base is pretty bad, but mechanically good, so I'll spend the time sanding it down, painting, then lubing up all the moving bits.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:19 AM
Shakes hands with danger

You are really cranking this out. I don't usually pay too much attention to GWs, as they are a little too uptown for people like me, but you're getting results, and this is a fun build to watch.

Let us know how the Dupli-Color product holds up under use. I've used SEM Color Coat many times and it's been really tough and durable, even in cargo areas and other places where heavy contact takes place. I never minded paying for it, though I was buying locally. Seems like some internet retailers charge a "mystique tax" for anything specialized enough that it's not sold at the local Wals-Mort.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:55 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
You are really cranking this out. I don't usually pay too much attention to GWs, as they are a little too uptown for people like me, but you're getting results, and this is a fun build to watch.

Let us know how the Dupli-Color product holds up under use. I've used SEM Color Coat many times and it's been really tough and durable, even in cargo areas and other places where heavy contact takes place. I never minded paying for it, though I was buying locally. Seems like some internet retailers charge a "mystique tax" for anything specialized enough that it's not sold at the local Wals-Mort.

Well, to be honest I'm just catching up on things I've done over the last almost-year, but thanks, it's been a wild ride so far.
I'll post more of what I did this weekend, now that I'm all caught up.

This poor thing was anything but upscale when I bought her. Most of the interior panels were missing, wrong driver seat, the carb was toast and wouldn't run unless gas poured down its throat, optional ASC power sunroof was non-functional (don't even have the headliner-mounted button for it), tons of surface rust in the passenger cabin, ignition completely miswired, leaky freeze plug, no interior or dash lights worked, etc.
Basket case, but for $1200 I couldn't expect much!

Will keep everyone updated on the durability of my various spray paints. I love the way my current go-to cans go on though.
The Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric in Desert Sand has very little overspray, and doesn't run even when I accidentally blast a spot. Same great coverage with the black version I used for the bottom carpet on the door panels.
The Krylon ColorMaxx is Semi-Gloss Black and needs above-average drying time, but it also sprays on nicely.

Last edited by MysticRob : 10-22-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:10 PM
232 I6

Alright, so I'm all caught up on big things done over the last 11 months. So many little details, and life, get in the way of timelines.

This weekend I found myself still working forward from the back once again. I found good cargo area fiberboard thingees at the salvage yard, put some light coats of protective paint on them, and installed them under the carpet:

Old 10-19-2020, 12:14 PM
232 I6

I was missing an access cover on the bottom of the hvac plumbing:

Salvage yard part to the rescue:

All painted and installed. It's the little things that bring joy:
Old 10-19-2020, 12:16 PM
232 I6

Had time to tackle the passenger power seat base too. Got it sanded down:

All prettied up:
Old 10-19-2020, 12:19 PM
232 I6

The original air cleaner lid wasn't up to my standards with all the dents, so salvage yard piece to the rescue:

All painted up:

Sanded down and painted the base too:

Put it on just to get it out of the way since I'm running out of garage space for other bits and pieces:
Old 10-19-2020, 12:27 PM
232 I6

Par for the course with this old girl, the rear bench seat must've gotten rammed by something that broke the welds on the seat-back frame and dented it up pretty badly. The base had too many dents and rust, and the bottom was all rusted up too. Original foam smelled like mold even after a good soap and water cleaning.

I scored a great salvage yard bench, so took 'em both apart to compare everything, and am happy the yard bench is perfect.

Old seat-bottom frame at bottom, new frame at top.

Donor foam in much better shape and doesn't smell of mildew, mold, and ebola:

Old seat back at top with broken spot welds and dented up frame (and obviously water-damaged paper backing), mo' betta donor perfectness at bottom:

New base all sanded:

Done with the inside. Need more rattlecan ColorMaxx semigloss black to complete the outside:

Just did a light cleaning and touch-up of the donor seat bottom:

Last edited by MysticRob : 10-23-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:22 PM
350 Buick

MORE GREAT WORK,...

I love to see the progress.

everything looks top notch.

no suprise from mystic rob

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 10-19-2020, 07:14 PM
232 I6

Had time after work tonight to flip over the bench seat base and paint it.

Also took the entire seatback assembly and gave it a good soap and water scrubbing. It's in great shape so will try to reassemble tomorrow if it's all dry.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:49 PM
327 Rambler

It looks like yours has the sunroof overhead 2 piece console. (because of the hanging wires) Do you have it or was it long gone? Did you ever come up with the sunroof switch? Great progress! Everything's looking sharp.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:20 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 WIDETRAC
It looks like yours has the sunroof overhead 2 piece console. (because of the hanging wires) Do you have it or was it long gone? Did you ever come up with the sunroof switch? Great progress! Everything's looking sharp.

Not sure on a console, but I saw no provisions for anything like that. And since the headliner was long-gone I have no idea where the switch location was supposed to be. I think I saw a pic awhile back that placed it somewhere near the center sunvisor hook, but not sure now.

I think what you're seeing as hanging wires is for the chrome courtesy and spot light assembly, which I removed once I got it all working to avoid smacking it with my head.
I'd love to see a pic of that 2 piece console though.

I have the complete optional ASC sunroof assembly (some parts rotted and broken), and all the wiring I just took pics of below.
That wiring was on the top of the roof tucked out of my way, so definitely not what you were seeing in other pics I've posted.

Here's everything I have. The connector dead in the middle of the pic with the shark fin on each side plugs into the power sunroof motor wiring on the sunroof assembly. The long connector on the right obviously plugs into the controller box, or whatever that thing is on the right with the rusted screw. The black wire must be ground. I'm guessing the 3 leads, TAN, BROWN, AND YELLOW WITH RED STRIPE, at the top left of the pic would go to the overhead open/close sunroof switch if I had it. ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET ONE??
I suppose any Jeep sunroof switch might work, but I'd like to be factory correct if I keep the sunroof.

Only difference in this pic is it shows the red wire, which I'm guessing is for power, that comes out of the front left drain hose hole near the left sun visor base.

Last edited by MysticRob : 10-26-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:26 PM
350 Buick

check with

Watson and sons jeep salvage pine town, NC

also a lot of the guys on here frequent salvage yards,

I bet one of them has a switch
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 10-20-2020, 08:24 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
Not sure on a console, but I saw no provisions for anything like that. And since the headliner was long-gone I have no idea where the switch location was supposed to be. I think I saw a pic awhile back that placed it somewhere near the center sunvisor hook, but not sure now.

I think what you're seeing as hanging wires is for the chrome courtesy and spot light assembly, which I removed once I got it all working to avoid smacking it with my head.
I'd love to see a pic of that 2 piece console though.

I have the complete factory ASC sunroof assembly (some parts rotted and broken), and all the wiring I just took pics of below.
That wiring was on the top of the roof tucked out of my way, so definitely not what you were seeing in other pics I've posted.

Here's everything I have. The connector dead in the middle of the pic with the shark fin on each side plugs into the power sunroof motor wiring on the sunroof assembly. The long connector on the right obviously plugs into the controller box, or whatever that thing is on the right with the rusted screw. The black wire must be ground. I'm guessing the 3 leads at the top left of the pic would go to the overhead open/close sunroof switch if I had it. ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET ONE??
I suppose any Jeep sunroof switch might work, but I'd like to be factory correct if I keep the sunroof.

Only difference in this pic is it shows the red wire, which I'm guessing is for power, that comes out of the front left drain hose hole near the left sun visor base.

I just realized your jeep is an 88 Overhead consoles are a 89-91 item. I've seen one 2 piece 89-91 console in person. I'm not sure what your switch would look like. I might have one out of an xj but not a fsj.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:04 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 WIDETRAC
I just realized your jeep is an 88 Overhead consoles are a 89-91 item. I've seen one 2 piece 89-91 console in person. I'm not sure what your switch would look like. I might have one out of an xj but not a fsj.

That's what I thought, just wanted to verify.
I've reopened this sunroof thread to hopefully get some more answers about my particular set up. Post #2 has a sunroof switch pic, which I assume would work for mine:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...83#post1723283

Last edited by MysticRob : 10-22-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:19 PM
350 Buick

That lawn mower! Oh, and great work on the Jeep too. Looking great!