International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 PM
232 I6

J10 Chevy 6.2 Swap.

I picked up my first FSJ this spring and pretty much fell in love with it. I've always been a wrangler guy, but man do I like to drive this truck. About a month or so back it started smokin real bad and I pulled over on the side of the road. Popped the hood and it looked like I had ran over five gallons of oil. I got it back to the shop, filled it with oil, power washed the block, and then let it run looking for the leak. It never did leak, but I can't leave well enough alone. I went about checking the time gear and ect for basic maintenance. It was worn pretty good. in the process of taking it off, the cam shaft snout fell off. So there I was. I know of a local GW with a 401 for cheap, but I happen to have a bravada that I was parting out I was able to trade for a 6.2 silverado that is turns freely but the guy couldn't get it to run after he changed the fuel filter. Not entire sure what is wrong with it, but I know it ran the night he pulled the fuel filter, so theres something. I have a buddy who is a diesel mechanic coming by to take a look at it sunday and we are gonna begin pulling it. I'll take it to the shop and get it rebuilt as I prep the J10 for the swap. Going to go head and clean it up, prep for paint and who knows, maybe even paint it.

Ultimately this thread will be about replacing the 360/727/stock jeep tcase with the 6.2/4l80e/np241 into my truck and hopefully same some mpg's while emptying my pocket into my new favorite money pit.

There are some pictures of what has been done so far.

Note, cam shaft is still in the block.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:56 PM

You sent the 6.2 out to get rebuilt cause you couldn't get it stated after a fuel filter change? You gotta fill the filter with fuel when installing or you'll get the fuel system air bound.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 PM
232 I6

No, the previous owner couldn't get it started after he changed the fuel filter. I'm going to have it ran through by the shop for my personal piece of mind. I'm putting a screw on fuel filter and a electric pump on it so the only the injection pump on will be stock. I'mma give my buddy a case of beer and if he can get it running before we pull it, great, if not, oh well.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:45 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreter
I'm going to have it ran through by the shop for my personal piece of mind. I'm putting a screw on fuel filter and a electric pump on it so the only the injection pump on will be stock.

Not a bad idea at all. It's a lot cheaper to freshen up an engine when it just needs new bearings, rings, gaskets and a hone job, rather than when there's a rod through the side of the block and fist sized chunks of metal rattling around in the oil pan.

What electric pump are you going to get? If you're going to put a screw on filter on it, I'd suggest getting a water separator too.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:51 PM
232 I6

The electric pump is a Auto Zone special. It specifically says diesel though I don't think it matters, between 4-8 psi I believe. Also the filter I got is also a water/fuel separator. It should be fine I hope. Only thing I'm terribly worried about is the transmission control. I'm assuming I can make it stand alone since I'm using the engine with it. Never dealt with a 4l80e.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 AM

Find a manual gearbox. Mileage will go from good to excellent and you won't regret it if you have to tow a heavy load on a hilly route. Not to mention less hassle and problems...

1982 Wagoneer Brougham
258/T176/219/Weber 32/36
Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 AM

Also, I am excited to see how this goes! Love FSJ/6.2 combos

1982 Wagoneer Brougham
258/T176/219/Weber 32/36
Old 08-20-2014, 10:41 AM
232 I6

Oh I would consider a manual if I wasn't terrible lazy. Between the work on installing the clutch, actually having to manually shift gears, and actually looking for one vs already having the over drive auto. I don't think that would happen. also 4x4 nv4500s are hard to find in these parts. although im sure I could get a 3500 to work, I can't bear the thought.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:13 PM
232 I6

I finally began taking the 6.2 out of the truck. Finished today.

After some pretty serious searching I've made a couple decisions in the past couple weeks.

I'm not going to be able to run the stock TCU, I haven't found anyone that has done it cheap enough to beat the TCI EZ controller.

I will be installing a turbo, I will be taking measurements after the engine install though to figure out if I want to deal with putting the turbo under the hood or under the bed like I originally wanted. As for boost, or rather how much boost, I will be running a manual controller and will aim for EGT's between 1000-1100. This seems to be the general consensus on max EGT's for this engine, 10 PSI being considered max boost (by Banks). Of course I'll have to press the envelop like everyone else. I want to make generally the same power from this swap as I would from a 6.0 LS series engine. They can pull easily everything I would need to pull, plus hopefully I'll still get better gas mileage.

Simply because.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:27 PM
232 I6

As I'm designing my motor mounts on Autocad to be cut out by a local plasma cutter, I got to thinking, maybe some one out there like a set as well. The ones I'm designing will be made to bolt onto the factory frame location for motor mounts. I will take care of issue with the steering shaft clearance and I will do my best to work away from doing anything to the factory heater. Things to note though, I am making this a tow rig, not a road road machine, the engine will sit lower then some may like. I will be using an electric fan, so mechanical fans may be too long as I like to be able to reach behind the engine with my hands. I won't promise that they will work for your 6.2 in your jeep the way you want it. They are built for my use, I can just have a couple extra cut out at the same time if anyone would be interested.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Gear Head

If the oil pan is high enough to clear the front axle without a lift kit, I'd love a set of those motor mounts, as long as the price isn't too high...
Pm me if you don't mind making an extra set, and let me know how much they'd be before I commit to them, lol.
I plan to install a 6.2 in my waggy over the winter....
Old 11-15-2014, 06:16 PM
232 I6

I'm not doing a lift kit, I'm guessing they won't cost me any more than 20 bucks a set to have cut out, I can weld them up for a few bucks, or ship them to you in pieces. I'll get them designed and post some pictures. of what I have designed once I get this bloody front clip off.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Gear Head

Sweet- keep me posted. I hope to have a 6.2 in my junk this spring...
Old 11-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

You might be interested in this -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331384364670?item=331384364670&viewitem=&sspagenam e=ADME:L:LCA:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr
-Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 11-17-2014, 10:13 PM
232 I6

Cool find, it looks like it would bolt to my 6.2 intake, only issue is the work i'd have to do to remove all the gear stuff from the intake... granted, I'm doing a completely restro, what is a little extra labor
Old 11-19-2014, 04:14 PM
232 I6

Well, this little dime fell into my lap this week. 93, 4.0 auto. Runes great, has the common sheared motor mount bolt issue. Will switch the j10 and the yj in the shop this week to fix that and hopefully be back to working on the j10 next week.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreter
I'm not doing a lift kit, I'm guessing they won't cost me any more than 20 bucks a set to have cut out, I can weld them up for a few bucks, or ship them to you in pieces. I'll get them designed and post some pictures. of what I have designed once I get this bloody front clip off.

I'd be interested. I'm not totally happy with the AA mounts. The 6.5 engine mounts are quite a bit further forward than where the factory mounts are on the frame.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Gear Head

Great yj, man! Looks like the rust is just on the surface... I love my baby jeep, I just hate that I have to have a tent if I want to go camping. Sleeping in the back of an fsj or xj is like a hotel room in comparison....
As far as the motor mounts go, you say they mount a little bit forward of the stock location?
Is it enough to throw off driveshaft lengths and transmission mount location? I don't mind fabrication to an extent, just need to know what to be prepared for....
Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechier86
As far as the motor mounts go, you say they mount a little bit forward of the stock location?
Is it enough to throw off driveshaft lengths and transmission mount location? I don't mind fabrication to an extent, just need to know what to be prepared for....

Well, that is hard to say because there are so many different engine/transmission/tcase combinations. When I got my engine where I wanted it, then bolted up the 700R4 and tcase, I got lucky and the trans crossmember just happened to line up with the rear set of factory holes. With my combination and mounting location, the rear shaft had to be shortened and the front lengthened. If you are using a GM transmission, you should expect to relocate the trans crossmember and lengthen/shorten driveshafts.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Gear Head

10-4. I was planning on a TH400, but didn't know what t case to use for driver drop, maybe a Ferd 208? Or maybe the stock 229, if it'll bolt up. I wasn't planning on much power, so I thought it would hold up if I could use it.