• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sitting Bull
    360 AMC
    • Sep 18, 2000

Best CB Antenna?

What antenna gives you the best bang for the buck? Not necessarily looking for the BEST antenna, just the one that gives you the best performance for the smallest amount of money. I'd like it to be about 4ft long, give or take (no 16' whips)
    Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

firesticks work well in my experiance. I have a 4ft one, it doesnt flex (fiber glass center), but it works fine up here in the mountains.

My J10 has the factory AM/FM/CB with the integrated FM/CB attenna. It picks up lots of stuff, I just dont have a hand set for it yet hehe. Also needs nobs :/

Comment

• Kimbrough
      304 AMC
      • May 14, 2000

I use a 3" Firestick. Works great!
      It has an optional fold-down base and a spring attachment. If it hits a branch it'll just bend outta the way and when I'm not using it I simply fold it down over my roof!
      Bought mine at www.alfenterprises.com
      1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer. Chevy 350 TBI. 4-inch lift. 31-inch BFG AT's.

Comment

• Bob Davis '80 Chero

I use a 3" Firestick. Works great!
        THREE INCHES ??!! You could mount it on the dash!

Comment

• Kimbrough
          304 AMC
          • May 14, 2000

OOPS! I mean 3 feet!!!
          1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer. Chevy 350 TBI. 4-inch lift. 31-inch BFG AT's.

Comment

• Rande
            Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
            • Jun 26, 2000

Firesticks work well. The K40 fiberglass antenna (similar to the firestick) works well. Wilson antennas enjoy a good reputation as well. I would buy Wilson before firestick. Just my experience. The longer, the better. Shorter antennas have a narrower bandwidth than the longer ones. Bandwidth? ok, hang in here.

A transmitting antenna's length is related to the wavelength of the frequency its transmitting on. Lower frequency = longer wavelength. Higher frequency = shorter wave length.

Ok, you install the antenna and tune it for best match at channel 20. Channel 20 being right in the middle of the 40 available channels in a CB. When you change channels, you are changing frequency but you are not changing the length of the antenna to maintain the proper match between the antenna and the new frequency you are transmitting on. The radio changes frequency but the antenna stays where it was. So, how far away from the matched frequency (channel 20) can you go before the mismatch gets to be troublesome? You can move up in frequency or channel and you can move down in channels. How far can you go before the mismatch gets bad? That's the idea behind the bandwidth of the antenna.

Really short, compact antennas can be very narrowbanded. You tune it to channel 20 and perhaps by the time you get to channel 30, the match is getting real bad. Likewise, you may be able to only go down to, perhaps, channel 10 or so and the match gets bad. When you tune the antenna, you should check the match on all channels to see what you have. If you find you have a narrow bandwidth on your antenna, you can optimize it for the channels you expect to be using. For instance, if your trail group normally uses channels between 30 and 40, you could tune the antenna for channel 25 or perhaps channel 27 and still be able to use the radio on channel 19 (highway/trucker channel) and still go up to the higher channels for the trail ride. Just remember you can't go much below channel 19 without getting into a bad mismatch with the antenna. The antenna may be narrow banded but you can move the available bandwidth up or down to accomodate the channels you expect to be using by tuning the antenna for a channel in the middle of where you expect to be.

Most modern antennas have good design and usually have good bandwidth. Just remember to check that aspect of the antenna before you just assume everything is ok.

[ December 03, 2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Rande ]
            N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
            1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
            1966 Mustang
            1937 IH D2

Comment

• bigun
              • Feb 10, 2003

on my pick up my 10 meter and 11 meter(cb) antten. were out on the west coast mirriors to get them as far apart as possiable in the center of the cab on the drip rail was my 2 meter gutter mount and a mag mount.for my scanner
              charlie
              KB0HXA
              "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
              congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
              How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
              Robert A. Heinlein
              The birth of CROM is recorded here
              http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• FSJ Thing
                Propane Protagonist
                • Aug 25, 2002

Bigun and Rande, For bandwidth on an antenna, suppose you have a CB with a built in SWR meter, could you retune the Antenna on the trail? This is just for CBs, I'll keep learning about HAM on my own thread...Thanks!

[ December 04, 2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Wago Thing ]
                The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• bigun
                  • Feb 10, 2003

no you would need an antenna tuner all the swr meter tells whether you are in tune or not
                  charlie
                  KB0HXA

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                  Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• FSJ Thing
                    Propane Protagonist
                    • Aug 25, 2002

OK, I have to admit that I don't know much about any kinda radio, but my Cobra LTD 29 (old one, rebuilt by RB/CS in Grand Junction) had a built in SWR meter and a knob labeled "SWR". All the times that I flipped the switch to SWR and then held down the mic button and screwed with the SWR knob until the SWR meter was in the middle of the green, was it doing anything benificial? This was with a radioshack 48" fiberglass whip...
                    The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• bigun
                      • Feb 10, 2003

ok I think with that set up you may be able to tune but you'll neeed rande for sure
                      charlie
                      KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• FSJ Thing
                        Propane Protagonist
                        • Aug 25, 2002

I hope so. It'd be nice to think that I was able to figger something like that out on my own. But, like I said, I don't really know much about anykind of radio. To be honest, I'm having a hard time memorizing what SWR stands for!

Comment

• flatbackdragon
                          304 AMC
                          • Aug 22, 2003

I agree with Rande on Wilson over Firesticks, had better results with Wilson's on semis. 'specially the 5000 steel whips.
                          Wago- RBCS in grd jct? they have bad rep over here, I had to take in schematics that came with radio for them to work on my radio before, whats with that? Really wont trust them with tv repair. No real CB shops over here to speak of, send mine with Meadow Gold drivers that go to Greeley so they drop off at shop at Johnsons Corner outside of Loveland and get worked on.
                          "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
                          Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
                          Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

• FSJ Thing
                            Propane Protagonist
                            • Aug 25, 2002

I haven't been over on that side of the mountains much since I left 6 yrs ago. RBCS used to be a pretty good shop a while back. My pop usta drive for $itty market before kroger fired all the drivers and made them move to denver and work for Compass. Back in 1995 or so, They replaced all the radios in all the trucks and my dad snagged two of the Cobra LTD29s that they were going to throw away and had RBCS rebuild them since they were the shop that serviced the radios for CM. I had mine all the way up until I rolled my Dodge last winter. I couldn't get back into the truck to get it out.

Comment

• flatbackdragon
                              304 AMC
                              • Aug 22, 2003

yeah they used to be, not so now.
                              funny, i moved from greeley in 92, don't want to see THAT side of mountain again!
                              "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
                              Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
                              Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

Working...
                              X