what to use to glue bumper step trim in place ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

what to use to glue bumper step trim in place ?

I had to repair my Caddy SRX rear bumper cover, since it was a complete re-spray, I removed rubber/plastic step strip on the top that was held in with brittle clips/tabs

Needless to say I broke most of them off..... instead of forking out a hundred bucks for a new one I was contemplating gluing the thing in place but i am not sure what to use, i was thinking black RTV or something as there is ribbing that allows water to seep out so contact cement would not work

any thoughts?

steve
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by Tripwire
    I had to repair my Caddy SRX rear bumper cover, since it was a complete re-spray, I removed rubber/plastic step strip on the top that was held in with brittle clips/tabs

Needless to say I broke most of them off..... instead of forking out a hundred bucks for a new one I was contemplating gluing the thing in place but i am not sure what to use, i was thinking black RTV or something as there is ribbing that allows water to seep out so contact cement would not work

any thoughts?

steve
    3m double sided tape works well. Or rubber butyl cement if you need some water proofing and moldable.
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

I agree with shag wag,....3M tape may work

or 3M Fusor, but that is high dollar
      and requires a special gun to dispense I think

if none of those work
      maybe a jb weld type product that works on metal/plastic
      and I have seen some small twin tube epoxy glue in wal mart, parts stores etc.
      some of those are formulated to bond plastic/metal etc....

hope it works out.

dave in NC
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

Working...
      X