• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iceman0502
    232 I6
    • Oct 27, 2010

1982 Wagoneer, 12 valve Cummins 6BT, 47RH, NP241

So I have been asking enough questions and it time to start my own build. So the story started three years ago when my wife and I were buying our house and our real estate agent sees we both drive wranglers and begins to tell us about her fathers 1982 wagoneer that sits in her driveway. Her father bought the truck new and was used as her sons first car. He has since past away and the truck was taken off the road due to rust and minor issues.

My wife always wanted a wagoneer and a year goes by and our real estate agent calls us to ask if we wanted the wagoneer. We asked how much and she said just to take care of it. So we dragged it home. It started with the help of a new starter and we got a new project.

Heres the bad....Rust, and alot of it. The floor pans were shot, in front of the rear wheel wells, rockers, lower quarters, and even the rear body mounts. The truck sat in the garage for about a year while we worked on the house and I figured out what to do with it.

The motor would have to get rebuilt, truck painted, new interior to replace the nutmeg color. My overall plan was simple.. everyday driver, long trips, and occasionally tow rig and keep it for a long time. Something to eventually stop borrowing dad's excursion. At the same time gas prices shot up and began to learn about diesels.

The body was pulled off the frame and the sheet metal work began. I made a new floor and bought rockers and lower quarters from BJs offroad. I found a donor truck. 94 Dodge Ram, 12 valve with 47RH hydraulic automatic transmission and NP241 transfer case. To make sure everything worked I even drove it for a few month when body work was being completed and the frame was taken apart.

At this point I found out we were having a baby and we only have two wranglers. Time to hussle. So in six months time, the following was done:
    - Body rust was repaired and painted
    - Motor was fitted
    - Frame was boxed (using steel from the ram frame), painted
    - 2 inch rustys add a leaf lift with stock rear springs and the fronts are made for a truck with plow set up handle the extra weight
    -Engine & trans - KDP, oil pan, tappet cover gaskets, trans filter
    Transfer case - SYE

I eventually ran out of time and my dad about to sell his cherokee, so I slowed down and focused on my daughter who was born in August.

I'm at the point now where the body is back on the frame the motor is mounted and I have to fit the radiator/ intercooler and then locate everything inside the engine compartment.

Hopefully the truck is on the road this summer. A donor truck was purchased for $200 with nice tan interior. Truck is an 89 and will have the newer features such as rear wiper, intermediate wipers, new style dash, etc. I also came with a new Jasper 360 that was only 5 years old.

I've gathered so much knowledge from all of you and will still be looking for more information.

Here is the link to my build. Still new to photobucket and posting pictures so this may take some time.

1982 Wagoneer - 12V Cummins - In Progress
  • Eugene 1
    304 AMC
    • Feb 04, 2006

nice work !
    JEEP
    2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• Resbum
      327 Rambler
      • Jun 16, 2010

Very cool. Nice work. Welcome to the oil burner party and thanks for sharing. Subscribed.

I really like the trans crossmember.

Resbum
      Originally posted by Resbum
      "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• rwjohnstone
        232 I6
        • Jul 17, 2011

Welcome to the club! As a fellow new yorker i share your pain with all that rust. The jeep looks great, keep at it.
        "Decide what to be and go be it." - The Avett Brothers

1964 J-200 "Alice" Build Thread:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150066

1979 CJ-7 (s) - Status: Dismantled Hibernation

1981 J-10 - Status: Parts? Daily Driver? Lawn Ornament?

1993 Cherokee Sport - Status: Sold (408,000 miles)

Comment

• Iceman0502
          232 I6
          • Oct 27, 2010

Thanks guys, you have all really helped me out

Originally posted by Resbum
          I really like the trans crossmember.
          Resbum
          Resbum - The crossmember was made from the front control arms on the dodge ram. I'm trying to avoid buying a ton of iron.

Originally posted by rwjohnstone
          Welcome to the club! As a fellow new yorker i share your pain with all that rust. The jeep looks great, keep at it.
          The rust in new york just takes over if you dont watch it. I live on Long Island so we have the sand and salt water from the beaches too.

Comment

• twisted frame
            350 Buick
            • Apr 01, 2003

Great work and way to go on your baby (daughter, not the truck!) For the bead roller work on your new floors - did you buy one of the Eastwood clamp-in-the-vise kind or do you have something larger?
            Mike
            1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
            44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
            Now in black primer.

Comment

• loosewrenchcowboy
              232 I6
              • Oct 08, 2008

swap

Nice looking project. The rust sucks. I got super lucky-my GW was an original owner car fresh outta arizona or new mexico.
              Anyways after reading the thread and lookin at the pics, i hate to ask, but have u considered radiator/intercooler/condensor to fan/engine clearance? Your pics show the tcase sittin in front of what appears to be the factory tank in the stock location? I used a 4bt cummins, 47rh, and an np208(208 was a hair shorter than the 241 fixed yoke) for my swap and i gotta say there was no way i could fit it in front of the factory tank with an intercooler and radiator? Unless maybe ur gutting the core support? How'd u get it to fit?

Comment

• Iceman0502
                232 I6
                • Oct 27, 2010

Twisted Metal - The floors were made with a woodward gab vise mounted bead roller. It worked alot better then expected. I found out that the vise mounted rollers had alot a flex to them and need to be strengthened. Also the HF roller used thinner metal than the woodward fab. I welded some angle iron to it to remove some flex. Check out this link. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=95483

The replacement patch panels were a little high for the amount of metal. I picked up a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge from the local metal supply for around $100. The 16 guage is much stronger than the factory 18 gauge. between extra thickness and the beads there is plenty of strength.

Loosewrenchcowboy - Good catch on the gas tank. So the motor was placed so that the mechanical fan fits with the factory radiator. The transfer case does take over the location of the stock gas tank. About 6-8 inches. ( I forget the exact amount) I plan on having a custom tank made so I cut the stock tank and skid plate to use for a template. The new tank will be 2 inches higher to advantage of the 2 inch body lift and hopefully retain the same fuel capacity.
                I wanted to keep the spare tire in the stock location instead of using a bronco tank and tire carrier.

Comment

• 68J2000
                  232 I6
                  • May 09, 2009

Awesome build you have there, I can't believe I've only stumbled across this build now. I was looking to do the same type of conversion with my '68 Gladiator but needed the 12V engine for my other truck. By the way where-about on the Island are you from. I know there's a few of us on this forum that live here, I live in Commack.

Again very nice job on the truck!
                  1968 J2000 Gladiator : AMC 304, AX15 5 speed, Dana 300, Dana 44/44 4.27 Gears (W.I.P.)

1969 Triumph GT6+ : 6cyl, 4speed, resto in order, (on the back burner)

2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6cyl Cummins, Stock

Comment

• Iceman0502
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 27, 2010

68J2000, Thanks for the support. I'm located right next to you in Huntington. Let me know if you need help when it comes down to it. I read alot on this before starting, but have learned so much more once i began fitting everything. There are things that I would have slightly changed but nothing that I can't live with moving foward.

My friend just bought a 66 J2000 and plans on doing the same swap.

Comment

• 68J2000
                      232 I6
                      • May 09, 2009

Originally posted by Iceman0502
                      68J2000, Thanks for the support. I'm located right next to you in Huntington. Let me know if you need help when it comes down to it. I read alot on this before starting, but have learned so much more once i began fitting everything. There are things that I would have slightly changed but nothing that I can't live with moving foward.

My friend just bought a 66 J2000 and plans on doing the same swap.

You're practically right around the corner from me and yeah I hear you, this site is a fountain of knowledge and everyone on here is very helpful. Nothing quite like first hand experience though. If you ever need a hand working on your truck I'm always willing to lend a hand (so long as they don't have me tied up at work of course), just let me know I'll shoot you a pm with my cell # if you need some help. Good luck to your friend with his build, tell him to get on here and start posting up some pictures of his rig if he hasn't already

-Nick
                      1968 J2000 Gladiator : AMC 304, AX15 5 speed, Dana 300, Dana 44/44 4.27 Gears (W.I.P.)

1969 Triumph GT6+ : 6cyl, 4speed, resto in order, (on the back burner)

2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6cyl Cummins, Stock

Comment

Working...
                      X