• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chero77
    350 Buick
    • Jun 24, 2000

Rebuilt AMC V8 and TBI versus TPI Chevy 350

Well, I can see that anyone who keeps one of our rigs for more than a few years is going to have face the engine rebuild or replace issue. (Hopefully, I will be able to put this off for a long time.)

(Ok, I a little bored today.) But, what do you guys think of the following comparision. A reman AMC V8 retrofitted with Holley TBI (lets say 2bl for cost reasons) versus a new Goodwrench 350 (about $1400) retrofitted with tuned port injection. So how about some discussion regarding ultimate total costs, performance, reliability, etc, between the two above senarios. I guess the ulitmate goal is getting a strong reliable engine for modest cost, with something close to modern driveability.
    \'73 AMX Javelin 401 (work in progress), \'77 WT Cherokee.
  • reddog
    304 AMC
    • Jul 26, 2000

I would think that by the time you added the port injection and the adapter to bolt the chevy to your th400 that you would spend more than you would with an AMC 360 and the holly TBI for similar performance. JMHO

Kerry
    87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...

Comment

• JohnnyJ
      258 I6
      • Jan 21, 2001

I've done the AMC 360 with Projection, and I like it. It cost some pretty good money to do it the way I did:

Short block $800
      Edelbrock intake $250
      Edelbrock cam $125
      Projection 4Di $1200
      Misc (rockers, pushrods, etc) $200

So, that was about $2600, plus whatever I have forgotten to add in. The 4Di is nice because you can tune it exactly the way you want it.

But, there are days that I look at the new crate 400-hp Chevy 350 with 700r4 and Atlas 2 and drool a little at the concept.

To get a crate for $3500 ready to rock is sweet.
      Past Project: Stock Class TREC Racer Build Thread
      Current project: bringing back my 75 Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
      X