• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FMSINC
    232 I6
    • Jan 09, 2006

AMC 360 = Mopar 360?

Yep, venturing into into uncharted territory again with my Jeep addiction!
    This will be my 1st attempt at AMC motor swapping!

Looking' at my '79 Cherokee 360 motor (reportedly 69k miles and stored for 2 years with oiled cylinders) with its fabulous stock egr plumbing, 2bbl Motorcraft carb, and aerodynamic lightweight stock cast iron intake thinking....screw this, gimme an Edelbrock AL non-egr intake, 500-600 CFM Edelbrock carb, and an HEI and move on to installing the motor.

Oh yah, it is getting put into an '80 J10 that was a 360 originally but currently sports a cockeyed 258 because only one motor mount bolt was close enough to connect. Proudly I can offer this was not my doing but that of a professional con man (and his son) out of Arkansas. Name and address available upon request!

What do all your bigger brains out there think about this plan of action with the motor?

And,

Can a Mopar 360 intake be used for an AMC 360? How about an HEI distributor?
    Paint Side Up!!!!

1980 J10, Successful Heart Transplant 2016...360-V8, TF727, NP208, 2nd Upgraded Transplant 2023. Had to have a "Brow" for this Beast of a Plow!https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/custom/biggthumpup.gif

1985 J10, 258cid-I6, TF727, NP229, Rusty But Trusty! RIP 12/1/16

1986 J20, 360-V8, TF727, NP208, Great Donor for the '80!​​
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

nope. the doge and am 360's are about as alike as both are to a ford 360.

Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

sigh....doge = dodge and am = amc. stupid fingers...
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• DarkMonohue
        Shakes hands with danger
        • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by FMSINC
        Can a Mopar 360 intake be used for an AMC 360?
        Absolutely not. The two are entirely different and have no relation to each other whatsoever. The only thing they share is the engine displacement. The AMC engine has nothing to do with any other engine.

How about an HEI distributor?
        If you like. Depends on what problem you're trying to solve and how much you want to spend. You don't have to replace the whole distributor to upgrade the ignition system. You can use an HEI module with your existing Duraspark distributor. If you want to get semi-fancy, you can also use a Ford big cap adapter, cap, and rotor to ... well... use a bigger distributor cap. Some folks here believe it is necessary with higher ignition power, and others have used the stock cap and rotor with an HEI module and/or high-output (Ford TFI?) coil. Check the Search function when you have a second. I bet there's a writeup or three around here somewhere.
        Last edited by DarkMonohue; 05-07-2016, 05:18 PM.
        '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
        High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• FMSINC
          232 I6
          • Jan 09, 2006

Thanx Y'All!
          Answers the 360 parts interchange question, now to find the parts!

I have used Pertonix modules before with good success, anyone done it on an 79 AMC 360?

And now, Looking for a used Edlebrock AMC 360 Non-egr intake, anyone got one for sale? Got a few older Hollys that might clean up!

Or Edelbrock carb/intake that is affordable?

Thanx in advance to everybody chiming in!
          Paint Side Up!!!!

1980 J10, Successful Heart Transplant 2016...360-V8, TF727, NP208, 2nd Upgraded Transplant 2023. Had to have a "Brow" for this Beast of a Plow!https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images/smilies/custom/biggthumpup.gif

Comment

• DarkMonohue
            Shakes hands with danger
            • Jul 01, 2012

I have used Pertonix modules before with good success, anyone done it on an 79 AMC 360?
            Unless I misunderstand you, there's no need. You already have effective, reliable electronic ignition that is easily upgraded if you feel the need - although it really works just fine as-is. That wheel is already round.
            '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
            High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Overkill SC
              232 I6
              • Jun 07, 2010

You can buy plug and play HEI distributors on EBay for about $60.

You can get one with all plug wires for about $115.

I converted from the MotorCraft so I could clean up the wiring and remove the boxes. Works great! It is a tight fit around the PS pump though. Had to get the placement just right.
              '79 Cherokee "Super Chief": 401!, TH400, part time Q-T, 33-12.50s
              '79 J-10: 258 Clifford power, 3 sp man, 31x10.50's "Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association"
              '85 J-10 RIP
              '67 J Truck - anybody need a 327 or other parts?
              327 with rebuilt heads. Ran a long time ago. $200, I'll help you pull it.

Comment

• FMSINC
                232 I6
                • Jan 09, 2006

It Runs!

Yes, many skinned knuckles, foul words, and flying tools later.....the 360 is in and running poorly on the old carb after an overnight "IV" of Sea Foam. Sounds like a stock car with those open exhaust manifolds too!!!!!

But the carb is an issue.

So here is the latest question....is there an inexpensive alternative to that EGR/Solenoid motorcraft carb that the motor came with? What stock 2 barrel NON-EGR carb will make this run good?

Thanx in advance!
                Paint Side Up!!!!

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

If you don't want to change to a 4bbl intake...

Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

A Motorcraft 2150 is cheap and is very reliable. I $50 rebuild and it'll be fine for a couple years.

Comment

Working...
                    X