Hypothetical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MD/DB....

Ok, I can get that some areas need different things...just wish you could get a more base model rig, or options ala carte, like way back when...I hate all these 'PEP's'- Preferred Equipment Packages.

Yeah, I think a re-do of the tailgate would be good...barn or 3-flap would be neat options, or a 2-flap, top and bottom like on the old Jeepster Commandos.

Sorry bout the rant, but just sick of all this globalist kum-bay-ah garbage.
    We used to be a sovereign country, with our own traditions/beliefs/way of doing things. You could tell a 'yank tank' from other countries rigs. Even if in some of the FSJ ads, it was a bit up market, you could still just get a plain 'ol Jeep, and they looked like Jeeps, and could do Jeep things.

Not this Compass/Patriot/Unicorn junk- they should come with a 'Mall Rated' badge, so you'd be sure it can scale a parking lot speed bump at the Ginormous Box Store. To me the new Cherokee and Grand Chero are way to Cadillac like, but guess that's where the market is, sadly. Nobody's gonna wheel a rig with 2K worth of HID headlamps and 4K in bumper covers.
    Just too complex and costly to play with, and I'm not even a wheeler like most of you guys....if I got a fender bender, could probably pound it out, and maybe 25 bucks for a new headlamp.

Comment

• Billygoat
      304 AMC
      • Mar 16, 2004

Originally posted by bmax65
      Ok, I can get that some areas need different things...just wish you could get a more base model rig, or options ala carte, like way back when...I hate all these 'PEP's'- Preferred Equipment Packages.
      Oh man I hear you on that!!!!
      I get bundling certain things, like heated seats are only leather, but on a new Colorado to get the high output headlights, you have to get leather seats - Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!!!!! I can go to subway and buy $5 sandwich exactly how I want it, but not a $35k truck!!!!

whew - thanks for the rant, That is why I don't buy new, not being able to afford it has nothing to do with it....

I almost built a comparable rig to what you can buy new, I just fell short on the fit/finish end of it.

Comment

• mdcptman
        Jeep Therapist
        • Apr 09, 2010

Originally posted by bmax65

Yeah, I think a re-do of the tailgate would be good...barn or 3-flap would be neat options, or a 2-flap, top and bottom like on the old Jeepster Commandos.

Sorry bout the rant, but just sick of all this globalist kum-bay-ah garbage.
        We used to be a sovereign country, with our own traditions/beliefs/way of doing things. You could tell a 'yank tank' from other countries rigs. Even if in some of the FSJ ads, it was a bit up market, you could still just get a plain 'ol Jeep, and they looked like Jeeps, and could do Jeep things.

Not this Compass/Patriot/Unicorn junk- they should come with a 'Mall Rated' badge, so you'd be sure it can scale a parking lot speed bump at the Ginormous Box Store. To me the new Cherokee and Grand Chero are way to Cadillac like, but guess that's where the market is, sadly. Nobody's gonna wheel a rig with 2K worth of HID headlamps and 4K in bumper covers.
        Just too complex and costly to play with, and I'm not even a wheeler like most of you guys....if I got a fender bender, could probably pound it out, and maybe 25 bucks for a new headlamp.
        I totally hear ya. a base model with just the things that are important to you personally. That would be great.
        Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
        88 Grand Wagoneer
        360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
        Edelbrock 2131
        Holley 600
        Hydroboost
        Hedman headers
        Dual exhaust
        MSD6A, TFI
        Digital Gauges
        Rusty's 2" Lift
        31x10.5 15LT15s
        Quote From Friend's Mom:
        "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• DieselSJ
          304 AMC
          • May 19, 2003

Modern EFI engine with OD trans. Alternately, one of the new diesel V6 from the Dodge trucks. Perhaps coils in the front (I know BLASPHEMY!!!)
          -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
          -99 XJ Limited.
          -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
          -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Brand new huh? J-20 with better quality wiring/electrics, less fluff and lose the latch tailgate for the old time chain/hook gate.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• mic63
              258 I6
              • Aug 19, 2004

A 36 gallon gas tank. My Grandpa always wanted the same for his '64 Wagoneer. Especially during snow storms and harvest time.
              1963 Wagoneer. 230 OHC Tornado. Three on the tree.
              http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...63%20Wagoneer/

Comment

• Gurinski
                258 I6
                • Mar 14, 2010

Basically a four door bronco, FI O/D trans coil fs center console with cup holders.
                1991 GW TFI GM-icm 360 727 np229

Comment

A RELIABLE O/D trans. I'd take an AW4 any day over one of the Mopain ones. I like getting 200,000 miles+ before having to change it out or more if it's properly maintained.
                  Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• KJ Ryu
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 06, 2008

MPEFI, O/D, serpentine belt, and lately I've discovered that I really could use heated mirrors in the mornings. But, the wing windows gotta stay!
                    Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled.
                    1977 J10, 2v304, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly Occasional driving!
                    1978 SJ Wagoneer, 360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall NOT Running
                    1977 J10 4v401, TH400, BW1339, mostly stock DD

Originally posted by Mars
                    One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                      Banned
                      • Mar 01, 2009

Unicorn hunt.

The reason why, even if they did make one now days to directly compete with the RAM trucks or SUVs...first of all, it will be just like they are made right now.

The reason you don't get check boxes anymore is because that means they have to slow down the build process and select individual items to install. Packages are easier to install at the assembly line and the main reason the dealership makes money...nobody wants a base model, unless they are a fleet vehicle leasor.

Some of the "Unicorn Crap" gadgets are mandated by the EPA/ CAFE board/ NHTSA. So simple powertrain and simple safety aint gonna happen for cheap...if ever.

I watched a video featuring the safety of a Smart Car in a 70mph crash test into a concrete barrier. It survived because it had a rigid steel cage around the passenger compartment...but very small crumple zones resulted in the G-forces of the sudden deceleration likely killing any passengers due to severe internal trauma...internal organs aren't meant to go from 70-0 in 1.2 seconds.
                      On a larger vehicle, the implementation of an integrated safety cage would be brilliant...but then there goes your ease of working on it again.

If the cage is tweaked in a collision, and its incorporation into the cab's A/B nd C pillars is compromised, the body may be junk, and possibly not-licensable for road use after a salvage or repair is done by a non-licensed auto-repair shop.

finally, the "High dollar" rigs are selling great to people who never plan to go wheeling...just like they were 25-30 years ago -$25-$30k for a 88 GWag that never sees a trail? Yup. Just like $40-$50k for a 2013 Grand Cherokee that never sees a trail.

Face it. The days of the GTX are long gone. Just be glad you have what you have. If you don't like certain aspects, try to improve them. But simply waiting for Fiat-Chrysler-Jeep to build a bare bones modern J-truck or Wagoneer for you isn't likely to reward you with the Jeep of your dreams.
                      Build one yourself. Many here have done that very thing.
                      Last edited by Tinkerjeep; 02-03-2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• DBX11
                        258 I6
                        • May 18, 2009

That's what hypothetical means in a long way, so whatcha wanna change then if you had a time traveling unicorn?

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                          Banned
                          • Mar 01, 2009

Too many things to list. But I just built what I wanted myself. Check the build threads in my sig for my preferred FSJ changes and alterations.

Comment

• ihavejeep
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 21, 2014

Originally posted by draglink
                            rear doors in place of sliding window and tailgate like an excursion

I'd prefer to keep the tailgate and just have the window flip up. Landcrusier style:

Comment

Barn doors are betterer..... Even if it isn't an FSJ.

Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• DBX11
                                258 I6
                                • May 18, 2009

What is that an old suburban or
                                A scout

Comment

Working...
                                X