X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crankyolman
    350 Buick
    • Sep 27, 2017

[QUOTE=Heep-J4000]Don't know what the dimensions are ,but there are some not expensive ones on eBay,
    Thanks Heep-J4000, I didn't even think about looking for pre cut mirror glass.

I found an older independent auto parts store not too far from me in Puyallup. I think I will see if they have anything but I also found what looks like a suitable mirror head at Summit so there is hope It sucks that someone broke my mirror and it sucks more that it was likely someone at my work.
    '72 J4500

Comment

• oregonphil
      232 I6
      • Oct 17, 2020

Some people got no respect anymore, they just don't give a ....
      OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
      72 Commando 304
      07 Toyota Sienna
      76 HD FLH

Comment

• Crankyolman
        350 Buick
        • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by oregonphil
        Some people got no respect anymore, they just don't give a ....
        That's true.

Oddly I'm not really angry, just upset. I figure someone must have not been paying attention where they were walking and probably walked into it, or possibly trying to joke and move my mirror, someone has done that multiple times in the past and I have the mirrors adjusted fairly tight so I can see how someone might break it if they tried to move it wrong. Where I backed in on the right side of the truck was a walkway wide enough to be a parking spot so it's not like there wasn't any room.

We actually have cameras at work but only management can view them. I don't want anybody to get in trouble but I want to know what happened so I asked one of the managers to have a look and see if they can see what happened.

The good news is I have found a new stainless steel replacement for it that isn't terribly expensive so it will be fixed soon
        '72 J4500

Comment

• Heep-J4000
          350 Buick
          • Feb 09, 2014

This looks like the ones on your jeep and are not too expensive
          Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
          73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
          80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
          70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
          85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
          83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• oregonphil
            232 I6
            • Oct 17, 2020

I understand, it's just frustrating. The mirrors on both my Jeeps get bumped out of position in parking lots. Just never had one broken that way.
            I did have a really close call years ago in our VW van. Going thru a curved tunnel, I was hugging the double yellow in my direction and a Caltrans service pick up was doing the same coming the other way. Yep we hit mirrors only, broke both of them. That was scary!
            OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
            72 Commando 304
            07 Toyota Sienna
            76 HD FLH

Comment

• Crankyolman
              350 Buick
              • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by Heep-J4000
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-VIN...AAAOSwMVZe9oPz

This looks like the ones on your jeep and are not too expensive
              Those are ball stud and mine are solid mount Most I find are ball stud, which I don't like.

There are a couple of companies still making the style I have they are also way cheaper than I expected
              Free Shipping - CIPA Replacement Mirror Heads with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Side View Mirror Components at Summit Racing.

Amazon also has them for either $18 or $29 for the same one and they all seem to have good reviews.

That's when I start to over complicate things Shipping is free from Amazon but currently I'm not real happy with Amazon and want to avoid buying from them. Shipping from Summit is only free if you spend $100 and even if I bought 2 mirrors, oil and an oil filter it still wouldn't come to $100, which I suppose is a good thing because the truck doesn't need anything but it's a bad thing for summit because Amazon works out cheaper. Now If I buy two mirrors to assure they match it works out to about $2 more from Summit which is kind of worth it to not give any money to Amazon.

So decisions, decisions, decisions

One thing I will say about Summit is they have amazing shipping. Most of the time I receive whatever I order the next day but once I ordered something in the morning, had it shipped ground from Nevada or somewhere like that and somehow they actually managed to deliver to me south of Seattle that same day, I have no idea how but it impressed the hell out of me.
              '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                350 Buick
                • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by oregonphil
                I understand, it's just frustrating. The mirrors on both my Jeeps get bumped out of position in parking lots. Just never had one broken that way.
                I did have a really close call years ago in our VW van. Going thru a curved tunnel, I was hugging the double yellow in my direction and a Caltrans service pick up was doing the same coming the other way. Yep we hit mirrors only, broke both of them. That was scary!

It is frustrating, I've gone through a lot of trouble to keep my truck looking good and then this kind of stuff happens. At least it's an easy fix, if the paint got messed up it wouldn't be so I'm glad it was something cheap and easy to fix.
                '72 J4500

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                  258 I6
                  • Jun 11, 2017

In case it helps, RockAuto has a few different options for replacement mirrors too.
                  I bought a pair from them a couple of years ago for our '74 Ford F100 with similarly broken glass.

Look under "Replacement Mirror Head" and "Universal Mirror Assembly" in this link:
                  RockAuto Link
                  1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                  1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
                  1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• Crankyolman
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
                    In case it helps, RockAuto has a few different options for replacement mirrors too.
                    I bought a pair from them a couple of years ago for our '74 Ford F100 with similarly broken glass.

Look under "Replacement Mirror Head" and "Universal Mirror Assembly" in this link:
                    RockAuto Link
                    Thank you, I forgot all about Rock Auto and they do have similar mirrors that come to about the same price.

My wife tells me she decided to make an executive decision and pulled the trigger on the ones from Summit. Unfortunately it seems they are no longer using the shipping company they used to and they aren't expected to be here until next Tuesday, which isn't really a big deal I had just gotten used to their time traveling delivery ninjas.
                    '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 27, 2017

I get my new mirrors yesterday The box was kind of beat up and the boxes inside had holes punched in them but somehow they actually survived.

I installed them today and they are now good as new again

'72 J4500

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Yes!!!! Crisis averted!! They look as good as before! If you do not mind me asking, how much $$ did this ordeal end up costing?
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• oregonphil
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 17, 2020

Perfect.
                          OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
                          72 Commando 304
                          07 Toyota Sienna
                          76 HD FLH

Comment

• They look good. Had a clone to those on a GM once. Out like your pic with the cabover camper on, and swung them in and flipped the heads over when the camper was off.
                            If you can use them when turned in, sure would save a repeat.
                            Art
                            ASE Master Collision Tech
                            "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Crankyolman
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 27, 2017

Thank you everybody.

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                              Yes!!!! Crisis averted!! They look as good as before! If you do not mind me asking, how much $$ did this ordeal end up costing?
                              They came to $38.50 shipped for the pair from Summit. I could have gotten them from Amazon for $35 or Rock auto currently comes in cheapest at $34.05 shipped.

A funny thing I noticed is the price has actually dropped slightly on them at Amazon, and I think Rock auto. It would seem my timing sucks but I'm happy with them, they are stainless steel and not chrome and should it happen again I now have a spare mirror that doesn't quite match but will due until I get another one.

Originally posted by goldhammer
                              If you can use them when turned in, sure would save a repeat.
                              It would but the way they mount doesn't allow that, maybe if they were ball mount.
                              '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                                350 Buick
                                • Sep 27, 2017

This morning I was about a mile from work on my way in when I heard the noise of something hitting the fan.

A few things run through my mind when I hear that sound and the first one is the fan clutch failed and just destroyed the radiator but there was no antifreeze smell and it was only a momentary sound. With nowhere good to stop I continued the short distance to work before I looked under the hood.
                                When I did look I found this
                                Somehow the alternator belt came off, worked it's way under the power steering belt and wrapped itself around the fan.

So I got it untangled it and took it off. It was pretty rough.

Fortunately the auto shop at my work had a new one they let me borrow if I promised to replace it. So, new belt in hand I proceeded to put it on, which shouldn't be a big deal but the 150 amp Powermaster alternator doesn't leave much room for adjustment before it hits the oil filter so it took a little while and effort to get the belt on but it's all fixed now.

While working on it I had flashbacks of the time I lost the belt on my 66 Gladiator which was affectionately known as the "Heep de Rojo"

It was around 30 years ago, I was young and roadkill before roadkill was cool. My old '66 was about as spartan as they came. The only real luxuries were a 283 Chevy engine with a 350 transmission and a Cadillac split bench seat.

It had no power anything and was so low geared it's maximum speed was 68MPH with the engine redlining, literally going down a mountain with a stiff tailwind. At that kind of speed the engine would slowly begin to overheat and I would have to slow down for it to cool down. The truck would go all day at 50 and with the 50 gallon fuel tank it often did.

I was heading to Alaska from Minnesota via Oklahoma and thought I was fairly well prepared until I heard that sound.

I was in the middle of nowhere on the Alcan somewhere 3 or 4 hrs from Whitehorse, Yukon when I heard it and saw the truck instantly overheat

Pulling over and opening the hood I found the bolt that held the alternator bracket to the engine had broken and the only belt the engine had was now missing.

I managed to remove and replace the broken bolt and had what I thought was a spare belt but it turned out to be the wrong size. Looking back at the road I could just make out the old belt about a half mile back so I walked back and found it was in pretty rough shape but still one piece so I reinstalled it.

Fortunately it held together long enough to limp into Whitehorse and buy a new one leaving me one more memory of a great adventure I took when I was young enough to get away with such things.
                                Last edited by Crankyolman; 03-05-2021, 05:47 PM.
                                '72 J4500

Comment

Working...
                                X