• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • westofeden
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 19, 2014

Factory installed sunroof issues on '89 GW

So unfortunately the Grand Wagoneer I am fixing up has the "factory" ASC installed sunroof, and I am having some issues regarding it. Because it was not common in these cars and there really aren't many out there with them at all nowadays, I can't really find much information on it.

The sunroof currently does not work. There is a pretty bad leak above the driver side from the pan catching the water that comes through. I have a hunch the drain hoses are plugged up and it is backing water up to that point. From what I can see, the gaskets aren't bad (no light coming through when shut); however, I'd really like to get the sunroof working so I can open it and check. Anyone know where the location for the sunroof fuse is? I have all the original parts/motors/switches for the sunroof hooked up but I am not even getting a sound out of the motor. Thanks, these things are a real big pain.
    1989 Grand Wagoneer
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Since they were dealer installed the fuse really can hide anywhere.

The 2 that I've had were under the column, single red wire w/ glass fuse like old radios etc.

Look for a wire that is just plugged into the fuse box.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• westofeden
      230 Tornado
      • Nov 19, 2014

Originally posted by babywag
      Since they were dealer installed the fuse really can hide anywhere.

The 2 that I've had were under the column, single red wire w/ glass fuse like old radios etc.

Look for a wire that is just plugged into the fuse box.
      I was under the impression that an ASC installation was actually factory, is that wrong?
      1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Dunno but the one in my '90 sure doesn't look factory.
        Tony

Comment

• acct21
          327 Rambler
          • May 20, 2014

The actual GW with the sunroof option was as much of a "factory" item as 1980s Mustang convertibles, GM T-top Corvettes, Camaros, Regals, etc. The sunroof -- along with the installation/removal instructions -- are in the "Accessories" section of the 1990 TSM.

All of the work was done by a subcontractor -- American Sunroof Corp (ASC). They had plants all over, but the one closest to Jeep's Toledo plant was probably the one in Detroit.

At whatever point in the assembly process the GW got the sunroof, it was installed by ASC and then the trucks either went back to Toledo for completion, or they went directly to distribution -- I don't actually know which way it worked.

ASC is still in business today -- they make the convertibles for BMW, Volkswagen, GM, etc.
          Last edited by acct21; 02-26-2015, 04:53 PM.
          1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

89? Don't know about 89 but earlier say early to mid 80's the factory installed electric impress the cherleaders sun/moon view ports only came with the vinyl roof covering.so that may be a clue if it's factory or dealer installed. In 89 I doubt it's "factory" installed but if it's electric...odds are fair. Dealers liked the cheap-n-easy pop-up's If you pay dealers enough they will install anything including espresso makers if the price is right but won't guarantee it's a factory AMC unit.
            The leaking/overflow issue is likely the drains are clogged up.(think stiff wire and some rootering time). I have no idea where the fuse for the motor is but it's common for the motors to have a bad corroded ground or just flat go TU. The 89 TSM wiring schematics should tell you if/where a fuse should be. Rooter out the drains then clean the ground at both ends before ordering parts.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• red mistress
              304 AMC
              • Sep 13, 2007

If you determine the switch is bad.

I have a NOS sunroof switch.
              67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
              69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
              80 Honcho Sportside
              82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
              82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
              83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
              84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
              84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
              87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

• TBT
                232 I6
                • Mar 09, 2004

It's likely the switch or the brain, which controls polarity. The motor is reversible like the power side windows; the rear window and is controled by the "Brain". Which is under the headliner above the rear driver's side door. To test for a bad brain you have to access the wiring at the motor, bypassing the brain, not at the switch. Another way to test is to put in another switch, if it still doesn't work it's the brain. Either way it's a PIA, and your going to need a new headliner.

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Mine has just part of the overhead, (just rear part) they left all the wiring up there for it though.
                  I've seen them in various configurations on '89-'91.
                  Pretty easy to tell they were added after left factory on all the ones I've seen.
                  Tony

Comment

• westofeden
                    230 Tornado
                    • Nov 19, 2014

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try and locate the fuse and start there, then work my way to the switch then the "brain". I'll report back tonight or tomorrow! Also for those wondering, I have the original 1989 manual for the car and there is a brief (4 sentences) section on the power sunroof, but it gives no information on the electronics of it.
                    1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

May or may not help...

Mine has stopped working twice, both times it has been the switch.
                      Soaking it in elec. contact cleaner fixed it.
                      Tony

Comment

• stonehengeheels
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jan 03, 2009

My '90 sunroof wire comes down the drivers side windshield pillar.
                        Steve
                        '87 GW (Totaled)
                        '90 GW (Under renovation)
                        '00 GC Laredo (Totaled)
                        '02 GC Laredo (Sold)
                        '67 Dodge Coronet Convertible 440/727/3.55

Comment

• westofeden
                          230 Tornado
                          • Nov 19, 2014

So I've been put back for a little while working on the sunroof. I'm getting kicked in the behind by this thing, as it is very confusing. I found the red power wire that runs around the top of the doors, through the "brains" and wiring harness to the middle of the headliner where the motor is. I had some trouble tracing it down the front pillar but believe I have found it. From what I see, it looks like it runs through the pillar, into the kickpanel and attaches to a single, free-hanging 15w fuse that has another red wire hanging off of it. This wire looks like it should be connected to something but I have no idea what/where it should connect to. There is one other separate wire like this and it is plugs into a brass input under the fan/htr fuse (I have a picture of this at the bottom). There doesnt really seem to be any place for me to connect the wire coming out of the 15w free-hanging fuse, however. I'm attaching pictures for reference. If anyone has a ASC-installed sunroof, pictures or an explanation on what your wiring looks like would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Here you can see the red wire run through the pillar into the kickpanel, coming out about an inch above the hood release (not sure if this is typical).

This is the hanging 15w fuse I am referring to, as well as the red wire that I can't seem to find a place to connect!

another picture of that fuse

Same type of wire that was connected to that brass plating under the fan/htr fuse.
                          1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• babywag
                            out of order
                            • Jun 08, 2005

Looks just like mine, w/ exception I added the blade fuse holder like yours vs. glass one it had.

Probe the fuse block, there are a couple spots w/o fuses for connecting things.
                            Find a connector that's hot w/ key on, and plug in the loose wire.
                            Or, for testing just jumper it to something.
                            Tony

Comment

• westofeden
                              230 Tornado
                              • Nov 19, 2014

Well I went ahead and tested the wires today. Found a hot connection in the fuse box. The switch works, I can hear the click in the circuit board. However, the 12v red wire has power only until the circuit board. From the board going to the motor, no power. So that narrows my problem down to some type of issue with the circuit board or connection to it. I'm unsure where to go from here, as finding a replacement board might not be possible! Here are pics of the board for reference in case this may help anyone else in the future. Anyone have any ideas?

1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                              X