X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Any electronics repair outfits(like tv/monitor) in your area?

Looks like a pretty basic board, they could probably test/repair it.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• westofeden
      230 Tornado
      • Nov 19, 2014

Originally posted by babywag
      Any electronics repair outfits(like tv/monitor) in your area?

Looks like a pretty basic board, they could probably test/repair it.
      Thats what I was thinking but all three that I called said it was out of their scope. Seems a little ridiculous considering it is a very simple board. The board looks very clean and undamaged- and I know looks can be deceiving with electronics- but I do believe it would be an easy task for someone who has professional experience.
      1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Well...looks like 2 relays would be 1st thing I would test.
        Close look @ all traces on back looking for cracks.
        Continuity between wires (end to end)
        Test switch too, mine was inop a few times and it was just the switch.

From my research which may not be correct.
        Appears the 88-90 Chrysler Lebaron got same sunroof.
        Probably several other cars in that timeframe as well?
        Tony

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

With a little effort a similar control module/switch could be made to work as well.
          Tony

Comment

• Headhoncho
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Oct 11, 2006

[QUOTE

Here you can see the red wire run through the pillar into the kickpanel, coming out about an inch above the hood release (not sure if this is typical).

Same type of wire that was connected to that brass plating under the fan/htr fuse.[/QUOTE]

This is the same as my '87. I have a glass tube fuse lead that goes into the square spot next to the IGN/LAMPS fuse. It has a special molded plug that the single red wire goes into.

JR
            [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
            1966 mustang fastback
            '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• Captain Obvious
              232 I6
              • Mar 18, 2010

Good luck. Mine doesn't work either, but I hope to be able to look at it shortly. I will be watching to see if your fix is the same as mine.
              84 FSJ - 148k on the original 360 and tranny. Fully loaded with sun roof.

Comment

• westofeden
                230 Tornado
                • Nov 19, 2014

Originally posted by Captain Obvious
                Good luck. Mine doesn't work either, but I hope to be able to look at it shortly. I will be watching to see if your fix is the same as mine.

Thanks for the advice everyone. And CO I will definitely keep this thread updated until I find a fix. Gonna try my luck cleaning the circuit board and if that doesn't work just walk into an electronic repair shop and tell em I wont leave until they look at it
                1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• westofeden
                  230 Tornado
                  • Nov 19, 2014

Update

Update: Cleaned the circuit board myself and plugged it in. Got an even "heavier" clicking sound. Figured "ok, this is it...somethings going to happen today". So I kept clicking at started to play with the wires running to the motor....viola, sunroof works! Slides back like its brand new. Original owner said the sunroof hasn't worked since the 90's....all it took was some major attention to detail.

Now my issue with the sunroof lies within the switch. The wires running from the back of the switch were clamped and hanging only by 1 thread. I decided to cut them today and reclamp them to make them sturdier. Just need to find something similar to the picture below first....anyone got any ideas

1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• twmattox
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 24, 2003

I am watching this thread. If possible, for any of those of you who have your headliner down, can you please post some pictures of your sunroof, how it attaches to the roof, seals, etc? I am getting ready to add a factory one to my GW and would like to make sure I do it the best way possible.

Thanks.
                    '83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
                    '88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
                    '05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
                    '15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

Comment

• SlowGear
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 12, 2013

If you are still interested, I plan to pull down the headliner in my 88 w/sunroof (actually works) in the next couple of weeks. Will be taking a bunch of pictures along the way.
                      Mike

88 Grand Wagoneer
                      Bone stock - except the missing stuff

Comment

• twmattox
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 24, 2003

YES!!!

I am taking it to a shop to have the sunroof installed. Not in a hurry; but, would love to hand him photos to help him locate the correct location and where the drain lines run.
                        '83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
                        '88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
                        '05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
                        '15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

Comment

Working...
                        X