International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 12-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Noob!

Wow....I go away for a little while and this thread comes alive again! It's been a few weeks now of driving with the 6BT and I have to say I just love it. It get's on average 20MPG pushing the Heep on 35's with the aerodynamics of a brick. This transmission does not have an overdrive or lockup convertor which would help the economy more for sure.The fuel rate has been played with on this engine bringing it up to around 190 HP we've estimated. I had some problems with the Dodge transmission cooler lines getting in the path of the front driveshaft so I've eliminated the cooler at the rad and am currently just running the engine coolant to oil cooler. This helps speed up transmission warmup to operating temperature. Another thing I've found is that the 6bt is a Cool running engine and will be experimenting with different thermostats to help get it up to temp. I am not running a fan as of now and have half the rad blocked off to try and get some heat. I'll get it figured out eventually. I have noticed a bit of settling in the front end and will be adding another leaf to help the springs out. The wieght of the Cummins has actually improved the feel of the stiff lift springs. I do have axles from a J20 widetrack waiting if needed but am confident the current Dana 44 will be ok for my application. I think the 4bt would be alot easier to swap in with regards to the heater box clearance. But The price of the Donor Dodge was what sold me on the 6bt. I was able to use the donor Dodge parts to save alot of money on this swap. It's all the small parts that add up quickly when doing a swap like this. Hope this helps some of you out.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Master Mechanic

WillysDriver,
I guess I am late to the party but I wanted to say looks like you've done a really nice job with the install. Maybe for my next project........hmm

One thing I wanted to mention is you might want to consider bypassing the stock ammeter since you said it spiked with the CTD alternator. Hate to see this beauty torched.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Master Mechanic

WillysDriver,
Any updates on progress?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 AM

BTT
Old 11-04-2008, 08:21 PM
327 Rambler

you can move that battery to the back of the rig and rebuild the heater core assembly without the diverter flap and it'll fit behind the turbo...

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...hlight=cummins

and you can use the sanden A/C compressor to put onboard air in your new contraption...
w/ '92 12v cummins,
NV4500
NP 205
e]
Dana 60 Front axle
Dana 70-HD Rear axle
Build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=90702
trailer build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?p=1314880&posted=1#post1314880
Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Gear Head

Looks like your engine is a lot further forward than that in the red Cherokee. I may be wrong. When I test fit the body on my shortened one ton dodge frame that was the first issue I saw. My engine is set back to the max to improve weight balance. What I was going to do with my heater box has been a big question .

Seamus

1980 Cherokee Laredo/ One ton cummins hybridn
Old 11-05-2008, 10:37 PM
327 Rambler

that was what happened with mine as well... it's still on the dodge frame... when i took apart the heater box the heater core was at an angle compared to the firewall... so i flattened it against the firewall and then used some sheet metal and rebuilt the curve from the blower plate to the firewall plate to keep it as close to the firewall as possible... then just plumbed the coolant lines to it again... i can't turn off the heat if the fan is on... but i've got windows for that... at least i'm not cold during the winter anymore...
w/ '92 12v cummins,
NV4500
NP 205
e]
Dana 60 Front axle
Dana 70-HD Rear axle
trailer build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?p=1314880&posted=1#post1314880
Old 11-05-2008, 10:47 PM
327 Rambler

bear in mind... there isn't much room in there... so if you do it keep it close... and keep all of the screws you take out... they work great for screwing on the new sheet metal... though if you did move your motor back you might have to do something a bit more creative still... like turn the core to line up with the blower and then just curve a bit of sheet metal around the turbo downpipe and to the firewall...
with the transmission a little bit further forward the way it is mine the transmission/transfer case shifters lined up really well with the access panels inside the jeep... the only thing i had to worry about was keeping the front of the jeep high enough off the dodge frame to allow for the axle hump in the rear of the frame... the reason i chose to put the intercooler so far out on the front of the jeep was to allow for extra fan space between the radiator and the intercooler... so at extreme slow speeds i can keep that engine cool... and i'm not trying to hijack the thread... but mine thread is kindof buried now...
w/ '92 12v cummins,
NV4500
NP 205
e]
Dana 60 Front axle
Dana 70-HD Rear axle

Last edited by gotmike : 11-05-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Gear Head

Mine is on the dodge frame as well, well I should say it will be the frame is shortened ready to go and now I am in the process of doing a little rust repair before I lift the body. I still have a ways to go , I am sure I have lots to figure out yet.

Seamus
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 PM
FSJ Maniac

Cool topic though

Last edited by COLOFIREMAN : 02-16-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Gear Head

No kidding digging up the dead ones!!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 PM
327 Rambler

soooo.... when you shorten your frame... how are you doing it?

i cut mine diagonally across the frame and removed a section then heavily fish-plated the seam... it was later suggested to me to make a notched cut that looks like a square fishmouth and remove/re-weld the section that way... so i was curious what method you were going to use... or were you taking a different route?
w/ '92 12v cummins,
NV4500
NP 205
e]
Dana 60 Front axle
Dana 70-HD Rear axle
Old 11-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Gear Head

I made a very long diagonal cut and removed 29 inches ( i think it has been a while) My best friend is a structural welder. He put the halves back together , after the test fit for the body he will fish plate the entire area. Then he plans to box the center section and install a custom crosmember. I need the crossmember to mount the tank and possibily hold the battery box.
Keith
Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Gear Head

when they shortened the frame of the c10 chev on Trucks they made a z cut straight down about 1/2 of the way then straight back for the lenth of the section to be removed and then down again to finish the cut. When it was all don they fish plated the entire area. They said it was the prefered way to shorten a chassis. But my buddy says it is over the top. What you did is fine!!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Gear Head

What year was your dodge frame?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:25 PM
327 Rambler

mine was a '92... i shortened it 22" if i remember right... i removed the section between two cross members, but didn't remove the cross members... so i have a cross member directly in front of and behind the welded area... and a 3/8th's plate for a fishplate... and i welded it all myself... it held up even when i shattered the pinion gear in the dana 70... so i'm fairly confident it'll hold up to whatever i put it through... the only bad thing about it all was the fuel tank issue... i didn't have a fuel tank that would fit so i had to re-route the fuel lines and stash the fuel tank in the back of the jeep since it was my daily driver... then i found a fuel tank in a friends scrap pile that fit perfectly between the frame rails in the rear and plumbed into the jeep filler neck... i cut a 6" hole in the top of the new tank and then cut out the neck for the fuel pump from the plastic dodge tank... then i bolted the plastic to the metal tank and put the dodge fuel pump into the new tank...
w/ '92 12v cummins,
NV4500
NP 205
e]
Dana 60 Front axle
Dana 70-HD Rear axle
Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Gear Head

What did you do about body mounts, use / move existing fab your own? Do you have photos?
I was considering having a local shop fab mine up using my cardboard templates.

If you have any advice on this I would love to hear it.
Keith

Last edited by seamus : 11-07-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:09 PM
327 Rambler

i fabricated my own... i used 3" channel and notched a 90 out and folded it over to make an L then i bolted it to the frame and welded it as well... i cut a hole in the short section at the proper distance away from the frame and used the dodge body mounts since they fit into a hole and have a puck under them... bolt them to the body first then use jacks under the body seam to lift/level the body compared to the frame and make sure it has the proper clearance all along the frame once it's set tack it into place then try and drill a hole through an already present hole in the frame and through the new body mount... bolt it in place and then stitch weld it one inch top and bottom of each side... this will allow for some flex without breaking and the bolt will hold it to the frame relieving some of the stress on the welds... on the back i just used an existing hole that lined up with a cross body brace and put a bolt straight through with a hockey puck in between...
w/ '92 12v cummins,
NV4500
NP 205
e]
Dana 60 Front axle
Dana 70-HD Rear axle
Old 11-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Dragin Az

Awesome job guys. I've been watching these threads for years now and am waiting for a diesel to fall out of the sky for me, LMAO.

Thank you for sharing....

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM

got any pics of the heater box swap im putting a 500 cadillac into a j-20 and it does fit between the heater box and brake booster but i wouldn't be able to get the valve covers off or if i tried to use tall valve covers tehy wouldn't fit at all?