International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-22-2019, 03:13 PM
360 AMC

What seal should I replace, leak between QT and TH400

I see fluid oozing down the TH400 adapter from my xfer case. When my xfer case was empty, the leak stopped. I added fluid to my xfer case and it started back up so it must be coming from my case.

On the back of the QTrac xfer case, there is the gasket that looks like the foot print of the adapter (it's there on mine), the seal that presses into the case (seals the transmission output shaft), and a large rubber seal (like an O-ring) that fits in there, too. (right?)

Should I expect to replace all 3 of them? I think I remember seeing a weep hole back there and maybe it's coming out of that?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 06-22-2019, 04:55 PM
All Makes Combined

When was the last time they were done? Do the entire case, but create a custom thicker "footprint" gasket out of 1/32" gasket sheet via stencil.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Quadratrac...it_p_1599.html

The Southern California FSJ forum
Old 06-22-2019, 04:59 PM
350 Buick

Its most likely the 2 seals for the input are leaking. there is a hole in between the 2 seals for that weep hole so when fluid goes past it goes out the weep hole on the ground. do not plug the hole like some people do it will leak out around the seal then. you will have to pull the case, replace the seals. the seals go in backwards to what you think, the inside seal will have the solid surface to the front of vehicle and push it in far enough to clear the weep hole, the other seal will have the solid surface facing rear of vehicle, just in enough so the weep hole is not covered. you can use or not use the gasket in between the adapter and transfer case. now you need to be very careful installing the transfer case so it goes in straight and level so it does not damage the seals( very important).
Old 06-22-2019, 06:08 PM
360 AMC

I swapped them a few months ago when my truck was torn apart but I am SURE I messed it up. I have a strong feeling I put them in backward (from what Tim said) AND I did have a tough time getting the case to line up when I was installing it so I probably boogered them good when I was man handling it to get it in. I was super careful and made sure it was seated correctly because another member (bkilby) cracked his case when he was torquing his down because it was not seated correctly.

I have another issue to fix that will require me to split the case so when I do, I will do exactly like you guys say (make my own thicker gasket, put the seals in correctly, install it correctly). When I put it back together, I will install the forward half of the case first and use home made guide pins so it goes on correctly, then install the chain/sprockets, put the halves back together, and finish it up.

Thanks guys. It will be at least a month before I touch it again, though. In the mean time, it's parked with the tray of shame under it, collecting a nice red puddle.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:04 PM
350 Buick

I never installed the gasket when I refurbished my QT. It didn't have one when I removed the QT from the TH400. Your seals are suspect.
Guide pins are crucial. Don't want to damage the seals with the shaft.

I was able to install the entire QT with the front drive line attached. All while laying underneath the 79. It required SHEER determination to get'r done. I also had to remove the fuel tank for QT installation clearance.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:14 PM
350 Buick

I also used a cheap transmission Jack from Harbor freight to lift and align the QT.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:45 AM
Señor Jackhead

The true 79 QuadraTracs did not use a paper seal between adapter and QT because they use a big O-ring seal that sets in a grove on the sealing surface of the QT. AFAIK, 79 was only year for this. This O-ring does not come with seal kits. You can source it though I have not had to find one yet myself.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s and a few Evil Twin mods, http://eviltwinfab.com and a few TT's Fabworks mods, http://www.ttsfabworks.com
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
Old 07-24-2019, 09:59 AM
360 AMC

Well, here's my damaged seal!

Exactly as wiley-moe and driftwood called it!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:56 AM
304 AMC

Hey!, welcome to the DO IT TWICE CLUB! It was kind of lonely in here until you showed up! WELCOME!

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 07-24-2019, 01:33 PM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Size Jeeper
Hey!, welcome to the DO IT TWICE CLUB! It was kind of lonely in here until you showed up! WELCOME!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I feel right at home in this club!
Old 07-24-2019, 04:37 PM
out of order

the 3 times a charm is another fun group...
Old 07-24-2019, 08:36 PM
350 Buick

I did it only one time. Does that make me a 1 percenter? : )
Old 07-24-2019, 08:43 PM
350 Buick

Following so I learn what NOT to do lol...
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 07-24-2019, 11:32 PM
360 AMC

Sigh.. Gonna pass some (probably) common knowledge then some whining.
A) there is not one input oil seal on the QT case, there are 2. You can see them here as item 15 next to the chain and upper sprocket.

B) The weep hole is between the 2 seals. If the seal closest to the sprocket leaks, it comes out the weep hole.

Here's my situation. I had a spare oil seal. One. the inner seal looked good so I just replaced the outer one, cleaned everything really well and set to put the case half back into my truck. I used my new homemade alingment pins and slid my case on. I had the paper gasket but not the later model O-Ring, though I believe that half of my case is from a 79. Case half slid on but won't seat flat. Then I started wondering if it was like this before and in addition to the torn up seal, maybe it was leaking becuase it was not seated all the way Hmm... Also, since it was leaking so bad, there was no way to determine where the leak was coming from (weep hole, or other). anywho, I have to find 2 more oil seals. I have to pull the case half off to figure out why it's not seating correctly anyway, might as well replace both seals. I hear entry to the Third Time's a charm club can be brutal...

Here you can see the upper alignment pin I made

I tried to get a pic of it not seating correctly hear but it's not really a good picture.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:14 PM
360 AMC

OK so in the last 2 days my TH400 output started leaking. ALOT. The cross member has a nice long puddle across it and it is dripping onto the floor. I didn't think ATF went this far back in the TH400. Also, I can reach up and rotate the adapter bearing outer race around in the adapter. Is that normal? It has a clip that keeps it from sliding into the adapter if I push on it but I can pull the whole bearing assembly out toward the rear of the truck easily. Is that normal? Should I pull the bearing out and put a little RTV around the outside and seal the bearing to the adapter?

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 07-27-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:41 AM
350 Buick

That bearing gets its lube from the transmission side, so yes that is normal. the bearing slides in with very little pressure but should not spin in the adapter. sounds like your adapter could be worn out a little or the bearing was starting to seize a little causing the bearing to spin the outside? I would swap out the adapter to be 100% sure.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:42 PM
350 Buick

Hey Mark I might have two seals sitting here.
Also I have a bunch of TH400s, and if you need the adapter probably could steal one off of one of them for you too.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:32 PM
360 AMC

Thanks, Dusty. I ordered a pair of seals from amazon and they got here last night. I jacked up the back of my Cherokee into the sky and pulled that bearing out and inspected it. Its smooth and clean and the outer race looked normal (no scoring/galling) and the inside of the adapter was smooth and showed no signs of wear or damage either. I am sure the adapter IS worn but I am not in the mood to pull the adapter off. This trans and case will hopefully live in my truck for a yearish, then will turn into a 4speed auto.

Friday night I drank a giant Vietnamese coffee at like 7pm. If you have not had that, that equals no sleep for the next 12 hours. I spent 3 hours and 4 cans of break cleaner cleaning the inside of my case. I completely disassembled it, cleaned everything, and set it aside waiting for my seals. Yesterday my seals showed up so I installed everything and added fluid. All seals that hold fluid when the case is parked have held overnight. (Rear output used to leak too, and does not anymore).

Today I will adjust my rockers again (unrelated) and take it for a spin, hoping nothing comes out from between the case and trans.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:24 AM
360 AMC

OK, have about 45 miles on it so far. All seals seem to be holding so far. I see ATF dripping out the Speedo cable output which tells me I over filled it. I think (now that I am thinking about it) that I filled it when the rear end was jacked way up.

I filled the case, then I filled the reduction unit. That's correct, right?
Old 07-29-2019, 03:02 PM
350 Buick

That's good news!