• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gophman
    232 I6
    • Mar 05, 2015

Oil pump to gears clearance

A bit of background, my '73 360 j4500 had extremely low hot idle oil pressure when I first got it. I replaced the oil pump gears with a Melling kit and and dressed the filter adapter as it was scored, it still had only approx 5 psi hot idle with 20/50 oil (cheap mechanical gauge) I checked crank bearing clearances and all came in within spec apart from one big end that was about 1/2 thou out. I have pulled the timing cover off as motor is out at the moment and plastigaged the gear to adapter clearance and I have 4 thou.
    I know you are shooting for 1.5-2 thou ideally but how much of a difference in pressure is around 2 thou less clearance going to net me? I'm pulling the cam tomorrow to check condition of the cam bearings.
  • gophman
    232 I6
    • Mar 05, 2015

I think I found the issue, front cam bearing delaminated and the rest worn.

Comment

• Crankyolman
      350 Buick
      • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by gophman
      I think I found the issue, front cam bearing delaminated and the rest worn.
      That's what drove me to rebuild my engine
      '72 J4500

Comment

• jeepman1
        258 I6
        • Jul 22, 2015

Cam bearings

Didn't change cam or rod bearings, I have great oil pressure for a while, then its gets hot (normal) and she goes way down.. I think I'll try a man. gauge and see what it really has.
        : 98 9er
        '83 Honcho j10
        '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
        '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

Working...
        X