International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

View Poll Results: Which manufacturers Diesel should I go with?? See the thread below before answering
Ford Diesel Engine 4 3.54%
GM Diesel Engine 10 8.85%
Dodge/Cummins Diesel 85 75.22%
Other/Foreign 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 AM
350 Buick

Going Diesel Need Opinions

Greetings everyone I have decided to go diesel in my rig. (not the existing rig but I will purchase a new rig and have been looking.) Anyway, I have a 4l80E transmission sitting in storage ready to back the diesel. I am not really well versed on diesels and wanted to know out of the diesels out there what ones are known to be most reliable/best that everyone thinks would be great to swap in that has all the things one would want in a diesel, (Reliability, parts availability, power, torque, fuel mileage, etc etc.) Please everyone chime in if you have any info/data. Please keep the following in mind though. (Let me know what the best diesel, the diesel of all diesels is!!)

1. It has to be something that I can get my hands on and connect to a 4l80e trans. (I already found a company that makes adapters to connect the dodge diesel to a 4l80e and I think there is one out there for ford diesels) if you pick other please list the engine, (Note if I cannot find an adapter or Trick err.... I mean get an engineer either on the board or nearby to fabricate and adapter for me then other is a no go)

2. Something realistic. I know everyone wants to take an engine from a mack truck or peterbilt or an engine that was designed in a lab like frankenstein and only five of them exist in the world, or some other thing and those are great dreams but I want something that can realistically fit in the engine bay (and fit well) not an engine where I have to do so much trickery and such to get it in that I only have .00000125 of an inch of space on each side of it and I have to lube the hood every time I open it to get it to close around the engine. I also want one that is available that I can get my hands on pretty easily (Easy for a diesel that is)

3. Needs to be able to operate independently of the trans. (Some engines and computers wont function if the full system engine and trans are not together. I dont know about diesels but if the engine cannot do that then leave it out.

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel

Last edited by Wagoneerlover : 07-31-2009 at 12:21 AM.