• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KiwiWagoneer
    232 I6
    • Jul 23, 2016

Bumper restoration.

Hi there,
    I'm keen get my 1990 GW bumpers looking as good as possible. There are a few decent scrapes on them (Previous owner, promise) - What's the best process for repairing this? It's not going to simply buff out, is it something that can be welded, then filed back and polished up? If so, what's the correct process / metal types etc. Your advice and experience is appreciated.
    Cheers,
    J.
  • 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

the chances of welding on aluminum and ever getting it to not show are slim, you'll have color variations even if it is otherwise perfect.

The only way I'd know of to restore an aluminum bumper to perfection would be to fix all the damage and then re-anodize it. not cheap but it would be as new or better.

Comment

• Crist Clapper
      I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
      • Apr 28, 2008

Something to ponder: Often local powder-coating shops with blast, take-out the dings, then spray with a chrome-finished followed by a clear-coat. I believe this is the least expensive way to achieve a "Prissy" result.
      1990 Grand Wagoneer:
      Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
      Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)

Comment

• deckside
        258 I6
        • May 02, 2015

I removed my anodizing with oven cleaner. Couldn't find anybody in my locale to re-anodized mine. I tried the "chrome" powder coat and clear but did not have Crist Clapper results (maybe a better powder coating place could have done it). Took it to a polisher and they look terrific but I'm thinking of pulling them to powder coat clear after a good polish.
        1980 Wagoneer Limited "Prissyish" Sold
        1972 Wagoneer Butter Scotch Gold restoring

Comment

• 440sixpack
          327 Rambler
          • Jul 21, 2016

The outfit that did my razor grill did a great job, they could do a bumper properly and it would look as good as new if you want to spend a few bucks.

Comment

• deckside
            258 I6
            • May 02, 2015

Originally posted by 440sixpack
            The outfit that did my razor grill did a great job, they could do a bumper properly and it would look as good as new if you want to spend a few bucks.
            Links by chance? Would like to check them out.
            1980 Wagoneer Limited "Prissyish" Sold
            1972 Wagoneer Butter Scotch Gold restoring

Comment

• 440sixpack
              327 Rambler
              • Jul 21, 2016

Their name is Shine On Me Trim in California.

I've had them do several projects for me and Norm is great to deal with and they do a great job. it's not cheap but compared to other shops their prices are very competitive.

Comment

Working...
              X