• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheCitrusMaster
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 23, 2019

Looking for a Jeep Kaiser/Gladiator Pickup

Hey guys, my name is Tyler, and I am looking for a Jeep Gladiator Pickup (or M715 or another similar pickup of the era).

I absolutely LOVE the Rhino grill that was used on these pickups between 62-71, it has an amazingly unique look. On top of that, these pickups have an overall rugged appearance and sturdy 4x4 systems. These jeeps are surprisingly not that expensive either, which makes them perfect for a project truck that I can work on in my spare time.

I have a full garage that I can dedicate to this project, as well as most if not all the necessary tools at my disposal. I also have a decent amount of money I am able to put towards this project, although I would much rather put more time into it than money. I have time to work on this project, although some weeks I definitely have more time than others. I am a very patient individual, and I would be in no rush to get this project finished/driving, and I would rather take my time and make this near perfect than slap things together and get on the road.

I am currently looking for a Jeep gladiator/Kaiser Jeep. I would also settle for the M715 (military version). There is actually a M715 for sale, about 45 minutes away from me, and I am going to take a look at it tomorrow. It seems to be mostly complete, although the drive train in taken apart, and the engine looks like it has recently been rebuilt (it is the tornado I6).

I have many, many, many questions for those of you out there with knowledge on these Jeeps. I am not sure if this introduction thread is the correct place to be posting these questions, so I will see if I can start a new thread with these questions.

Many of these questions relate to what I should watch out for when purchasing one of these Jeeps, as well as where to source parts (these jeeps being so old I can imagine its not easy). I would really like to know exactly what I am jumping into before I buy one of these. I am a big fan of doing my research before I ever spend any money/commit to something.

If there is anyone out there who reads this and has knowledge of these Jeeps and would like to share their insight, as well as answer some questions, please DM me!

This has been Tyler!
  • chubbinius
    258 I6
    • Oct 31, 2018

Welcome to the forums. There is ton of great information and folks on here.

Good luck on your search for a Gladiator or M715! Both are awesome.
    1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
    -Dauntless 350 V8
    -D27 front/D44 rear
    2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

sounds like you got the right attitude
      and a good plan.

I don't have much knowledge
      but others here do

welcome
      and good luck on your project

dave in NC
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Awesome! Glad you are here! We all love answering questions. I do not have, nor have I had a Gladiator but what I see the Gladiator folks struggle with the most are tailgates. MAKE SURE whatever you buy has a tailgate and preferably a serviceable one. I have seen nice tailgate sell for a lot of money. I have seen crappy tailgates sell for a lot of money.

Good luck Tyler! Looking forward to seeing you around on here!
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• jeepdan
          232 I6
          • Jan 18, 2011

Cool factor of a faithfully restored M715 is high, but driving one in stock form, it is slow and under powered.
          Here are a few pictures mine.

2020 Gladiator Overland Gator Color (daily driver)
          91 Grand Wagoneer (in storage)
          67 Kaiser M715 (frame off restoration)
          64 US Army CJ3B (frame off restoration)
          66 M416 trailer (original "nice" condition)
          Two unrestored 56 Willys trucks (one a pickup, one a stake bed)

Comment

• ddversatile
            232 I6
            • Oct 08, 2017

All the Kaiser jeeps and AMC--(70' and on) trucks pre-1973 were the weird years, after 1973 much more mainstream (GM and Ford) parts were used in addition to the AMC engines.

My 1968 had no fuse box, and as any 50 year old vehicle its wiring has been tampered and many things were constant hot without fuses, waiting to burn.

I strongly recommend to buy a new harness for your Gladiator with a fuse box, after that you will be able to sleep soundly at night without wondering if its burning!

I did and it took awhile to figure out jeeps connectors unique to the earlier trucks and Ill gladly send you my schematics of the factory setup in to help along with the online available wiring schematics.

Compared the the GM style connectors featured on later model j-trucks that are well documented and easy to find help for the earlier trucks leave you more in the dark.

Engines you can find for Gladiators (1963-1970) are:

Tornado 230 Overhead Cam 6, I heard its a good engine that loves to leak oil, parts are becoming slowly more available. ( I beleive 1963-1966 trucks)

AMC 232 I6, No experience on this engine but given its AMC roots id say the parts are somewhat available (1965?1966-70 trucks)

AMC 327 V-8, very tough and torquey engine, parts are easily found however costly compared to a 360 or 401. (1965-1968.5 Trucks)

Buick 350 V-8, easy to find parts and decent engine all around. (1968.5-1970 trucks)

Transmissions and Transfer-cases are very good choices like the TH400 auto and T18 and T98 Manuals equipped with Dana 20 transfer cases most of the time after 65'.

And yes, tailgates are VERY Hard to find :P
            1968 Jeep Gladiator J-3000 327 Vigilante V8, T-18 transmission, Dana 20 Transfer Case (Twin Stick), Dana 44 full float in the front and semi float 53 in the rear. 4.09 axles
            1972 GMC 1500 basket-case (300$ buy )

Comment

Working...
            X