Adding additional leafs for more height. Can i add two ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • candymonster212
    Banned
    • Jun 25, 2020

Adding additional leafs for more height. Can i add two ?

Question. I have a 90 Grand Wagoneer. 4 or so years ago i replaced all the leaf springs and shocks. I bought 97-402 for the front. Which are 1455lbs 7 pack springs made in USA from stanley springs the standard oem was 7 pack 1300lbs or so 97-400 or believe . And the rear i got 97-485s which are oem 1150lbs 4/1 springs also made in usa from stanly springs.

I just wanted my wagoneer stock classic looking ect.. but now i want to go offroading with it. Nothing too crazy but im tired of the stock look. I want 31-10.5. M/T tires on it. And i want to lift the Jeep.

I really dont want to spend 1000-1400$ for these lift kits that BJs sells which are overpriced in my opinion. I paid 800$ for american made springs all a lift kit is is a higher ar hed spring.. So them charging a 600$ premium is outa the question.

So im looking at other options. Rustys has a 2 inch ad a leaf kit. 4 long springs. 1 for each side of course. And i think i wanna go that route. I dont wanna go 4-6 inchs anyway and have to replace brake lines. And all the other horde of stuff.

Im fairly confident 31s will fit with 2 inch AAL specially with my new springs vs adding them to 30-40 year old saggy springs.

Anyway. My queestion is this. I found a 79 cherokee golden eagle in the jy the springs are a little crusty but they arent sagging. It still has that factory 1-2 inch lift i can tell from the gap on the wheel wells with the 31 inch tires on it.

Can i actually cut the main leaf on these and ad them to my exisiting leaf springs AND ad the AAl from rustys. Im curious if this would maybe give me 2-3 inchs of ride height vs 1.5-2 ?

Thanks in advance. As for rougher ride. I dont mind a rougher ride.. i already have coil over shocks 500lbs from gabriel so im used to the rough ride. Or would having 9 springs in front and 6/1 in the rear be insaine ? Or would this damage my leaf springs ?
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

So your trying to hack together a spring set to give you a 2 inch lift? there is a reason that some leaf springs cost that much, quality and getting it right in the first place, I spent a lot more on m leaf spring sets from national and deaver and they were well worth it. You can try and piece it together and hope you get it right but that will take a lot of time and effort and will ride like crap and not work off road or save yourself time and money and order a good set up.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Ive used select leafs from earlier Ford Explorer rear spring packs. I would use the main leafs [cut off the bushing eyes] and then choose the other leafs to fit in-between the original leafs. You may get 1-2" without adding much stiffness.

Comment

• candymonster212
        Banned
        • Jun 25, 2020

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
        So your trying to hack together a spring set to give you a 2 inch lift? there is a reason that some leaf springs cost that much, quality and getting it right in the first place, I spent a lot more on m leaf spring sets from national and deaver and they were well worth it. You can try and piece it together and hope you get it right but that will take a lot of time and effort and will ride like crap and not work off road or save yourself time and money and order a good set up.

I guess bleepin Jeep and millions of others who make bastard packs have no idea what their doing right the lift dont work and dont work offroading according to you. They just do it to do it right ? Get outa my thread with your negativity. I wanna try something different. The arch on the cherokee springs are higher then mine. And so is the aal what makes you think it wont work ?

Your negativity really irks me. I'm going to get some ice cream and cuddle up on the couch and watch some chick flicks. Maybe call the boys, see if they want to rub lotion on each others backs again.

It isnt much effort to cut off the eyes u bolts and center pin to remove a spring. Would take me an hour or two at the most in the yard. And cost me 25$. Rusty long AAL is 140$ i can buy rustys and put it on. Check the lift and add a spring from the yard on one side to see if lift changes or not. Why are you such a negative angry person

I got an idea. You fish out 1400$ for me and ill go grab Bjs 4 inch lift ? Ill give you my paypal just pm me
        Last edited by Strode; 07-08-2020, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Cherokee Outlaw
          • Jan 10, 2006

The Cherokee springs are probably sagged out, too. The big gap you see is because of the fender flares. I've had four wide track Cherokees and a '79 Wagoneer. All five of them had the exact same springs under them. No factory lift as people on the internet have thought in the past. It's an optical illusion due to the factory 31" tires and larger fenders on the Wide Track Cherokees.
          In my experience, to fit 31's on a narrow track Wagoneer and not rub the fenders off-road you'll need more than 2in of lift. Also, add-a-leafs ride very rough and don't flex well. The 4in BJ's kits are VERY nice. They ride incredibly well and are made by Deaver Spring in Southern California. The Rusty's 4in kits are pretty good, too.

Edit: your screen name didn't used to be candymancan, did it?
          Last edited by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81; 06-29-2020, 05:37 PM.
          -Jonny B.
          1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
          7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
          AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
          NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
          F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
          R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
          1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
          1979 Wagoneer - Sold
          1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by candymonster212
            I guess bleepin Jeep and millions of others who make bastard packs have no idea what their doing right the lift dont work and dont work offroading according to you. They just do it to do it right ? Get outa my thread with your negativity. I wanna try something different. The arch on the cherokee springs are higher then mine. And so is the aal what makes you think it wont work ?

Your negativity really irks me

It isnt much effort to cut off the eyes u bolts and center pin to remove a spring. Would take me an hour or two at the most in the yard. And cost me 25$. Rusty long AAL is 140$ i can buy rustys and put it on. Check the lift and add a spring from the yard on one side to see if lift changes or not. Why are you such a negative angry person

I got an idea. You fish out 1400$ for me and ill go grab Bjs 4 inch lift ? Ill give you my paypal just pm me
            Your irked? What was negative in my response? You asked and I gave a knowledgeable, experienced reply to help you save time and money, if that irks you, you have bigger problems. You are right, people hack together leaf packs all the time, but a properly engineered set will be a lot better.

Comment

• J20 project
              304 AMC
              • Dec 27, 2000

Wow

Interesting Wiley...People ask " would this work?" And you say nah...not so much, and the world ends.

I starting playing with spring packs on my 77 Chero back in 79. I got it lifted....speed bumps hurt my teeth,
              I like tall girls and they didn't like having their heads hit the roof.

I finally said screw it and spent $350 I think for some custom 4 in springs. 1977, likely similar in cost to today.

Everyone gets to do what they want, their rig, they will have their own experiences.

All good I guess.

J20
              BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
              775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                350 Buick
                • Feb 15, 2010

I never said not so much or anything like it but people will keep banging away at it and never get the results they are looking for or expect, some get lucky and get close. I stand by what I said, sure you build a house with whatever you find on the side of the road or washes up on the beach and it will work, sort of, or buy the proper materials and build a house that will stand up to storms and last, one is free the other will cost you some money but will be better.

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by candymonster212

Your negativity really irks me

Play nice candyman...
                  You were previously banned due to your attitude.
                  People have differing opinions and experience, you can take the advice or not.
                  No need to argue or start in with the attitude and name calling.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

Do much drama and I forgot the popcorn.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Cliff
                      350 Buick
                      • Mar 30, 2002

I have always enjoyed this forum because everyone is so helpful. I have probably asked a dumb question at one time but received great replies without any attitude. And I certainly have never criticized a response! Thanks y'all for a great forum.
                      Cliff Danley
                      1977 Cherokee S

Comment

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                        Doh, much drama and I forgot the popcorn.
                        Is that what you meant to say?
                        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                        X