X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4x4fEvEr
    350 Buick
    • May 25, 2005

somebody ask about that kit. i just tried to register a username and everytime they email me my password i cant see it!?
    77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
      350 Buick
      • May 25, 2005

ok little confused on my NP435. ive been reading there is a difference in shaft length between a 435 that was bolted up to a 205 or a 208, if true what do i need to do since my NP435 came from in front of a 208. i have the spacer or sleeve or whatever you call it from in between the tranny and t-case from the 208 setup. is that the one to use for the 203 or do i need to use the one from a 205 setup or what?

another question. the np435 will sit closer into the dash since it doesnt require the spacer that went in front of my t-18?

Comment

• Elliott
        Cowboy Up
        • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr
        ok little confused on my NP435. ive been reading there is a difference in shaft length between a 435 that was bolted up to a 205 or a 208, if true what do i need to do since my NP435 came from in front of a 208. i have the spacer or sleeve or whatever you call it from in between the tranny and t-case from the 208 setup. is that the one to use for the 203 or do i need to use the one from a 205 setup or what?

another question. the np435 will sit closer into the dash since it doesnt require the spacer that went in front of my t-18?
        I'm not sure where you found the output shafts are different lengths, not to my knowledge (NTMK?) On the SM465, which I can confirm, it used different length adaptors to the case and would suspect if there is a difference with the Ford that it is also in the adaptor length. I think it probably has to do with the variances between the 208/205 inputs and how the tranny tailshaft needs to engage. The 208 input is probably located further foward in the transfer case requiring a shorter adaptor.

What is the measurement of your 208 adaptor to compare with?

The NP435 205 adaptor is 8 5/8" leaving 3/4 of 435 tailshaft stickout (edit, both of mine are the same). I'm not sure if the 208 adaptor is any different... if so I'd bet you want the 205 adaptor as the 203 is more similar to the 205 at the front of the case then the 208.
        It will put the tranny closer to the firewall, but the shifter is already bent different to clear a Ford dash. Can't tell you if it's knuckle basher yet, but you can always heat and bend it back a lil if you need to.

Edit, Both the Ford and GM pattern cases locate the input gear in the same location respective to the back of NP435 adaptor I have. The NP435 tailshaft has 2.5"s of spline length and sticks out ~7/8" past the end of the 8 5/8" adaptor. The 31 spline input sticks out of the case 1 1/4" and has internal spline length of 3". The total spline engagement with this set up is ~2 1/8" with the gasket in there.
        Last edited by Elliott; 11-26-2006, 09:28 AM.
        *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
        ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
          350 Buick
          • May 25, 2005

thats good info elliot thanks. going to pick up my 203 today!

Comment

• Elliott
            Cowboy Up
            • Jun 22, 2002

LMK what you measure for you NP435 tailshaft and adaptor.
            My tailshaft is ~9 1/2" overall.
            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
              350 Buick
              • May 25, 2005

9.5 seems to be it. got my 203. those things are huge. so 435 to my collar from the 208 setup into my 203 that i just got then get my NWF adaptor kit to bolt on my 205. excellent

Comment

• Elliott
                Cowboy Up
                • Jun 22, 2002

Ah, but you are going to miss all the fun of stripping/rebuilding the range box to redrill the front of the case

If you haven't seen it, NW Fab has a manual on the basic process you will need to follow at http://www.northwestfab.com/203-205adaptorinstall.html

Comment

this is a good thread and needs a sticky i think. also, if anyone has a 32 spline 203 floating around for cheap let me know. me wanty.
                  Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                  I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                  Originally posted by johnny019
                  I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• elbastardo
                    327 Rambler
                    • Oct 04, 2005

You can get any 203, and buy the 32 spline seperate.

Comment

yeah i could but i'm not pressed for it right now. plus it eliminates the hassle of buying more parts.

I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                      I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• Brad W.
                        360 AMC
                        • Jan 09, 2003

I have some sort of np203 gearbox floating around here, i'll try to dig it out from under the bench and check it out. If its a 32 spline, i'll let you know Nick, I have no use for it at this time. I'll probably go Klune if I decide I need more gear.
                        Brad W.
                        1979 wag "Nightmare"
                        **project shelved indefinetly**

m715 ex-firetruck
                        **project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
                        24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
                        4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
                        Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                          350 Buick
                          • May 25, 2005

crossmembers

moving forward on this doubler. what would everybody do for the crossmember to support the 203 and 205? could u reuse the 203 or 205 doubler, drill and cut it to mount to the frame and go on with life or whip out some round or square tubing and fab one up? do you need two crossmembers one for each tcase?

Comment

• Elliott
                            Cowboy Up
                            • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr
                            moving forward on this doubler. what would everybody do for the crossmember to support the 203 and 205? could u reuse the 203 or 205 doubler, drill and cut it to mount to the frame and go on with life or whip out some round or square tubing and fab one up? do you need two crossmembers one for each tcase?
                            I think there is a good crossmember thread on here to search up in this part of the forum, can't remember if it covered doublers or not. I was gonna try and just fit two OEM crossmembers... but have no idea if that'll work. Maybe you can skip the crossmember under the tranny to 203 and just move it to locate under the adaptor foot between the range box and 205.

Brad, if the adaptor is still bolted to the front of that GM203 and it only has 4 bolt holes for the transmission it will be 27 spline, if there are 6 bolt holes for the tranny it's gonna be the 32 spline.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad W.
                              I have some sort of np203 gearbox floating around here, i'll try to dig it out from under the bench and check it out. If its a 32 spline, i'll let you know Nick, I have no use for it at this time. I'll probably go Klune if I decide I need more gear.
                              that would be the tits if it was. let me know.

Comment

• oldyellowwagoneer
                                350 Buick
                                • Jun 27, 2001

On the subject of 205's who has the bearing od and id of the input bearings on a big bearing 205 case and on a small bearing 205 case?
                                Dennis
                                ?Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your *** off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.? Henry Rollins

Comment

Working...
                                X