• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Blue
    258 I6
    • Oct 15, 2002

EGR?

I pulled off the EGR valve today and discovered that the diaphram has a bunch of holes in it and doesnt do anything. I think thats whats happening, at least. My question is what does the EGR do and will it effect performance if it doesn't work?
    78 Cherokee, SBC 350, th-350, np203/d300, 4-inch Rusty's lift, TT's fabworks shackle flip kit, spring over, D60 rear (4.10's, welded), Chevy D44 front (4.10's), hi-steer, 38.5" swamper sx's.
  • BostonWagoneer
    258 I6
    • Feb 26, 2001

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is part of the emissions system. If you remove the EGR or it isn't working properly, it can make your engine run poorly. If you remove it and that is legal in your state, you can put a block-off plate over the hole in the manifold so that the engine won't pull in more air that way.
    82 Wagoneer Brougham 360.176.208.44x2<br />63 Honda CB77 Superhawk 305 for sale!

Comment

• Big Blue
      258 I6
      • Oct 15, 2002

Thanks BostonWrangler.
      78 Cherokee, SBC 350, th-350, np203/d300, 4-inch Rusty's lift, TT's fabworks shackle flip kit, spring over, D60 rear (4.10's, welded), Chevy D44 front (4.10's), hi-steer, 38.5" swamper sx's.

Comment

• kreb
        350 Buick
        • Dec 03, 2001

i think you can benefit from keeping the egr. the system was set up to run that way, if you take it off you need to make sure to do it correctly. the engine temps will rise a bit if you take it off and you will run leaner if you do as well.

benjamin
        Kreboneer
        1991 Grand Wagoneer
        360/ 2150
        4" Rusty's lift 32x11.5 BFG KM, 1.5" block rear MSD/TFI, Pioneer sound
        '85 grill, '78 WT wheels
        houston, tx
        [email protected]
        "if you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it twice." - stolen from another board member who's name i can't recall

Comment

• carrotman
          327 Rambler
          • Oct 21, 2003

When the manufacturers first put EGR on vehicles in the early 70's they ran crappy. Everybody was plugging them. They are not supposed to run at idle, but many carboned up and stayed open all the time. I won't say if they are good or bad, but the tech manual says to test it by manually pushing on the diaphram. If the idle immediately drops by 200 RPM, it's working (meaning it's not working at idle). My 76 EGR doesn't work and it passes Colorado emissions and is as clean as many newer vehicles.
          76 Chief, T18, 3.54, HEI, Carter AFB.

Comment

I unhooked the vacuum line to the EGR valve on my '90 S-10 because I thought that was a problem I had at one point. My gas milage dropped by about 4mpg. Just something to think about. I'm sure you can get a working valve from someone here or a junkyard for not a whole lot.

Anthony
            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Nobby
              258 I6
              • Jul 29, 2002

Just a quick point, the EGR is back pressure sensing, so that if you try to bench test by placing a vacumm on it it, nothing will happen you might even hear air leakage leading you to believe that the diaphagm is shot.

There is a little valve on the end of the pintle fed by a hole drilled in the pintle, which when a a certain exhaust pressure is applied to will close the valve making the diaphragm operate under vacuum.

I have successfully tested mine by placing the pintle end in my mouth and blowing fairly hard whilst placing a vacuum on the diaphragm.
              87 Stock V8 GW<br />49 Austin A40 Devon Pickup<br />84 Saab 900 Turbo<br />72 Citroen DS21 Station Wagon

Comment

• ds
                230 Tornado
                • Sep 14, 2003

could you guy's read this post
                maybe stuck egr issue??
                and tell me if this sounds like a sticking egr valve
                thanks

Comment

Working...
                X