• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aboubek
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 31, 2014

Roof rack placement

Hi,
    I've bought an original roof rack for our 78 Cherokee here at the forum, and now am just before installing it.

However, there is something I feel need to make clear - should there be any reinforcements for the roof rack from the inside of the roof? Because while looking to the pretty simple design of the roof, I think that attaching the rack there without additional support would lead to almost impossibility of carrying something up there....

What do you think? Do you have any supporting elements there? How heavy items do you carry on the roof rack?

1978 Cherokee Chief
    1960 Buick LeSabre
    1989 UAZ 452A
  • stonehengeheels
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 03, 2009

I went to a P&P and bought a second headliner support and installed it with some padding to support the roof. There is a second set of mounts to use inside. No more sag. I guess you could upgrade the rubber grommets to stainless with rubber washers.
    Steve
    '87 GW (Totaled)
    '90 GW (Under renovation)
    '00 GC Laredo (Totaled)
    '02 GC Laredo (Sold)
    '67 Dodge Coronet Convertible 440/727/3.55

Comment

• 8man
      304 AMC
      • Jan 04, 2011

I bought some structural mounts from this forum, go to the wanted section and post up there too.
      79 Cherokee S (current project)
      82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• mdill
        Gone. Not Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2000

In the original form there was no additional support for a roof rack.
        The rack just bolted on using POP brand 1/4S well nuts in 1/2" holes in the
        roof.
        They were not made to carry heavy loads, the load went on the roof, (not real well supported either) the rack gave you tie down spots.
        -----------------------------------------
        Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
        1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
        1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
        1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
        1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
        And the other stuff that gets driven
        ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Aboubek
          230 Tornado
          • Jan 31, 2014

Thanks for suggestions!
          Could anyone, please, post pictures of the additional support/mounts, so I can better imagine the look of the thing?
          1978 Cherokee Chief
          1960 Buick LeSabre
          1989 UAZ 452A

Comment

• Tatsadasayago
            350 Buick
            • May 15, 2009

Support-wise, there are three roof bows that cross from side to side. The roof rack well plugs can be seen at the ends of and just above the front bow in the photo above. Other than the roof mounted metal slats, that's it on a stock FSJ.
            In the past, I've added three roof slats in between the existing ones to help carry loads better.
            When you realize the rack is held to the body by expanded rubber plugs...you might avoid tightening straps or ropes too much.
            Jim
            KY7DX/6
            76 401 Wagoneer *The Gag-O-Neer*
            77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

honestly, do yourself a favor and do not install the roof rack, unless you want to create more pathways for water to create rust spots

This is the cargo section of the headliner.

and the view of the roof

Edit: the major damage was due to the metal slider screw holes, the slider / protector has a thin rubber padding that has dried up.

Those OEM racks are good for light load.
              Last edited by letank; 12-27-2014, 09:38 AM.
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• jamesdart
                258 I6
                • Jan 05, 2013

I agree, just get some thule or Yakima gutter mounts and cross bars.
                1978 wagoneer, jasper 360 performer intake holley 600,700r4, twinstick dana 300, dana 44s with 4.10s and Yukon zip locker, York oba, 4" rusty's spring lift, 33x10.50 km2, ramsey ford front bumper with worm drive ramsey winch, 4" pipe air tank rear bumper with spare tire swing out.

Comment

• Aboubek
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jan 31, 2014

Hmm, well the leitmotif, coming through the whole reconstruction is restoring the car into the factory shape (with a little exceptions, e.g. the supports ) and building a vintage car out of it; so the other than factory rack is not really an option at the moment.
                  Despite the whole process of getting the rack to Europe doesn't sounds so reasonable as before, it's here, so I want to do maybe something extra for putting it on, rather than leaving it in the garage forever.

So, how do you think the isolation of the thing should look like in order to avoid the water leaks?
                  1978 Cherokee Chief
                  1960 Buick LeSabre
                  1989 UAZ 452A

Comment

• WHSII
                    Hack-Priss
                    • Feb 06, 2010

Originally posted by Aboubek
                    Hmm, well the leitmotif, coming through the whole reconstruction is restoring the car into the factory shape (with a little exceptions, e.g. the supports ) and building a vintage car out of it; so the other than factory rack is not really an option at the moment.
                    Despite the whole process of getting the rack to Europe doesn't sounds so reasonable as before, it's here, so I want to do maybe something extra for putting it on, rather than leaving it in the garage forever.

So, how do you think the isolation of the thing should look like in order to avoid the water leaks?
                    Hello Aboubek,

Yes most of our Wagoneers leak at the roof rack attachments. Most are 25 years old or older and the rubber attachments are cracked. With new rubber expansion nuts, the system can be water tight. I replaced mine last year, will probably do it again in ten years... five or six were cracked.

Do not over tighten the rubber expansion nuts! Most newer vehichles with roof racks use the same attachment method.

The metal strips on the roof are held down with #6 or 7 sheet metal screws. There is a soft plastic grommet that seals them when compressed. I could not find any off the shelf replacement. I was getting water stains from these screws, as well as from the rubber expansion nuts.

I fly RC airplanes, and had some silicone fuel tubing laying around. I cut 1/2" sections of the medium size that slid tightly onto the screws, and installed them. The silicone mushrooms out and makes a great seal when the screw is tightened. Try to cut the ends at 90 degrees.

Any Hobby Shop that deals with RC should have three or four sizes of the tubing in stock. should be a dollar or so per foot. Plenty for sealing up all the screws.
                    WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                    Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

Working...
                    X