• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brynjminjones
    258 I6
    • Jun 11, 2017

Oil filter warning/question

I've been having some trouble with dry startups in my '91 GW for the 2 years that I've had it.

I always put it down to the state of the engine itself, but now it has carried on doing it even after a complete engine rebuild.
    My 360 has the metric filter fitting, so this whole time I have been using Wix 51626 filters (probably about 6+ of them in that time).

A few days ago I switched over to an old Mopar 05012968AA that I had lying around and now the problem seems to be totally gone.
    It now builds pressure instantly with no noise at all, even when cold. The pressure stays higher for much longer too.

I know that Babywag has reported similar issues (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=184610) so I wanted to confirm that I've experienced the same.

Unfortunately, the Mopar 05012968AA that I'm now using hasn't been made in a long time so I need to find something else to use.
    What metric filters have you all had luck with?
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
    1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
    1974 Ford F100 390
  • acct21
    327 Rambler
    • May 20, 2014

Switch to the 3/4”x16 oil filter stud, and run the same filter you do on your 4.0L

I got tired of limited choices on the metric filters. Went to the 3/4”x16 and I can get them off the shelf anywhere — at truck stops, rural convenience stores, Home Depot, any GM/Ford/Mopar dealership, etc.

1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• ZackN920
      350 Buick
      • Nov 18, 2015

Are you ting me?! The Wix 51626 is all I've been using in mine. I thought it was supposed to be a better filter. Better than Fram anyways.

I have noticed that too though. Before the Wix, (i dont remember what it had) the guage would show pressure while cranking. With it, no pressure until the engine has turned over for a few seconds or when it starts up. (sometimes the wag sits for a week or so, so it takes longer crank time to refill the carb's bowl)

I just thought that was normal/ok as my engine doesn't make odd sounds durring start up or durring regular operation. It also has good cold and "normal" temp oil pressure. Now at high temps after a trip on the freeway, well after this latest oil/filter change i've been getting scary low pressure when I come to a stop at idle speed. The guage has been showing single digits... Still no odd sounds... Maybe the 10W30 Quaker State hm oil just gets that thin... idk. Dont like it though, the Jeep's only got 107K miles on it. It's still too young for needing a rebuild.
      1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
      Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
      ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• ZackN920
        350 Buick
        • Nov 18, 2015

Originally posted by acct21
        Switch to the 3/4”x16 oil filter stud, and run the same filter you do on your 4.0L
        People round here don't like Fram, and to be honest... that's what I run on my 4.0

Never had a problem... so far.
        1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
        Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
        ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• acct21
          327 Rambler
          • May 20, 2014

But you don’t have to...

I think I’ve got the Mobil 1 204 on mine now — last one before that was a Motorcraft FL-300.

I’ve run the Wix 51068 for years without any issues on startup. Now I
          just grab whatever decent filter is part of the oil change special...

Comment

• Brynjminjones
            258 I6
            • Jun 11, 2017

Thanks guys. I have thought about moving to the 3/4”x16 stud. In the mean time I'm going to try to find a metric filter that works for me.
            I'm in the UK so have to order any of these filters online anyway.

I've got a K&N HP-2007 on order which I'm going to try. I've watched a few dissection videos and they seem consistently well-made, plus I love the idea of the nut on the end to make it easier to remove.

With my 4.0s I've always used the Mopar 090 filters which have never caused any reason for concern.

Zack, those symptoms are very similar to mine, apart from that mine would make noise from the bottom end when starting up dry. At all other times the engine would behave normally, but I think my pressure generally stays a bit higher now the Wix is gone.
            It's strange, Wix seemingly have a great reputation but this filter seems awful in this respect.
            1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
            1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• acct21
              327 Rambler
              • May 20, 2014

Gordon (Gophman) is clunking around here somewhere. He's up near Edinburgh. He has the 3/4" x 16 stud on his '91 -- maybe he can update on filter availability for the 3/4" filters in the UK.

Comment

• acct21
                327 Rambler
                • May 20, 2014

The first 3/4" filter I ever ran on my '90 after I switched the stud over was an MO-090. Good filter from what I can recall. Certainly no oil pressure issues or dry starts.

Comment

• letank
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jun 03, 2002

I am running AC pf 46 (metric) and pf 24 for the standard on all riggs, interestingly, the 86 with the new dash and newer gauges electrical system registers pressure right away, albeit the older gauge on the 85 takes a while. On a older project with a mechanical gauge, while cranking the pressure goes up right away either with the starter or while hand priming the oil pump.

As for filter brands, the OEMs are generally much better made, for any manufacturer, Ford or Honda have more pleats when you take time to dismantle them.

The only time I ran a wix, after less than 50 miles I had a collapsed lifter, of course with near 200kmiles, it could have been a normal failure, but being the far away lifter, may not have been a coincidence after all
                  Michel
                  74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                  85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• gophman
                    232 I6
                    • Mar 05, 2015

Originally posted by acct21
                    Gordon (Gophman) is clunking around here somewhere. He's up near Edinburgh. He has the 3/4" x 16 stud on his '91 -- maybe he can update on filter availability for the 3/4" filters in the UK.
                    I've a few Wix 51085 filters in stock and a couple of slightly longer ones courtesy of Scott, never had an issue with startup pressure (usually shows pressure after a few seconds of turning over).

Comment

• 67GMC
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 13, 2016

Originally posted by ZackN920
                      People round here don't like Fram, and to be honest... that's what I run on my 4.0

Never had a problem... so far.
                      Same here (87 Cherokee and 84 Grand Wagoneer).
                      My Stable:
                      1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 5.9L, 4x4, Auto (newest project)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio, 2.0L, Manual
                      2005 Kia Sportage, 2.7L, Auto
                      2006 Toyota Sienna, 3.3L, Auto
                      2018 Toyota RAV4, 2.5L, Auto

Recent projects (no longer with us)
                      1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4X4, Auto
                      1967 GMC 910, 283V8, 4SPD (RIP)

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Here's what happened when I ran a Fram on my 401 (This was a double guard, too).
                        I was warned by folks not to run it but I never had any issues with Fram either so I ran it anyway. The second filter I ran was a Wix but I didn't get any pictures. When I opened the Wix, the filter media was thicker, the end caps were metal (instead of card board), the case was thicker, and it was generally a much better filter (I don't recall what part number). I was never a Fram hater until this happened. I searched around over on theamcforum.com and most folks there (and some on here, like S/C397) run Baldwin B9s. I picked a couple up at my local Grainger for, I think, about $7. This episode ABSOLUTELY changed my mind on Fram. There are some other independent reviews on youtube you should watch, too.

Looking down the throat:

Then I opened it up:

Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 67GMC
                          232 I6
                          • Mar 13, 2016

Not sure.
                          To me, the only test that matters is that it keeps the oil clean and debris out of engine. Not sure what it's supposed to look like after 5000 miles of oil through it and cut open after. That's the problem with all the anti-fram videos. I haven't seen one that actually tests what the filter is removing. That's what the filter is designed for. If it meets the specifications, that's all that matters as far as a filter goes.
                          My Stable:
                          1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 5.9L, 4x4, Auto (newest project)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio, 2.0L, Manual
                          2005 Kia Sportage, 2.7L, Auto
                          2006 Toyota Sienna, 3.3L, Auto
                          2018 Toyota RAV4, 2.5L, Auto

Recent projects (no longer with us)
                          1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4X4, Auto
                          1967 GMC 910, 283V8, 4SPD (RIP)

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                            258 I6
                            • Jun 11, 2017

Ouch, Rang-a-stang, that looks awful. I wasn't comfortable running something with cardboard endcaps for exactly that reason.

I can report that my Mopar filter is still giving me none of the problems the Wix gave me. I just started the GW up after sitting for 6 days. It started first turn of the key, built pressure immediately, and had no noise whatsoever.
                            The Wix would knock on startup after just sitting an hour or more.

I've now got a K&N filter that I will try next oil change.

I'm still thinking about the stud change and running a Mopar MO-090, but that will depend on how well I get on with the K&N.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                            1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
                              The Wix would knock on startup after just sitting an hour or more.
                              That has been my experience with Wix as well, they weren't always like that.
                              They changed something in design/manufacture and they're no longer good IMHO.

Had the same issue using a Wix on the wife's '09 Charger.
                              Don't run one on that engine any longer either.
                              Tony
                              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                              X