• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
    Shoot, don't you know nuthin? You just plug em in.
    BBBWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by Crankyolman
      That may be the case in some parts of the country but for lots of other places the squeeze is already being felt. The average daily commute is 25 minutes so for a lot of people electric or hybrid make sense. There are around 1.3 million plug in electric cars in the US and something like 3+ million hybrids. That's a lot of cars getting 50+ MPH don't pay their fair share of road use and you can bet the politicians are noticing. Here in Wa we have the second highest gas taxes in the country and there are a crap load of electrics and hybrids that not only get tax benefits but also pay little to nothing in road taxes and the state is feeling it and they are not alone.
      Oh I am sure they have noticed and are already starting to come up with ways to correct it.
      Kinda like what happened with south dakota Vs wayfair, and now most of us pay sales tax on online purchases.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...._Wayfair,_Inc.
      79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
      Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
      93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Mass
        232 I6
        • Sep 26, 2017

Ahh yesss. People's republic. Aka never never land. I heard they developed a fairy dust so people could just fly to where they were going. They had to toss the idea because it was too dangerous to the flying unicorns.

I'd actually like to have an EV. But the range needs to be better than 100 miles. The Tesla has excellent range at over 300 miles but my pockets will never go that deep.
        I contemplated converting my ranger to an EV but the cost is up there and the range is not good.
        Since I have everything to do it I thought about making it a bi-fuel cng vehicle with a home fueling station so I can fill up for $1/gallon... But the home compressor is like 5 grand. Can't justify basically buying 2-3 years worth of gas up front. ..or can I?
        Now I'm dead set on a mechanical diesel swap so I'll have 2 vehicles running on wmo mix.

In all honesty I can't believe we have gone this long without online sales tax. It seems like legitimate tax evasion. I'm not for it but I can definitely see the argument. Adult version of why is the sky blue? "Why are we taxed to make money and then taxed to spend it?" it just is and we just are.
        89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• lkmarsh
          350 Buick
          • Nov 21, 2008

We do have internet sales tax. State sales tax applies to items sold within the state, in my case California.
          When I buy an item from a vendor in the state, tax gets added to the bill. Heaven help us when the feds institute a national sales tax.
          Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
          69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
          68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
          68 Impala wagon 327/400
          73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
          04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
          73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

Originally posted by lkmarsh
            We do have internet sales tax. State sales tax applies to items sold within the state, in my case California.
            When I buy an item from a vendor in the state, tax gets added to the bill. Heaven help us when the feds institute a national sales tax.
            We do NOW, above was referencing how long it took to get that in place federally. There was over 20 years of state-to-state internet sales with no real way to enforce out of state sales tax at the federal level. A lot of tax revenue lost during that time, no doubt.

aa
            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• lkmarsh
              350 Buick
              • Nov 21, 2008

Illinois wants a $1000 surcharge added to electric car buyers' vehicle registrations.

Supposedly to offset forgone gas taxes. Uh-Huh. Illinois doesn't already
              have utility taxes in place?

Silicon Valley commuters are already expecting charging stations at work,
              and the PRK has no excess generating capacity anywhere. Overnight
              charging makes sense now because rates are lower at night, but rising
              nighttime demand will erase the difference.

Until Liquid Electricity become real, I don't see a Tesla in my future.
              Lyle

68 Impala wagon 327/400
              04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
              73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Until Teslas are available for less than $5k, have rust, stink, and piss of my HOA when they are parked in my front yard, I don't see one in my future either.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Mass
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 26, 2017

Agreed. Texas apparently only has about a 7.5% reserve margin on the grid. They predict a rough summer this year. Thousands and thousands of new homes with thousands of new ac units buzzing non stop when it gets close to triple digits. Not to mention the thousands of d-nozzles driving around Dallas in their Teslas needing to charge up every time they drive to Starbucks for over priced coffee and bagels with avocado butter. I blame them for everything lol

I don't understand charging stations for employees though. it's like volunteer handicap spots for people who decided to buy a range-limited handicapped vehicle. Why throw them a bone?
                  If I ever see one pop up where I work I'll ask my boss for similarly fair diesel "iv drip" when I park at work.. I want a free full tank too!
                  I'm fine with the $1,000/year tax.
                  It should also be like insurance where if you don't pay it you get towed.

In all honesty though it would be neat to have an electric vehicle. Till you need to pull a 20,000lbs+ trailer across the country.
                  I'm excited to see the Rivian 4x4 trucks and SUVs hit the market. It's just the low prices and Infrastructure aren't there yet.
                  Last edited by Mass; 05-17-2019, 09:42 PM.
                  89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• lkmarsh
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 21, 2008

Last time I was in an airport I saw people scrambling to find a 110 outlet to charge their toys.
                    Looking through search results from DuckDuckGo for silicon valley charging stations, I see
                    it is worse than I could comprehend. Renters, hotel/motel guests, doctors, pretty much everyone
                    who works there or visits there with an ev is fighting for plug time. New construction
                    has to have charging stations. Are stack'n'packs exempt since they don't have to provide parking anyway?
                    The recent power plant construction here consists of peaking plants using 747 engines burning kerosene.
                    I don't see the sustainability in this, nor is this anywhere near carbon neutral.
                    The noise is something else.
                    That is why San Jose's Metcalf Plant was supposed to be built here in the valley, with
                    wires going over the hill into South San Jose. That died a quick death.
                    When new power plants are built, the cynic in me says the only fuel available in sufficient
                    quantity to create enough electricity to replace internal combustion engines will be gasoline.
                    Lyle

68 Impala wagon 327/400
                    04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
                    73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

Working...
                    X