Starts up, runs few seconds, then dies???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • like2wheel
    232 I6
    • Mar 30, 2002

Starts up, runs few seconds, then dies???

This is from a cold start.
    Pump 3-4 times. Turn it over. It ususally fires right up. It runs for a few seconds on high idle and then dies. I pump it a couple more times, fire it up, and it starts fine. Runs a few more seconds, then dies. I repeat this about 6 times before it will stay running. If, when it is about to die, I gingerly apply the gas. It will keep running. I have to feather the gas for a couple of minutes before it all smooths out. It starts and runs fine after it is FULLY warmed up.
    This is for a 84 w/360, TFI, new module. Any help??

Thanks!
    84 Grand Wagoneer<br />46 CJ2A<br />79 Toyota Trail Truck
  • Franklinstein
    258 I6
    • Feb 17, 2003

Boy that sounds familiar...my 1980 Wagon has been doing the same thing lately. For the moment, it seems like a timing issue (at least with mine)but i would also check your air filter and make sure your choke is working properly.
    Franklinstein<br />1980 Wagoneer Limited<br />Stock 360 V-8, stock MotoCrap carb<br />727 Tranny, Rust comes standard! <br />Mountain Mud & Colorado Rust FSJ\'s are a Must!<br />Tailgate window now goes up and down YEA!! (Can I get an AMEN!)<br />`84 Waggy has been SOLD!<br />-----------------------------------<br />\"The only thing an FSJ owner needs to know about owning an FSJ is how \"thin\" owning an FSJ will make his/her wallet\"

Comment

• like2wheel
      232 I6
      • Mar 30, 2002

Brand new air filter. Choke looks to be working fine. The timing should be OK. I cant check the timing while it is on high idle. Well, I guess I could but it would be way advanced. I am sure that is OK since it runs OK once warm. Maybe that CTO deal I have heard of?? Thanks for the response.

Comment

• Don S
        • Feb 06, 2002

like2wheel...
        ... The first thing to do would be sure the engine is getting fuel. With the engine having just died and NOT running is pull the Air Cleaner, look for fuel pools on the manifold, a sign of a float problem.
        ... Next look down in the carburetor. Is the choke valve wide open? If OK look down in the carburetor and open the throttle 4 times. If a fair amount of fuel squirts out then the accelerator and fuel pump would seem to be OK. If OK then check the vacuum advance system in the distributor.
        ... On the older FSJs I pull the cap and see if the point plate advances when a vacuum is applied to the little nipple on the distributor … You thought I was going to say… ’I suck’… well …I do..

… The choke systems have a fast idle cam that is ‘stepped for different speeds at different choke settings. Carbon also forms and can ‘choke-up’ the small passageways that are used to heat the intake manifold and choke systems causing a ‘cold natured’ engine.
        ... Check the operation of the hot air riser to the air cleaner that warms the air and the operation of the exhaust heat riser that warms the manifold and carburetor.
        ... These items aid in vaporizing the fuel and help prevent the engine from being cold ‘natured’and can be plugged with CARBON. BUT after the engine has warmed up they can help cause Vapor Lock or float-bowl boil-over.
        ... Gasoline is very sensitive to temperature for proper atomization.

It could be a cat cadaver plugged up in the Catalytic converter or tail pipe
        Good Luck and CUL.. Don S..

[ March 21, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Don S ]
        Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
        It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
        ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• like2wheel
          232 I6
          • Mar 30, 2002

Thanks for the info. I have done/checked some of the items you listed but not all. I will try this over the weekend maybe. I also appreciate the links. They were great. It did have a cat in the exhaust. I dont know how it got there but I removed it.

Comment

• Brown Bear
            304 AMC
            • Apr 09, 2000

low fuel flow or pressure is my best guess. Mine did the same thing till i installed an electric fuel pump, now all taken care of.
            NathanielButts
            IFSJA Member #18
            RIP-USS Minnow-The three hour tour is over.
            MacGuyver - 1985 Grand Wagoneer
            TFI, Edel Intake, Holley 80457S (yeah, it's shiney), K8600, K&N, Taylor Wires, Ford HD springs, and way freakin' cooooooool

Comment

Working...
            X