• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSJeeper
    King of Unfinished Projects
    • May 20, 2000

cummins 6bta Diesel Wagoneer Project

Down to final decisions before I start pulling the stock drivetrain out of my 91 Wagoneer Project. I have been emailing my diesel guru buds at the various diesel swap pages as well as having a final discussion and debate last weekend with our Texas FSJ diesel authority who pioneered the FSJ GM 6.2/6.5 and 6BT swaps years ago. The 6BT FSJ has been his daily driver ever since then. He recently sold his Cummins M715 which is up north now. I have been very lucky to have been a part in all of the several FSJ diesel swaps that were done in his shop.

Final decision is that I am going with the Cummins 6BT instead of the built GM 6.5 I have. His recomendation was an automatic but I prefer a standard so I am going with a NV4500 and a NP205. The Cummins 6BT I have has only 60K miles on it. I am mildly upgrading the turbo to a HX-35, upgrading the injectors, and modding the injection pump a bit. Should pull 250hp out of it and still get excellent fuel mileage with it. It WILL NOT be intercooled. Don't need it for this specific application based on my experience now with early Dodges.

I bought a 91 Dodge Cummins truck for the donor for this project but am using a different engine I have that is basically new. I have driven this truck a lot now and have a 2004.5 Dodge Cummins truck to compare it to. Yes, the 24 vavle Dodge has more HP, but the 12 valve torque comes on so soon and stays flat at lower rpms. Very driveable. Plus it gets excellent fuel mileage which I can not say for my 24 valve truck. In short, the 12 valve is perfect for my needs in the Wagoneer whos focus will be a daily driver and hopefully a fuel mileage king.

Willie has pre-engineered the swap and all of the details which have been test proven for many miles and years on the road and totally insane offroad thrashing as well as competition tractor pulls. If the Cummins could survive that guy, it will have no issue for me in this project.

I bought another set of the early Dodge Dana 61/71 axles with the 3.07 gearing in them for this. They are exactly like the set I bought for the crewcab.

I know that on very rare occasions I have been known to change my mind, but I think I am settled on this direction. I am open to any other ideas before I start tearing out the stock Jeep drivetrain.

PICS of the project wagoneer:

In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

That's a sweet Waggie Pascal.

The main concern that I would have would be beefing the front suspension enough to take the weight of the 6BT.
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• etjeep
      350 Buick
      • Oct 03, 2003

Sounds like a sweet project. I agree with Lindel's comment on the weight issue, that would be my concern as well. I guess you have the spacing worked out in the engine bay. Must be very tight. I will be following this build. I would like to build a DD like this some day.
      Later.....
      Eric

Comment

Talk, talk, talk. Where's a wrench??
        Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
        Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• FSJeeper
          • May 20, 2000

Originally posted by Lindel
          That's a sweet Waggie Pascal.

The main concern that I would have would be beefing the front suspension enough to take the weight of the 6BT.
          I am going to start with Willie's recipe cause it worked so well for him for years with zero issues. Willie used STOCK M715 springs with one leaf removed. He bead blasted them, painted them in lubriplate, and put nylon sliders between the leafs. His M715 rode very nicely. If it is too harsh for the wagoneer, I'll take another leaf out or jest get some custom springs made.
          In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• FSJeeper
            • May 20, 2000

Originally posted by Valdez Explorer
            Talk, talk, talk. Where's a wrench??
            Most people do not plan to fail, they fail to plan. I am in the planning stage.
            Last edited by FSJeeper; 12-05-2007, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• N2Jeeps
              232 I6
              • Oct 14, 2006

FS Jeeper

I obsessed on every part of my project from the drive train down to which flared fittings I would use on the fuel system. You need to plan like this to make it a successful project.

When I finished mine she started the first time I hit the button and has never thrown a code. Proper planning will make all the difference.

That is one clean GW and should make an awesome project!

Tony - N2Jeeps
              1986 GW Vortec 5.7/4L60E/NP241c/D44s-ARBs-4.10, Rancho 9000s, 33x12.5s, Dakota Digital Dash & fan controller, Lawrance Baja GPS, Rhino grill, Dozer II swingout rear bumper, Wincher front bumper, Hydro Boost, MM12K winch

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

I have to hand it to you, that is a challenge I don't think I could take on. And yeah, you need to have a well thought out plan in place. Sure, it will take a turn now but with something this complicated, a good plan is a must.
                82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• addicted
                  Big Meanie
                  • Dec 11, 2004

You should pull down mid 20's at the very least with those gears and an overdrive. They used those gears behind the 727 auto's and 3:54's in the manuals with the Getrag. I get 20 or better depending on the fuel I can find for my 92' extended cab W250 with an A518 non lock-up auto, 3:54's and an NP205. I used to average 22 mpg before the ULSD was everywhere.
                  The last time I came back from my parents in S.C. I found a Texaco with B20 and got 22mpg on the freeway running 75mph that kind of speed usually nets me 19 mpg at best with an almost 8000 lb truck.

I do the love the power and growl of the mighty 12V Cummins. Now if only I can stumble upon an NV4500 for cheap, (and when I have the money) I will be able to pick up another mpg or so and get rid of the power robbing inefficient slush box.
                  Originally posted by Ristow
                  i bet it was Simon....
                  he's such big meanie that way...
                  please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• j20brett
                    360 AMC
                    • Jul 05, 2006

thats one clean waggy there Pascal. but it sure would look better with a razor up front
                    Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• COLOFIREMAN
                      Gone,But not Forgotten.
                      • Apr 09, 2005

Very clean Waggy!! I also thought of the 6BT, but the 4BTA that I'm using just seemed to fit alot better. I can center the weight more by moving the motor back and lower in the frame and have room for the intercooler. There are disadvantages to no intercooler but I think your swap is going to be a great daliy driver/wheeler.
                      GOOD LUCK!!!!!
                      Jason in the Mountains
                      1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
                      1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
                      1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
                      1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
                      1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
                      1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

• FSJeeper
                        • May 20, 2000

Originally posted by COLOFIREMAN
                        Very clean Waggy!! I also thought of the 6BT, but the 4BTA that I'm using just seemed to fit alot better. I can center the weight more by moving the motor back and lower in the frame and have room for the intercooler. There are disadvantages to no intercooler but I think your swap is going to be a great daliy driver/wheeler.
                        GOOD LUCK!!!!!
                        I was very, very close to choosing a 4BT. To be honest, it was the noise level that pretty much killed that deal for me. Vibration issues were second. For a weekend truck or something like that it would have been perfect, but not for a biz use vehicle. If it would have been quieter though, there would be no doubt I would have gone 4BT. I think I could have probably got close to 30mpg with it. I have followed your swap over at the 4btswaps page, nice job!

I am lucky in that all of the details of the swap have already been figured out and tried and proven over years of use from my Jeep buddy.

Comment

• Tanker (MWJT)
                          230 Tornado
                          • Nov 27, 2007

Can you post a link to that 4bt build?
                          "my Jeep doesn't leak, it's just marking it's territory"

Comment

• FSJeeper
                            • May 20, 2000

Originally posted by Tanker (MWJT)
                            Can you post a link to that 4bt build?

Comment

Truth be known.....you are probably doing my planning for me.
                              Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                              Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

Working...
                              X