• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darwin1876
    232 I6
    • Jan 16, 2015

Roof console lights

On my 89 GW the two rear push button lights dont function and are stuck in place. Before I just pry them off and risk breaking them. Does anyone know how they are designed to come off?
    78 J10
    88 Grand Wagoneer
    89 Grand Wagoneer
    72 J4000
    64 J200 (parts truck)
  • racegas
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 15, 2012

They come out of the top of the console, once you drop it.
    'Robert E Lee'
    89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

• Darwin1876
      232 I6
      • Jan 16, 2015

Originally posted by racegas
      They come out of the top of the console, once you drop it.
      How does it come down exactly?
      78 J10
      88 Grand Wagoneer
      89 Grand Wagoneer
      72 J4000
      64 J200 (parts truck)

Comment

• racegas
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 15, 2012

There is a screw in the very front, centered over the mirror, to the rear. If you look closely, you should be able to see a flaw in the fabric covering where a screwdriver has penetrated it. Use a thin shafted one to remove it. It's been a while, but I think there is another one to the rear. Look at the parts manual or repair guide that you can download for free on oljeep.com.
        'Robert E Lee'
        89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

• Darwin1876
          232 I6
          • Jan 16, 2015

Originally posted by racegas
          There is a screw in the very front, centered over the mirror, to the rear. If you look closely, you should be able to see a flaw in the fabric covering where a screwdriver has penetrated it. Use a thin shafted one to remove it. It's been a while, but I think there is another one to the rear. Look at the parts manual or repair guide that you can download for free on oljeep.com.

Thanks!!
          78 J10
          88 Grand Wagoneer
          89 Grand Wagoneer
          72 J4000
          64 J200 (parts truck)

Comment

• acct21
            327 Rambler
            • May 20, 2014

Should be one more screw when you open the door for the sunglasses tray or the garage door opener -- can't remember which.
            1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• Darwin1876
              232 I6
              • Jan 16, 2015

Originally posted by acct21
              Should be one more screw when you open the door for the sunglasses tray or the garage door opener -- can't remember which.

I found that one thanks!!!
              78 J10
              88 Grand Wagoneer
              89 Grand Wagoneer
              72 J4000
              64 J200 (parts truck)

Comment

• tensley
                232 I6
                • Apr 18, 2014

I dealt with this recentley

When you get the screws out slide the console towards the rear. When it comes down you will see how it hooks back into place. Turn the console over and you will see the little black buttons that are pressed in when you press the light in. In my case, the buttons were gunked up and were not pushing all the way down. I used rubbing alcohol and a pick tool and cleaned it really well. They work great now and even have that clicking sound when pressed. Hope this helps

Comment

• Darwin1876
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 16, 2015

Originally posted by tensley
                  When you get the screws out slide the console towards the rear. When it comes down you will see how it hooks back into place. Turn the console over and you will see the little black buttons that are pressed in when you press the light in. In my case, the buttons were gunked up and were not pushing all the way down. I used rubbing alcohol and a pick tool and cleaned it really well. They work great now and even have that clicking sound when pressed. Hope this helps
                  I haven't pulled it down quite yet. I need to soon though. Thanks for the tips that is some great information.
                  78 J10
                  88 Grand Wagoneer
                  89 Grand Wagoneer
                  72 J4000
                  64 J200 (parts truck)

Comment

Working...
                  X