• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • threepiece
    350 Buick
    • Sep 17, 2005

The Cherokee Chief myth

It seems there is some missunderstanding as to what a Cherokee Chief is. Some believe the Indian head emblem found on all Cherokees from 1975 to 1980 (maby later) means it is a Chief. Others believe (as I did at one time)the Chief is a body style characterized by a wide track width and large fender flares. It is actually a trim package found only on the Model 17 (wide track two door). Other Cherokee trim packages include the "S", Golden Eagle and Lerado. I hope some of you find this helpful, Dan.
    FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
    We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
    We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
    Resistance is not futile yet.
    Are you and your children connected yet?
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

Actually, the "Chief" package was availible on the 4-door n/t Cherokee as well.
    Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• grand_wag_85
      Murphy's Law Poster Child
      • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by KaiserMan
      Yes but VERY rare.

I have been kinda wondering about this myself, what exactly did the Chief trim package include besides the stripe and lettering that set it apart from the S and Laredos?
      You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
      '88 GW
      '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• KaiserMan
        I got the Willys....
        • Jun 21, 2005

Good link here in our tech library.

The largest resource for full size Jeep information on the net! The IFSJA is a community of owners and enthusiasts of SJ series Full Size Jeeps.
        Thomas Russell
        1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
        1971 Gladiator
        J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
        1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• james1414d
          350 Buick
          • Oct 08, 2002

yea, have owned/parted two 4 door chiefs.
          Super wagoneer gone!

Comment

• grand_wag_85
            • Dec 03, 2003

Thanks for clearing that up...Always wondered why some model 17's had the 4WD and chief head badges flipped arround like that.

'82 J10
            '88 GW
            '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• 79kp
              232 I6
              • Jun 27, 2003

My model 18 has four doors, the indian stripe around the body, the indian head badges on the fenders and the glove box, the 4 wheel drive insignia, but is not a Chief. My model 17 only has the indian head badge on the glove box, and the trim is golden eagle, it is not a Chief either.
              79 Cherokee WT Golden Eagle,360 Holley 2bbl,K&N,TFI, TH400,Qt w/part-time and low range,D44's 3.54,Aux fuel tank,Tow package. 79 4 door chero,spare parts.

Comment

• Tonka J200
                360 AMC

• Jul 21, 2002

This has been one of the little things that gets under my skin here, but it is just a little thing and I just roll with it now.

My best deffinition is; Unless it came FROM THE FACTORY with big letters on the side proclaiming "CHEROKEE CHIEF", it aint a Chief..

I've had lots of people come to me asking for decals for their Chief, when they really need decals for their Cherokee "S". Leads to confusion...

Dan (threepiece188)-
                It's nice to see you posting some here! I have the '79 Cherokee Chief decals reproduced whenever you're ready for some.
                -Frank
                '63 J200 2WD
                '63 J200 4WD: J20 Axles, extended wheelbase, factory stakebed
                '63 J100 Panel Delivery
                '91 Grand Wagoneer Final Edition
                "If you're going to laugh about it someday, you might as well start now".

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                  • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by Tonka J200
                  This has been one of the little things that gets under my skin here, but it is just a little thing and I just roll with it now.

My best deffinition is; Unless it came FROM THE FACTORY with big letters on the side proclaiming "CHEROKEE CHIEF", it aint a Chief..

I've had lots of people come to me asking for decals for their Chief, when they really need decals for their Cherokee "S". Leads to confusion...

Dan (threepiece188)-
                  It's nice to see you posting some here! I have the '79 Cherokee Chief decals reproduced whenever you're ready for some.
                  Are these the rocker& tailgate decals or the 'elevated stripe' decals?

'82 J10
                  '88 GW
                  '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Tonka J200
                    360 AMC

• Jul 21, 2002

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
                    Are these the rocker& tailgate decals or the 'elevated stripe' decals?
                    The '79 is the one that runs through the middle of the door.
                    I also have the one that goes at the bottom of the door ('75 to '78).
                    Both versions used the same decal for the tailgate as far as I can tell - and I have those available as well.
                    -Frank
                    '63 J200 2WD
                    '63 J100 Panel Delivery

Comment

• Gambler68
                      Rabble Rouser
                      • Feb 29, 2004

I saw pix of mine before the repaint, and it had the sw stripe, said Cherokee Chief in fancy script on the top rear quarter, and has the southwest pattern trim package and little chief on the glovebox door. So I'm callin' it a Chief and that's that :P
                      1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                      1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• RAMBLINFSJ
                        350 Buick
                        • Oct 31, 2006

Originally posted by KaiserMan
                        Very true. I own one (a '77) that I am parting out. It also has denim door panels with "Levi" buttons on them. Was there a Cherokee Chief "Levi Edition"?
                        1984 Wagoneer
                        1977 Cherokee Chief (401)
                        1982 J-20
                        1965 AMC Rambler American 220

Comment

Originally posted by Gambler68
                          I saw pix of mine before the repaint, and it had the sw stripe, said Cherokee Chief in fancy script on the top rear quarter, and has the southwest pattern trim package and little chief on the glovebox door. So I'm callin' it a Chief and that's that :P
                          if its a script it doesn't sound factory to me. maybe a dealer did put it on, but just to raise the price a bit. like on a lot of chevy pickups, most running around with the infamous z-71 off-road badges are not factory z-71s at all.

FWIW, my jeep IS a chief. i just removed the decals. pic when i bought it:

wow, i forgot how goofy it looked when i got it!

what drives me a little nuts is people calling their rigs 'chief s' models. its either one or the other, 'chief' OR 's'. not both. darn jeep and their stupid badges. so confusing.

Al
                          Last edited by AlsChopShop; 03-28-2007, 10:26 AM.
                          79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                          99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                          07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• Tonka J200
                            360 AMC

• Jul 21, 2002

Originally posted by RAMBLINFSJ
                            Very true. I own one (a '77) that I am parting out. It also has denim door panels with "Levi" buttons on them. Was there a Cherokee Chief "Levi Edition"?
                            The Chief package and the Levi's interior were two seperate packages, but were often ordered together.

And I don't mean to nit-pick, but as far as I know, the Chief package wasn't offered on a 4-door until '81. It had the lower body painted matte black and had "Cherokee Chief" on the doors in black lettering. Before '81 you could get a Cherokee "S" in a 4-door with the southwest stripe and the Cherokee head emblem, but that doesn't make it a Chief.

This photo is from a 1981 brochure, and the red and black Jeep in the upper right is the first reference I can find to a 4 door Chief:

-Frank
                            '63 J200 2WD
                            '63 J100 Panel Delivery

Comment

• Gambler68
                              Rabble Rouser
                              • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by AlsChopShop
                              if its a script it doesn't sound factory to me. maybe a dealer did put it on, but just to raise the price a bit. like on a lot of chevy pickups, most running around with the infamous z-71 off-road badges are not factory z-71s at all.

what drives me a little nuts is people calling their rigs 'chief s' models. its either one or the other, 'chief' OR 's'. not both. darn jeep and their stupid badges. so confusing.

Al
                              Well its a 79 and has the fancy rear trim in the pile (all was removed). *shrug* Once the black bottom sticker is gone, besides that trim, there's no way to tell, right? (mine was stripped and repainted). Guess I gotta ask the PO
                              1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                              1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                              The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                              X