• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mutt
    230 Tornado
    • May 03, 2006

Just bought my first Jeep... few questions

Hey All,

I just bought my first Jeep tonight and have some questions. It's a 1987 Grand Wagoneer. I just swapped a Cummins 4BT into a 1967 Bronco and love it due to the power and 30 mpg I'm getting now. I plan to do the same with the Grand Wagoneer. I already have the Cummins and an NV4500 tranny, but am undecided on the t-case.

I went to pick up the Jeep tonight and the weather here is simply not cooperating (Colorado). Here are my questions. What is up with the front axle? It appears to be a Dana 44 driver side drop, but I'm unsure and know NOTHING about Jeeps. This is sort of a crash course education for me. Also, there seems to be a shortage of FSJ forums out there that are actually helpful. This one appears to be one of the better ones I've found.

I'm just looking for some info about the Axle setup. It appears to have auto locking hubs because there is no selector on the outer hubs. Is this right? Are they full time engaged, or is there some sort of vacumn controller on the axle? (It was dark, muddy, and two front flat tires... no way I could see) Can this axle be converted to selectable hubs like the Chevy and Ford Dana 44's?

That's pretty much it for the questions. Does anybody know of a Waggy that has been converted to a diesel before? I would appreciate any links you guys can provide. From what I understand, the AMC 360 weighs 580 pounds, which is 100 pounds lighter than the Cummins. Do you guys have a suggestion for custom springs, or do you think they are necessary. I want 4" of lift and 32" tires.

Sorry to sound like such a newby, but .... well... I am.

My purchase was a '87 GW completely rust free. Everything works including power windows, power seats, ac, etc. The engine knocks because it was starved of oil on a boat ramp (this is why he sold it).

I got it for $500. Seemed like a fair price. Comments?

Thanks, and a pleasure to meet you all...

Jim
  • Elliott
    Cowboy Up
    • Jun 22, 2002

Not that familiar with the later axles, I believe it is vacumn disconnect. I don't know if your NV4500 is 2 or 4wd but if 2wd you could run a divorced Ford NP205 Tcase if that'l fit with the stock gas tank. If your 4500 is 4wd you could possible mate it to a Ford NP208/205 with an input swap and either a clocking ring or redrill you adaptor bolt pattern onto the TC.
    There's a guy on here that put a 4bt in his M715, probably ran a divorced case IIRC. You can search here using "4bt" and it'll probably pull up. Also search at www.m715zone.com
    Last edited by Elliott; 05-04-2006, 04:59 AM.
    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Mutt
      Hey All,

Here are my questions. What is up with the front axle? It appears to be a Dana 44 driver side drop, but I'm unsure and know NOTHING about Jeeps. This is sort of a crash course education for me. Also, there seems to be a shortage of FSJ forums out there that are actually helpful. This one appears to be one of the better ones I've found.

I'm just looking for some info about the Axle setup. It appears to have auto locking hubs because there is no selector on the outer hubs. Is this right? Are they full time engaged, or is there some sort of vacumn controller on the axle? (It was dark, muddy, and two front flat tires... no way I could see) Can this axle be converted to selectable hubs like the Chevy and Ford Dana 44's?
      Yup in an 87 it's a conventional D44 front axle and a centered D44 rear. Stock gearing will be either 2.73 or the optional 3.31's(std w/tow package).
      The front doesn't have auto-hubs it's just engaged all the time and yes you can easily install manual unlocking hubs in it.

BJ's Offroad, Rusty's and other make lift kits for these but they don't take into consideration a dsl swap(extra weight). For extra beef you might want some custom springs made up from National Spring?

The swap you're doing dozens of us here have thought and drooled about. Please keep good records and take lots of pics so we can all learn. Oh yeah Mutt welcome to the forums. This one is 'the" place for FSJ info.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
        304 AMC
        • Feb 02, 2006

post lots of pics when you do it, and by all means, do it...

d44 outers are 'essentially' the same, so lockouts are no problem, and iirc, the 87 will not have a vac disco axle...

are you sourcing the 3.9's from GM bread vans or ?

peace
        Dave
        There is no way to rule innocent men.
        The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
        Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
        One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• J10Mike
          Delightfully Incompetent
          • Jun 04, 2003

also, if i may add to what those guys said. i have lift springs and added 235 pounds of a bumper/winch combo. i did not notice a decrease in height. i did notice that the front springs seemed less stiff if anything.
          Oh...Welcome aboard.
          www.j10mike.com
          Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• my88wgn
            350 Buick
            • May 08, 2003

don't have any info for your swap but as you know by now.the front is a D44.but hey you found the #1 place for fsj info.part of being able to post & ask ?'s is that progress pics are manditory welcome.

Comment

• trailsforus
              327 Rambler
              • Sep 05, 2002

yes yes yes...lots of pictures and step=by-steps if possible cause the 4bt swap is in my (wayyyy distant) future.

-Dillon
              1974 NT Cherokee
              AMC 360 V-8
              Auto tranny
              rust was an option this year.

Comment

• Carl Rasmussen
                350 Buick
                • Mar 11, 2004

As far as you Diesel Swap I want to do the same thing pm me please
                Carl Rasmussen
                No more cable bills
                Android TV box Full setup and configured $150 https://youtu.be/7bAm9RzIgms

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                  • Mar 20, 2005

A 4" lift should be OK with 32"s. If the engine is really lighter than the AMC, you're probably fine with regular 4" lift springs. Otherwise, Alcan can make new ones for you, and depending on where you live in CO, you can drive over and pick em up yourself.

Don't forget to check out www.cfsja. We're the local Colorado spinoff of the IFSJA.
                  Ethan Brady
                  1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Mutt
                    230 Tornado
                    • May 03, 2006

My turn to answer a few questions...

Wow, there are a lot of you guys interesting in the swap. I received a bunch of PM's and emails with questions about the Bronco/Cummins swap. Well here goes a few specs:
                    • Cummins 4Bt CPL 858 w/ 105hp and 285 lb/ft torque stock
                    • The 16 CM turbo was replaced with a Holset 9 cm turbo because the smaller turbo works more effieciently with the light-weight (4800) pound Bronco
                    • It is not intercooled, anymore. I did have a bar/plate Spearco intercooler on it, but found that it did more harm than good because of the light load placed on the engine.
                    • By simply adjusting two screws on the injector pump, it is now dyno'ed at 155 hp and 475 lb/ft torque, at the wheel, at 1650 rpm. Don't let the 155 hp figure fool you, it out acclerates my old 289 that was originally in the Bronco.
                    • Tranny is an NV4500 out of a full size Dodge utilizing the tranny/engine plate that comes on the 6BT Cummins/Dodge trucks. In other words, I used all over-the-counter parts. NO ADAPTERS.
                    • I could have used an NP241 t-case from a gasoline dodge 4x4, but it was too large to fit between the narrow frame rails of the Bronco. Thus, the reason for the Atlas II. I do plan on using an NP241 in the Grand Wagoneer as it is internally pump lubed and is synchronized so I can shift on the fly at highway speeds. I'm not building a crawler out of the Jeep, more of a trail runner, camper, fishing rig that will get groceries as easily as take me to Grizzly Lake for some fly-fishing.
                    • I have been sourcing my Cummins 4BT's from Frito-Lay step vans. Most of the vans come with TH400 tranny's and hydroboost. The most I have ever paid for a van is $2300. I then sell the aluminum body to a local recycler for $850. He gives me $75 for the frame. And the rear ends are popular swaps for RV. I've sold two for $250 each. As you can see, when scrapping out the whole van, the engine typically cost no more than $1000.
                    Here is a link to my Bronco site. https://home.comcast.net/~jcmiley/ Don't you guys judge me for driving a Ford. I'm an equal opportunity vehicle sort of guy. Not really partial to any particular brand. Everybody has their gems and.... well.... their turds for lack of a better term. My inventory currently includes a Duramax, BMW, Bronco, Jeep, Olds 442, and a Frito-Lay van!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have on the conversion, or anything else for that matter. I love helping friends out and of course making new friends.

Looking forward to contributing here,

Jim

Comment

• Mutt
                      230 Tornado
                      • May 03, 2006

Originally posted by J10Mike
                      also, if i may add to what those guys said. i have lift springs and added 235 pounds of a bumper/winch combo. i did not notice a decrease in height. i did notice that the front springs seemed less stiff if anything.
                      Oh...Welcome aboard.

That is good to know! Seems BDS is a very popular brand for spring/lifts.

Jim

Comment

• Mutt
                        230 Tornado
                        • May 03, 2006

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
                        A 4" lift should be OK with 32"s. If the engine is really lighter than the AMC, you're probably fine with regular 4" lift springs. Otherwise, Alcan can make new ones for you, and depending on where you live in CO, you can drive over and pick em up yourself.

Don't forget to check out www.cfsja. We're the local Colorado spinoff of the IFSJA.
                        Thanks Ethan, I went with some Alcans on a Blazer project several years ago and was very pleased.

Jim

Comment

• Mutt
                          230 Tornado
                          • May 03, 2006

Parts Houses

I should probably ask this in a new thread in the General Forum, but since you guys have been so responsive....

Where are you guys sourcing your parts from. Interior, seals, body trim, etc...? I found a few (literally ... few) online sources but HOLY COW. I thought Bronco parts were expensive. I stumbled across one outfit in TX that is selling GW's for around $25k! I've been offered close to that for my Bronco, but it is heavily modified and I think I could justify that price. Those GW's in TX looked to be stock with new paint. Don't get me wrong, they look nice, but ****!

Jim

Comment

• trailsforus
                            327 Rambler
                            • Sep 05, 2002

If you dont know about http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ already you should. they are the number one fsj part suppliers...they might be the only dedicated one actually.

I will be reading up on your 4bt swap.

PS; looking forward to a fsj dedicated site also...the bronco cant have all the webspace can it?

-Dillon
                            Last edited by trailsforus; 05-04-2006, 07:59 PM.
                            1974 NT Cherokee
                            AMC 360 V-8
                            Auto tranny
                            rust was an option this year.

Comment

• skunked
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 07, 2004

BTW did you know JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket?
                              Scout Jeep Jeep

Comment

Working...
                              X